El Camino del Rey

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

El Camino del Rey

Postby ashfieb » Thu May 05, 2011 3:51 pm

This at El Chorro,only 1/2 hour from us, never tried the walk ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs ... r_embedded
Cheers, Barry

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: El Camino del Rey

Postby Miro » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Funding to the tune of something like 9 million euros has finally been approved to renovate the path over the next five years. Should become quite a tourist attraction when finished.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

I watched a video of it a while back and have been to the area. If they re instate that walk that will be awesome.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 am

Not good with heights myself. A ladder to the first floor is about my limit. Think I'll give it a miss but I can see how some will find it exciting!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat May 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Miro wrote:Funding to the tune of something like 9 million euros has finally been approved to renovate the path over the next five years. Should become quite a tourist attraction when finished.
It needs to attract a lot of paying tourists to pay for that sort of investment.
No wonder Spain is in so much financial trouble.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 pm

I think its the kind of investment that is needed if Spain is to catch up with other European nations infrastructure in Rural Tourism.
Mapping, signposting, trail maintenance, new routes, interprative centers. centers of hiking and hillwalking excellence.
All these things will add huge value to the Spanish tourist package.

Ask anyone how many nights they rent their villas, apartments, cortijos OUTSIDE of the high season of June to August???

In a country where the weather is better for walking from October to April than it is anywhere in Northern Europe, there should be a lot more Active tourists coming to Spain.

Summer Walking holidays in Austria, Switzerland, south Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, North Italy is a huge industry.

Spain barely scratches the surface of this market. Routes like the Camino del Rey, Santiago de Compestela, or even Guy Hunter-Watts Trans-Andalucia Long Distance Walk is the kind of flagship routes that will bring the walkers here for a look.
Once they come they will return.
The hillwalking here in Andalucia is great, especially during the off-season when the accommodation is cheap and the flights cheaper.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I agree with hiker.
The promotion of such activities out of high season is one of the best ways to attract visitors and help improve the economy.
Where I live, they have no idea how to promote the wonderful opportunities to practise many activities, apart from in Spanish.

Andalucia.com Editor
Tourist

Postby Andalucia.com Editor » Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am

As we say on our page
http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/chorro/home.htm

"On January 21 2006 the regional government announced that there were funds available in the 2006 budget to make repairs to the path."

Nothing happened and another budget announcement was made this year.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Very interesting.
We used to have a Minister for Special Announcements back in Ireland but he was made redundant.....after a Special Announcement. :clap:
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)