Cabin bag crisis is nearing

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Cabin bag crisis is nearing

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 am

What no one appears to consider in there search to carry the most whilst paying least is that if all passengers have only hand luggage, what's in the hold ? It's not empty is it ? No it 's carrying freight .
What's the problem with this I hear you ask ?
Well , considering the detailed & invasive searches the passengers are subject to it would appear that the freight , because of the sheer daily quantiity, doesn't get the same attention. It doesn't all get searched at the airport but is signed off by various authorised carriers , the majority off site, & delivered in as checked.
After 911 they realised that they could only carry out detailed checks on a small % of the freight that was carried daily & came up with the scheme that they have now. Which is obviously not good as shown by last years uncovering of bombs in checked & cleared freight at two UK airports whilst on route to the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11664850
This is just one of many articles you can find some far more scathing about the current system.
It's still the same system now. Not much has changed. Let's hope that UPS , a major sponsor of the London olympics , has regained it's 'known consigner status ' after being stripped of it in the UK after last years bomb finds.
Todos somos Lorca.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am

I agree with the posters that say the airlines have created these problems.

Air travel has become relatively cheap so we can partake of it regularly. Sadly the conditions haven't improved. Long waits , check in hours before flying, overpriced food, uncomfortable noisy lounges, cramped seats on the planes, no locker space, turning off some of the air packs to save money and make you go to sleep more easily, and the one that gets me the most.....

The incredible distances you have to cover to get anywhere in the terminals. Take Malaga. I am sure the architect patted himself on the back. You check in, then walk miles to the new part of the terminal to go through security, then miles back to (amazingly) just behind the desks you checked in at. Then more miles to the departure lounge. Arriving - that stupid uncomfortable area where you wait for people. it is miles to walk to the car park. The last people considered by the architect are the users!

What this thread also shows quite well is just how intolerant we are of each other. The screaming kids, hair pulling, endless kneeing in the back, reclining seat so that it touches the nose of the person behind, able boidied dwarfs running to get the best seats leaving us tall folk to furl ourselves into the remaining cattle class seats, disdain for passengers who genuinely need assistance. The great public.

I am so thankful that I don't fly much. Just collecting folk from Malaga is enough for me. Bring back Granada airport.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes, the getting there is great but the travelling is a pain. That's why we will stay longer and travel less when I retire at the end of the year. Who knows maybe even stay permanently! :D
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Two experiences......
1 On a flight to Dublin from Malaga another passenger asked me to lift her bag into the locker as "it was to heavy for her" :crazy: . I declined her request after trying the case and realising that it was possibly twice the allowed weight. I was congratulated by other passengers for standing up to her.

2 On a flight to Malaga I was in row three (paid €12 each way on top of flight for the privelage) while boarding a guy in front of me opens the locker over my seat & outs his bag in, then proceeds down to his seat 27c :roll: . I then arrive and lift out his bag and place it in the aisle. When confronted by cabin crew I pointed out that their marketing people were selling the seats at €12 each way and telling me that it allowed me to exit first on landing. So if my luggage was further down the plane I paid for no advantage. 27c's bag was then tagged and placed in the hold :lol: :lol: so he had to wait on arrival.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:50 am

How did you know he was in seat 27c ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am

This should be of interest to some members who have posted in this thread:

Ryanair Cabin Baggage

:thumbup:
Let's go Brandon!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 am

It's a typical Daily Mail article. Never make the headline fit the story.

The bonuses paid for catching oversized hand baggage is being implemented by Servisair, NOT Ryanair. Servisair won't say one way or the other if other airlines are involved.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if the airlines were involved as they are the ones charging for the oversize bags, so are presumably, subsidising the bonus payments. Or is Servisairs contract due for renewal shortly? Who knows, certainly not the DM.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:54 am

There were a couple of good comments about passengers having to be weighed along with their luggage and having an overall weight allowance.
Let's go Brandon!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Then if passengers exceed the weight allowance, put them in the hold with the baggage, rather than in the seat next to me :mrgreen: Seat allocation overspill should not be allowed :evil:

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:How did you know he was in seat 27c ?
Come on scotty - how did you know?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 am

It is hardly rocket science to simply count the rows back from where you are (e.g. 3) to where the miscreant sits down, and the letters are always in the same pattern each row, thus giving the seat letter and number - Doh!! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:54 am

peteroldracer wrote:It is hardly rocket science to simply count the rows back from where you are (e.g. 3) to where the miscreant sits down, and the letters are always in the same pattern each row, thus giving the seat letter and number - Doh!!

It must be my fault! I didn't realize you were there on the same day and same flight as scotty!

My mistake - Doh!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:13 am

peteroldracer wrote:It is hardly rocket science to simply count the rows back from where you are (e.g. 3) to where the miscreant sits down, and the letters are always in the same pattern each row, thus giving the seat letter and number - Doh!! :roll:
That's if you can see that far! :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:27 am

alexander1 wrote: That's if you can see that far! :)
It was "scotty" - not Mr McGoo!! Anyone that cannot see 20 rows in an aircraft should not be allowed to drive - and maybe not allowed out without assistance! :P
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 am

peteroldracer wrote:
alexander1 wrote: That's if you can see that far! :)
It was "scotty" - not Mr McGoo!! Anyone that cannot see 20 rows in an aircraft should not be allowed to drive - and maybe not allowed out without assistance! :P
Well, I will admit to wearing varifocals! :oops: :lol:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:57 am

Interesting that Michael O'Leary, having been to visit Southwest airlines in USA for a while, based Ryanair on their model. Southwest allow 23kgs hold baggage (can be two bags combined) at no charge. One pice of hand baggage allowed, plus small personal item i.e. handbag etc and food in disposable container. Do they have the same problems with the overhead lockers filling up?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 am

Apologies for resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one, but I thought it relevant..

we're flying out with Monarch in a week's time, and have just received this email:

Please note our hand baggage policy:

Hand baggage is strictly limited to one piece per person; this includes handbags, and laptops which must fit comfortably within your one bag
Hand baggage dimensions must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm including handles and wheels and must not weigh more than 10kg
If your hand baggage does not comply with the restrictions, you will be charged £50/€60(inbound) at the gate and your baggage will be placed in the hold.

:shock: :shock:

p.s. the bold bit is theirs !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 am

............. but it it legal????? Surely not?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 am

It's in the T&C's so yes, it is legal. Noticeable that more and more airlines are accepting that the way Ryanair charges are the way to stay afloat, let alone profitable. No doubt, though, people will continue to knock Ryanair.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm

My cabin baggage conforms exactly with Ryanair conditions, but on a recent flight I was near the end of the queue getting on so there was no space in the overhead lockers available. The case fitted very snuggly under the seat in front and still left a bit of room for my feet.

Incidentally on a flight to Liverpool last week, I witnessed two passengers being removed from the aircraft after sitting in reserved seats which they had not paid for and refused to move when politely asked. The Captain eventually came back and issued them with an ultimatum that they leave or be removed. They opted for the latter!