Malaga to Seville

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Malaga to Seville

Postby rt21 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of travelling by train from Malaga to Seville in September and would welcome some advice on the regularity of the service and some top tips in booking tickets.

Looking at the RENFE website no services are shown for that month, but during February the service seems to be fairly regular every day and throughout the day. Am I right in thinking that this level of service is normal throughout the year ?

Does anyone know the cost of a return ticket ?

And lastly is it best to book in advance or just turn up at the station and pay ?

Richard

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga to Seville

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Its a regular service. Make sure you book well in advance for a cheap ticket. You pay a lot more on the day.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 am

Never quite sure about the booking system in Spain.

When I buy tickets for my wife and I, it always appears that the seats are specific, that is reserved. However when you find those seats, more often than not there is someone already sitting on them. Are all seats "reserved" and that being the case, do most people ignore this and sit where they want to ?

anyroads

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:11 am

Last time I did the route, about 2 years ago, I bought my outward ticket on the day from the desk in Sevilla, the MD 2 and half hour one at 18 euro ish, the return from Malaga at the machine on the day same price 18 euro ish. If you take the faster Avant it is double the price. There is no timetable for the route after June, it then says no direct route.

I have not had a problem with people in the allocated seat I would just ask them to move, the same as in UK where I travelled a lot by train and folk just sat where they wanted til someone queried it, a right pain in the proverbial ! I am ok jack sod you. I always had reserved seats while travelling with work in the UK and the amount times some idiot ignored the ticket on the back of the seat and sat in a booked seat was unbelievable. The indignant look you got when asked to move is incredible.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm

About booking up well in advance. In my experience the Media Distancia train (MD) is fine and just takes longer than the faster service that whizzes up on the fast line to Cordoba and then turns for Seville. The MD train is best value and the advance fare is not possible or at least not until this date. The fast line has the AVANT trains and sometimes you can book a cheaper ticket on line by using www.renfe.com but not until 62 days before day of travel.
One other point. The MD train runs through Dos Hermanas before getting to Seville and the next stop after Dos Hermanas is San Bernardo station which is a few minutes before Santa Justa which is the main station and where the fast trains terminate. If you get off the MD train at San Bernardo you can then walk over to take the tram (the only tram in Seville) to the very centre of Seville at Plaza Nueva. At San Bernardo station you can also link with the Metro or bus. I always use San Bernardo on this route and sometimes walk into the old city which takes about 25 minutes max. Or you can walk first to the Plaza de Espana which is not so far,

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

many thanks for your replies.

I think I might go for the media distancia train and book a ticket from Malaga to Seville on the day I travel.

Am I right in thinking that there is a bus service from Malaga Airport to Malaga Train Station ?

Also is it relatively easy to book the tickets using the machine ? I speak a little Spanish but not much

Richard

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, there is a train service from Malaga airport into the city centre station (called Malaga Maria Zambrano) where you would connect with the rail service to Seville. The trains run every 20 minutes and the ticket machines are easy to use - there is an option to select English if required. The journey takes only about 10 minutes and last time I used it (in December) the one way off peak fare was €1.45.

I haven't used a ticket machine to buy a ticket from Malaga to Seville, although they do have them. If you buy a ticket from the booking office you need to get a numbered ticket from the machine and wait for the number to be displayed to tell you which desk to go to.

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Free at Last

Thanks for your speedy reply. It was really helpful

Richard

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm

ValL wrote:There is no timetable for the route after June, it then says no direct route.
Having read your post again I am now wondering whether they will be withdrawing the media distancia train route from Malaga to Sevilla after June ?

Does anyone have any further information on this

Many thanks

Richard

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 am

I doubt it but whatever happens there will always be a direct train service between Málaga and the Andalucian capital of Sevilla. Perhaps the reason for no timetable beyond early June is that there may be planned timetable changes - only a guess!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 am

I think that the time table man at RENFE does not get round to loading the summer schedule after April ? until nearer the month. At least that has happened before. So just wait until nearer the time. Doubt if times alter much.

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Many thanks for your replies.

Richard