Car Hire 3 year old Post

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Marj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car Hire 3 year old Post

Postby Marj » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 am

I was very surprised to see this this morning but then noticed that I had posted this in 2009. Since then I have found that www.malagacarhire.com (not to be confused with the other Malaga Car Hire), use Niza who operated a full/full policy. I have been using them now for the last 2 years. They have recently added 4 euros per day for windscreens etc., They recommend you pay on arrival in Sterling to get the best possible exchange rate. They pick you up outside the airport (thus avoiding all the queues) and bus you just across to the island where there garage is. I have been quite satisfied with them.
Marj

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Hire 3 year old Post

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 am

see other thread
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am

Marj wrote: They have recently added 4 euros per day for windscreens etc., They recommend you pay on arrival in Sterling to get the best possible exchange rate. They pick you up outside the airport (thus avoiding all the queues) and bus you just across to the island where there garage is. I have been quite satisfied with them.
As I've said before, using someone like Insurance4carhire is a far better deal than using the car companies excess insurance. If you rented only for a fortnight, at your charges you'd pay €56 extra, with this insurance company (which covers far more than just windscreens) you pay an annual charge of £49, and you can use that as many times a year as you like. Nothing to do with the company (there are others similar) but as someone who has holidayed in Spain several times a year, I've saved lots of money by not paying the car companies excess insurance. Like the fuel policy of so many, it's a rip off.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Dumb question I know but do they also cover when hiring a car in the UK? Yes I know UK is in Europe (or so I'm led to believe) but just wanted to check as I've hired a car in the UK at the end of the month and judging by Hertz charges I think I'd save money immediately by buying this insurance.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:01 pm

According to their T&C's,
What is the definition of Europe?
Europe is defined as: UK, Ireland, Iceland, Europe (all countries west of the Ural mountains - the Urals extend from the northern border of Kazakhstan to the coast of the Artic ocean - including Cyprus - North and South, Croatia, Czech, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Turkey), Islands of the Mediterranean, Morocco, Tunisia, Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores.
If in doubt, drop them a line or call them, they are very helpful.
Phone: 0844 892 1770
International: +44 (0)1242 538475
Fax: 0844 980 6802
[email protected]
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Frank :)
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppylou » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 pm

When I used this, or a similar company's, annual policy a year ago, it excluded car hire within a certain distance of your home UK address, if you have one. So if you are returning to the UK, hiring a car, and still use a UK address, it is worth reading the small print in case this still applies!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm

poppylou wrote:When I used this, or a similar company's, annual policy a year ago, it excluded car hire within a certain distance of your home UK address, if you have one. So if you are returning to the UK, hiring a car, and still use a UK address, it is worth reading the small print in case this still applies!
It still applies and from memory this is 150km

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I took out an annual policy with a similar company last year. Think it was about £45.

Used it on trips to OZ and USA. In both cases the people at check in for the car hire completely changed their friendly attitude to me when I said I wouldn't need to take out their expensive alternative.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:20 pm

morlandg wrote:
poppylou wrote:When I used this, or a similar company's, annual policy a year ago, it excluded car hire within a certain distance of your home UK address, if you have one. So if you are returning to the UK, hiring a car, and still use a UK address, it is worth reading the small print in case this still applies!
It still applies and from memory this is 150km
No good for me then - I'll be using the car to get from the airport to my UK address, whilst I am there and then back to the airport. I thought there would be a catch! Thanks for pointing this out.