forbidden food in hand luggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

forbidden food in hand luggage

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Rellie wants to take back to UK a couple of packets of pipas and some saffron in her hand luggage, does anyone know if there any restrictions on this type of stuff?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

annfoto
Resident

Re: forbidden food in hand luggage

Postby annfoto » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:42 pm

As far as I am aware there is no restriction on either, why should there be?.
Neither are liquid and as long as they are suitably packaged identifying what they are then I see no problem.
Ann

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 am

Shouldn't be a problem. The published list of banned items in hand baggage isn't definitive and security do have discretion to not allow other items. For example, a container of face powder normally carried in a handbag would be OK whereas a couple of kilos of ant powder wouldn't be allowed. However, the quantities of saffron you are likely to take will be OK.

The other area where some items come under scrutiny is the import of foodstuffs. Within the EU most foodstuffs can be taken as long as they are grown within the EU. Foodstuffs brought in from outside the EU are more restricted. However, although the saffron and pipas may have been grown outwith the EU, as they were bought in the EU they would already have been passed for import so, again, not a problem. Not that they are likely to check anyway. There seem to be far fewer, if any, checks at most points of entry into UK compared to the likes of Australia and NZ where they take food items much more seriously.

Bottom line, no problem with your relatives pipas and saffron.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 am

Campo Steve wrote: Bottom line, no problem with your relatives pipas and saffron.
If customs get a bit arsy, tell them they're wrong, andalucia.com said it was OK! :lolno:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 am

This is what DEFRA in the UK say:

http://tinyurl.com/chpsqke

It seems, if I've read it correctly, that there are no problems for imports within the EU.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 pm

I have taken both these items back to the UK on more than one occasion with no problems :thumbup:
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm

masterob wrote:

It seems, if I've read it correctly, that there are no problems for imports within the EU.
Absolutely right.

Free movement of Cornish Pasties within the EU so long as they are cooling down. :lol: :lol:

Sid

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 am

My stepson once took a whole jamon back to Britain in a rucksack, its foot/trotter was sticking out of the top :shock:

WomBatt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby WomBatt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 am

You may take any foodstuff which can be legally purchased within the EU across any border within the EU.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

I thought there was a ban on things like potatoes and hams? There was (a couple of years ago) a sign up as you picked up the luggage saying they were banned ( I was taking MiL some potatoes from our garden :shifty: I wasn´t planning to plant them, just eat them, so I ignored the sign :shh: )
Since then I have travelled with hand luggage only, so don´t know if the sign is still there.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:28 pm

If you read the link I gave above you will see that there isn't for goods purchased within the EU.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Not strictly true masterob, but you have to delve a bit deeper. For example, although Cyprus is in the EU there are quite heavy restrictions from some parts of it. Other parts of the EU have certain restrictions e.g. caviar is OK, but not from endangered species of sturgeon.

As for potatoes, if they are for eating they are OK but seed potatoes are not allowed. Pre-packed seeds are OK, but maximum 5 packets.

There is a lot more to it than stated on your link.

Max weight of food stuffs allowed is 2kg total but that would be a lot of saffron!

mdavid
Tourist

Postby mdavid » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 am

No restrictions on carrying either, though there is a limit to the amount you can carry , that you must confirm from the airport authorities. i guess about 100grams of saffron is allowed at one time. . . . it may differ though:)
[url=http://www.bostonmanorhotel.com/]Hotels Chiswick[/url] | [url=http://www.airportdirect.com/heathrow_airport_transfer]heathrow taxis[/url]

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 am

I noticed from the website mentioned in mastermob post that all meats are totally banned, can someone confirm if this is the case as i carry meat produce in both directions all of the time.

Thanks

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 am

That ban is for meat products being brought in from outside the EU. No problem if within the EU. Of course, temporary bans could be brought in should there be an outbreak of, say, foot and mouth in Spain but as far as I am aware there are no such bans at the moment.

This leaflet, assuming the link works, makes it much clearer:

http://tinyurl.com/6r3ljot

gerryw80
Tourist

Postby gerryw80 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Saffron is permitted. no restriction on that except for the limited amount that they allow which you will have to confirm from the authorities. What is Pipas?
[url=http://www.airportdirect.com/]london taxis[/url] | [url=http://www.airportdirect.com/heathrow_airport_transfer]heathrow taxis[/url]

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Pipas. Sunflower seeds that the Spanish seem to love.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Campo Steve wrote:

Max weight of food stuffs allowed is 2kg total but that would be a lot of saffron!
Maximum weight !!! My nephew & his wife have just gone back with a leg of serrano, 5 Litres of our olive oil, olives, chillies, etc. :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:15 pm

gus did they fly and if so was the olive oil in there case in the hold or in hand lugage.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

swerve wrote:gus did they fly and if so was the olive oil in there case in the hold or in hand lugage.
They flew easyjet & It was in the hold. Our daughters always take at least 2L back depending on how much other tat they've got.
Todos somos Lorca.