new run way malaga opens tomorrow

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
anis
Resident

new run way malaga opens tomorrow

Postby anis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Have just read on typically spanish that the new runway will open tomorrow Tuesday - will someone be kind enough to post a link - am not sure how to do it, now things have changed.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 5099.shtml (Done - Sid)

Colinm
Resident

Re: new run way malaga opens tomorrow

Postby Colinm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:58 pm

It must be the official opening, because we landed on it last month. Also used it for take off.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Blooming things have been coming in over our heads every morning for the last six weeks...I think they are doing familiarisation trials for the controllers. Nightmare; our tranquil retirement home( and investment) ruined ...fait acompli!
C'est la vie!

still happy tho :thumbup:

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm

You may have noticed from the aerial photograph that the runways are not parallel; I think they are at 14 degrees to each other. I will be interested in Campo Steve's comments about them being used together.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you Sid - poor CB, perhaps things will calm down overheard for you soon when it goes official.
I wonder if it will make much difference to every day things going on there ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm

country boy wrote:Blooming things have been coming in over our heads every morning for the last six weeks...I think they are doing familiarisation trials for the controllers. Nightmare; our tranquil retirement home( and investment) ruined ...fait acompli!
C'est la vie!

still happy tho :thumbup:
A wild guess here but if you have two runways pointing in more or less the same direction then to avoid the incoming planes being too close together on approach maybe they come in on slightly different approaches which is why some are now coming over you.

I'm sure we have an ex traffic controller on this site so maybe he can help.

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm sure you're right Sid. When the wind is from the East they land over our heads when they are using the new runway, I mean literally over our heads, when they are using the old runway they are well to the north of us and barely noticable. We are 700 feet above sea level so we can count the rivets!!! :lol:

Air Berlin are nice...they have the name on the belly so we know who they are!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

That's to hide the bomb bay.

Mhic.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 am

Is it really bad, as we are signing for a house in La Serena near Pizzara next week.....!!!!!

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 am

aquaman wrote:Is it really bad, as we are signing for a house in La Serena near Pizzara next week.....!!!!!
We are on the crest of a hill between Pizarra and Alora and so now get them coming in on both sides of us. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all and I quite enjoy the view of them. It might be that we are a little further upstream of them compared to CB and so they may not be quite as close.

Generally the wind direction changes means that approximately 50% of the time they are landing and taking off over the sea rather than over us. We have never noticed it a problem too early or too late at night.

Probe

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks, is there any noise ??

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am

We don't get any problems with take-off's as they are well up and away before they get near us. This new landing regime IS noisy however; there is no getting away from that! Some planes make more noise than others, it's not deafening but it does destroy the ambience, our little dog hates it...bless!
It doesn't bother us too much at the moment as we find it interesting and it doesn't go on all the time, or at all when they are either landing from the other end or using the old runway but it will definitely make the property harder to sell should we ever need to.
After a lifetime in engineering I'm used to noise, I expect God will have me on maintenance duty should I ever get to heaven :angel:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am

An opinion only !
Malaga is not really busy enough for simultaneous operation in the manner of Heathrow, Dallas or Chicago to name but three, rather I would expect operation similar to Manchester where they use both runways at peak times, one for arrivals and one for departures. During quieter periods of operation they revert to single, usually the original, runway operation.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:43 am

It does seem a bit strange not having them parallel. Hiwever, from an ATC point of view it wouldn't make too much difference.

Take Heathrow as an example. Their runways are parallel but they tend to use one for landings and one for departures, although that may change. Even if the runways were exactly parallel you still wouldn't have two landing aircraft alongside each other, they would need to be staggered to provide separation between them. You also wouldn't have two departures at the same time as enroute separation would still be required. However, runway utilisation would be improved as a departure could be lined up on one runway whilst one was landing on the other etc.

Heathrow ATC are masters at it, it remains to see how Malaga get on, although they will never get to the rate Heathrow manage. They don't get anywhere near what Gatwick manage on their one runway.

To my mind, they would have been better improving procedures for one runway rather than going to the expense of building the second.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 am

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 am

Says there will be between 37 to 65 take-off and landings per hour at Málaga during peak periods.

http://www.diariosur.es/v/20120626/mala ... 20626.html

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am

When I had a 3 month rental between Pizarra and Alora the aircraft on their way into Malaga were frequent but not noisy enough to make it a concern. However, when I was taken up in the hills to the east of Alora/Pizarra to view a property, whilst I was checking out the pool they were going over and I swear I could see the whites of the pilot's eyes! Whether that bothers you is a personal thing though - it wasn't what I would personally want as my house in the UK is isolated and so peaceful and I certainly wouldn't swap that for something less so.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 am

country boy wrote:
Blooming things have been coming in over our heads every morning for the last six weeks...I think they are doing familiarisation trials for the controllers. Nightmare; our tranquil retirement home( and investment) ruined ...fait acompli!
C'est la vie!
Oops, one mans misery is anothers pleasure because we are now spared them flying directly over us here in Álora! The only consolation I can give you is, that over time (eight years), you get used to them, although, that said, I did live in London before moving here!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am

I think they are a tad lower by the time they get to us Robbi, some of the more nervous types even have their wheels down!!
What I can say categorically is that the dirtiest "under wings" planes are Iberia, I don't think they ever wash them :shh: ( I 'spose it could just be that their engines aren't very well tuned, either way, as my mother would have said...it leaves a lot to be desired!).
:D