new run way malaga opens tomorrow

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: new run way malaga opens tomorrow

Postby sujee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 am

When we were house hunting, this time last year, we discounted Alora and Pizarra as we could hear and see the planes every 10 minutes. We actually timed them. I hate to think of even more now that new runway is operational.

My daughter arrives on Sunday (jet2 from LBH) so I'll ask her to give you a wave CB :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:03 am

sujee wrote:(jet2 from LBH) :)
Just had to look this up - "Sydney, Palm Beach SPB (LBH) information". Seems like Jet2 have gone long-haul... :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am

...... I wondered how it would change things here in an earlier post.

Now that Malaga is presumably equipped to take airbuses and bigger planes, I presume that we will be seeing different destinations, more long haul from here ? Or have I misunderstood.....

No more flying back up to Malaga to get to the USA ? Or doesn't it work that way ? Not financially viable I don't suppose or is it all part of the grand plan, hidden infrastructure, "build a secret disney location" on the costa del sol with major roads going to nowhere and double the size ports and airports conspiracy theory ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 am

anis wrote:...... I wondered how it would change things here in an earlier post.

Now that Malaga is presumably equipped to take airbuses and bigger planes, I presume that we will be seeing different destinations, more long haul from here ? Or have I misunderstood.....
I assume you are referring to the Airbus A380. The new runway is actually shorter than the old one so makes no difference. However, the old runway is long enough to take an A380 or a B747. The drawback would be the ground facilities. None of the air bridges are suitable for aither aircraft so they would have to be parked either on the cargo apron or the new apron. Then all the passengers would need to be bussed to the aircraft. That's a lot of buses and I don't see any airline going for that on a regular basis. I wouldn't hold my breath for much in the way of longhaul flights because of the new runway.
Last edited by Campo Steve on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

US airways used to do a 3 times a week service from Málaga to New York. Lasted about 2 years and was expensive, cheaper to fly via London.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

Oh dear ...thanks for your help, Katy and Steve .....does rather look as though I have missed the point... quite what was the point of all the expense and the years of mess and turmoil then or am I being REALLY thicker usual ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 am

I can sum it all up Anis in three words: "Puffed Out Chests". My airport's bigger than yours syndrome, there's a lot of it about in Spain if you look at all the empty / under-used infrastructure and public buildings, and, and, they didn't allow for the upkeep/ maintenance expenses, so I think you will see quite a lot of gradual decay and degradation in some of these grand structures and autoroutes in future years.

For example: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 5100.shtml

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

I can sum it all up Anis in three words: "Puffed Out Chests". My airport's bigger than yours syndrome
Very true :thumbup:
You forgot about this other reason "Lining the pockets of some in the construction industry" :think:
Ann

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:32 am

:thumbup:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:24 pm

country boy wrote:I can sum it all up Anis in three words: "Puffed Out Chests". My airport's bigger than yours syndrome, there's a lot of it about in Spain if you look at all the empty / under-used infrastructure and public buildings, and, and, they didn't allow for the upkeep/ maintenance expenses, so I think you will see quite a lot of gradual decay and degradation in some of these grand structures and autoroutes in future years.
For example: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 5100.shtml
Spot on, vanity projects abound in Spain, especially in airports, trains, roads etc, they don't make money to pay for upkeep, much less make a profit. Some are already closed, more will close without doubt given the economic situation. One of the problems is the contractors were given guaranteed figures, numbers of passengers, cars etc, and it just hasn't happened, so ayuntamientos are having to pay huge penalty amounts of money.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 am

Thank you for spotting the typo Peter. It should have been LBA of course. :oops:

At lunch yesterday I mentioned the lower aircraft and was told it is not directly related to the new runway but to the improved radar systems allowing planes to coast in at lower altitudes thus saving around €300 on fuel costs per flight. Of course the improved radar was installed because of the extra runway so there is an indirect link.

I was told to check out the Malaga airport forum but as it doesn't affect me i probably won't, however those who are affected may want to take a look.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 am

Flippin' eck this one bypassed me :roll: ......I honestly thought all the changes and work over the last few years were purely for a new terminal, had no idea until this thread there was a new runway too, have to say it does look stunning.
We haven't been out for a while but are over there next week, I wonder how I missed seeing the runway works on previous flights :?

So a few questions if poss.

1) Is the airport completely finished now?

2)What are the odds of a Monarch flight landing on the new strip?....what determines what lands where?

3) If you land on the new strip does the plane still taxi to main buildings or is there a shuttle instead?

4) What is the road connecting the 2 runways?

Thanks
Cracking pic here

http://www.airmalaga.com/blog/wp-conten ... runway.jpg
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am

Hi,
Anyone know the progress of the Western Airport link road from the A7 :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Flippin' eck this one bypassed me :roll: ......I honestly thought all the changes and work over the last few years were purely for a new terminal, had no idea until this thread there was a new runway too, have to say it does look stunning.
We haven't been out for a while but are over there next week, I wonder how I missed seeing the runway works on previous flights :?

So a few questions if poss.

1) Is the airport completely finished now?

2)What are the odds of a Monarch flight landing on the new strip?....what determines what lands where?

3) If you land on the new strip does the plane still taxi to main buildings or is there a shuttle instead?

4) What is the road connecting the 2 runways?

Thanks
Cracking pic here

1. Just the access road to be sorted, as far as I know.

2. Until it gets busier the only time the new runway will be used is when/if they get a rush of traffic so will use it to speed things up. Otherwise they will stick mainly to the old runway.

3. There is an apron by the new runway but in the meantime planes will still taxi to the terminal. I think the new apron will only be used if the stand are full at the terminal. Mind you, wouldn't put it past Ryanair to try to negotiate a discount if they use the new apron.

4. The new road connecting the runways is the taxiway for aircraft to get from the new runway to the terminal.

Enjoy your trip over.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Many thanks Steve for the reply.........especially point 4. I'd been scratching my head if that was a road for service vehicles or possibly the Aircraft themselves.......impressive.

Thanks for the good wishes too :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 am

The taxi to/from the stand to the new runway is considerably longer than for the old runway. I can imagine Ryanair complaining that it is impacting their turnaround performance.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

Increased operating costs for the Airport too, all that extra mileage on the " Follow-Me" cars :shh:

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Cracking pic here

The photographer must have had his camera on a tall tripod! :shock: