morocco again

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
carrowcrin
Resident

morocco again

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 pm

I am planning a few nights and i just noticed that the ferry goes to three different locations.
Can anyone advise as to where is best to go to for 2 or 3 nights, i will probably travel alone and will stay in reasonable priced hotels.

Many thanks

detourer
Resident

Re: morocco again

Postby detourer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:11 pm

A lot depends on when and how you are planning to travel.........

When?......Not now!!! Even us “Pros” stop for the summer months. Very, very hot at the moment, yesterday it was 47deg in Marrakech and wind blowing north. Probably why it is so hot here at the moment!

Also loads of Moroccans going home for their hols for the next two months so ferry tickets tend to increase in cost and delays/waiting to board is not unusual.

How?.... If on foot Tangier is better....off the boat and directly into the mayhem. Tangier-Med is miles away from anywhere being between Ceuta and Tangier. Ceuta has a border crossing that can [and will be] stressful and only good if you are going to the Tetuane’ish area by taxi.

If by car then Tangier-Med is probably better. Most documentation is done on board boat and the rest at disembarkation and not at a border. Leave port and turn RIGHT, take first toll exit and make for Chefchaouen [Blue Town] only around 70K and not a bad location for two nights with a few good hotels and one campsite. OR carry on Mway and turn off at Asilah, not a bad little seaside town with pleasant Medina........Avoid Moulay Bousselham, a nice little fishing village which is a little further down the cost.......but with Mozzies the size of Sparrows!

Ray

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for reply as this is this is the exact information i am looking for before i decide what to do.
I am not going to Spain until mid Sept and i will do a few days in Tangiers at the beginning of my trip and maybe do a car trip later if all goes well. I did want to hire a car in Spain and bring over but they would not allow and i do not want the cost or hassle of two car hire on one trip.
When i asked the car hire guy why he would not let me take the car across he said,
"because it probably would not come back"

Thanks again

gates8888
Tourist

Postby gates8888 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I recommend you a few places i have known in Morroco. the top most that i enjoyed was Essaouira and its one of the best choices considering you are travelling alone. Then there is Chefchaouen where you can do hiking and swimming. And a completely contrasting places is Merzouga, this is a desert town and you can easily find reasonably priced acommodation here:)
[url=http://www.dare2ski.com/ski-in-austria.php]ski austria[/url] | [url=http://www.airportdirect.com/heathrow_airport_transfer]heathrow taxis[/url]

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 pm

As i said earlier i probably will not get a car for this trip.
I had kinda decided i was going to book a two night trip to Tangiers and have got a quote for same and am pretty well ready to book unless some of the nice people on this forum give me a better idea.
I would be interested in doing a trip to Chefchaouen if i could get a package or if i could get transport at fairly reasonable rates, the reason i prefer the package is it saves all the haggleing i believe you need to be good at.
Thanks for advise on other destinations and i will keep in mind for future but too far down for what will be a short stay this time.

Any advise appreciated

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 pm

If you go to Tangier you will probably never return to Morocco again.

For just a short stay I think Chefchaouen, loads of reasonable hotels etc etc.....

And if you are unlucky you will bump into me.......

Ray
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Ray,
i am trying to link this to a trip i have already booked flying to Malaga which makes my options limited, my problem is how i will get from ferry to Chefchaouen which is the reason i would prefer to book an all in package as transport and accomodation included.
By the way do you know any links for public transport so i could try to tie it all together myself.

Many thanks

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi carrowcrin

PM me some time and I will either email or phone you....If I say too much on here it will be seen as a self/business promo....... :silent:

To start...you you can ferry cross to Ceuta, take taxi 3k to border, cross border, immediately after border are hundreds of taxi's, do deal with one for a direct drive to Cheff. You should get that for around 50e or less, or go to nearby bus terminal and for small-change take a bus.

If you are going early Sept we can give you a lift!

Ray

gerryw80
Tourist

Postby gerryw80 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 am

Well it majorly depends whether you like shopping, resturants, Anciet places, beaches. . . . Few of the popular most tourist destinations in Morroco i can recommend:
AIT BENHADDOU, OUARZAZATE- This is where Lawrence of Arabia was filmed
Marrakech, the Paris of Morocco where you will get the nightlife fun
For beaches you may go to Agadir which is also popular for fishing and then there is Essaouira:)
[url=http://www.airportdirect.com/]london taxis[/url] | [url=http://www.airportdirect.com/heathrow_airport_transfer]heathrow taxis[/url]

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 am

How do I get the train down through morocco to Marrakech? Any idea of the cost, timetable, stops etc?

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks for your kind offer of a lift but the reason i travel alone is for the independence it gives me, i have now pretty well decided that i will go to Tangiers for a couple of nights on a package and will at a later time hire a car and do a few other places.
I took a train journey from Fez to Marrakesh a few years ago, it took a whole day and was hard work, i would not recommend it.
Ryanair fly from Seville to Marrakesh and the fares are very cheap, i would suggest this is probably the easiest and cheapest.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 am

The mentioned Essaouira, Merzouga, Ait Benhaddou, Ouarzazate, Agadir are all OK in their own way...but are all impossible for a two/three night visit to Morocco........

There are some great sites and locations in Tangiers but careful research is needed and you need to break from the tour itinerary, if there is one. Like I said, a Tangier visit will probably be your one and only ever visit to Morocco.

Except for the Ryanair experience flight to Marrakesh would be my choice is time aloud .......short flight but loads of messing about both ends [practically Marra] that will take hours and hours....... Chefchaounen [easy taxi/bus from Tangier] and you will return to Morocco some time.

Ray

mdavid
Tourist

Postby mdavid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 am

With such a short time period, how are you planning to commute? will you take up a rental car or travel by public transport?
[url=http://www.bostonmanorhotel.com/]Hotels Chiswick[/url] | [url=http://www.airportdirect.com/heathrow_airport_transfer]heathrow taxis[/url]

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am

i don't mean to be sarcastic but the purpose of the post was to find out different options and as i do not know public transport i will probably just "wing it" but i have done that before several times.

alexpete80
Tourist

Postby alexpete80 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 am

When you travel to Morocco the best places to visit include the imperial cities of Marrakech, Fes and Meknes. This is where you find the old towns with their wonderful bazaars, palaces and bustling town squares. You can found reasonable prices for accommodation and travel. I have been there last year and it was a 5 day trip and had a great time with my family.

alexpete80
Tourist

Postby alexpete80 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 am

When you travel to Morocco the best places to visit include the imperial cities of Marrakech, Fes and Meknes. This is where you find the old towns with their wonderful bazaars, palaces and bustling town squares. You can found reasonable prices for accommodation and travel. I have been there last year and it was a 5 day trip and had a great time with my family.