Visiting CDS from Algave

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Visiting CDS from Algave

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:01 am

In the autumn we are having a short hol in Albuferia. We chose the accomodation because of a recomendation from an a.com member. Assuming we like it, we will return for a longer time and have a car. We can then visit Big John in Estepona. Via Michelin says it would take about 5 hrs, virtualy all on motorway. Cost about 70Eu petrol and tolls. Anyone done this trip?
Alternatively, we could take longer and have an overnight. Any suggestions where? We spent a few days in Sanlucar which we liked, but like to go to different places, so rule that out.

Thanks

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: Visiting CDS from Algave

Postby karandjon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:32 pm

where are you staying in Albufeira Rick? Living less than an hour from the border we holiday frequently there, around 8 times a year! Absolutely love it there!

it takes us 2 hours to albufeira from here, and we're 3 hours from CDS so 5 hrs is about right.

we've been told the toll motorway in portugal still doesnt recognise foreign cars, so we use the toll road then go to a post office over there within 3 working days to ask to pay the toll...to be told they still havent been able to do it, so carry on using it freely.

have u hought of staying in El Rocio? its 3/3.5hrs from CDS. Google it. Theres a campsite there with wooden bungalows etc or a few hotels.

Have a great trip. And may see you there!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks Karanjohn.

I've always fancied El Rocio but in 20 years of holiday home ownership in which we covered most of Andalucia, we never got there.

We are staying at The Al Fagar 1 complex just to the east of the strip.

I checked it out on Trip advisor and instead of the usual vast range of opinions, I had to go back nearly 2 years till I found a very bad review... so it must be ok. My neighbour just went and stayed in the old town and said it was lovely.

We are s/c. We can get breakfast and other meals there, but if you know of any good places to eat could you let me know.

Thanks

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

We're back from the hol now.

We thought it was great

I've done a trip report on the Trip Advisor forum for Albufeira, if anyone's interested. Posted it yesterday. Called "our week in Albufeira" strangely enough.