currency

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
carrowcrin
Resident

currency

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:29 am

What is the best advise as obtaining currency for a trip to Morocco, i will be arriving to Malaga airport and travelling to Tangiers on the same day so i will not have much time.
Any advise greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: currency

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:40 am

Hi, we've only ever been on the weekend trips but have always used Euros........may be different if you're going for a longer stay, however they were accepted everywhere, even welcomed everywhere.

Just once we'd booked a trip to a local market and decided we needed some dhirams (or whatever they are :D ) and got them at the hotel reception at a fair rate.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 am

OH, just reminded me.....at Asilah market we got a better deal on the stuff we were buying when the guy realised I had £ sterling on me :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 am

Euros are widely accepted. The current exchange rate is approximately 11 dirhams to the euro. In shops, bars, markets etc last month they seemed to use a rate of about 10 to the euro (although it was Ramadan when we were there and most bars were closed). Change is often given in dirhams at the same rate.

If you want dirhams there are ATM's there. Don't withdraw too much as I don't think you are supposed to take any out of the country. You could maybe check with your bank to see what rate they would give at the ATM and add on their charges and compare that to using Euros.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

WomBatt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby WomBatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:23 am

You cannot convert before you go and you ought not to export, as it is illegal, but barely reinforced (i.e. do not upset officialdom upon exit).

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm

What did you do last month Carrowcrin when you were there?

Am in Morocco at moment and exchange rate is 10.82. Exchange at port or just about anywhere else. ATM's all over the place as are banks.

We go in and out every month with many 1000's of Dhm's and have never been stopped or questioned.

PS........VERY HOT at the moment........35plus when we were in the north but now well over 40 in the south [Er Rachidia]. I hear Marrakech [will be there next week] is roasting :roll:
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for replies, the last time i was over i just bought currency in hotels, i was not aware that it was not possible to buy "the dirham" in Europe but i suppose it is logical enough considering it is a different continent.
I was hoping to be more prepared this time..

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 am

Just a suggestion; make sure you take take euros/pounds in small notes/coins.
You can then buy something small like a bottle of water with a small note. You always get dirhams back in change for other purchases.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Liz

Thanks for the good tip as in the past i have often been left with bills no smaller than €50s and when people see large bills it automatically brings attention.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:59 pm

It is very unlikly that you could get a bottle of water useing a 5 pound/euro note and get change back in Dhm......or if you did what do you think the exchange rate would work out at :lolno:

Why all the hassle? Just get correct level of exchange rate at an officual outlet and ASK for small notes and coins!

And yes, it IS possible to get Dhm in Europe :thumbup:

Mid 40's and going up here at Er Chebbie :roll:

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:12 pm

A few weeks ago we had no problem getting a bottle of water with a 5 euro note. ChNge came dock in dirhams, exchange rate they used was 1Euro to 10 Dirhams. Easy enough to work out. Do agree, however, that small notes are better than large.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 pm

detourer,

And yes, it IS possible to get Dhm in Europe

Do you know where as this was the reason for original post as i would prefer to do this?

Thanks

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am

The Moroccan dirham is a closed currency and the banks in Spàin told me they couldn´t get it. Be careful that you are not looking at other dirhams such as UAE etc. which happened to a friend of mine who ordered dirhams for the wrong country from her bank! :(
It would be good to know if detourer knows otherwise. You can excange at the money sellers/banks/ATMs on the Tangiers side of the port but in my experience they only give you 100 /200 dirhams notes which are very difficult to change in the market for small items. You can not of course officially take dirhams out of Morocco either except very small amounts or it will be confiscated at the border if found.
The marketeers in my experience refuse euro coins as they can not change them in the banks. Hence my solution is to have about twenty €5 notes depending on length of stay which has always worked for me in both the restaurants and markets. It´s easy to work out the approx price in euros as they operate on 10 to 1 and to hand over the appropriate number of notes. The change is given in dirhams coins. It´s also good for bargaining as the traders will get a better exchange rate at the bank than 10 to 1 once they have accumulated a lot of notes.
Of course if you are coming from the UK, do the same in 5 pound notes as it makes no sense to exchange twice.
Oh .... and you can just bring the euros/pounds not used home with you so no worry about how much money you will need!
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"