Malaga Airport Parking - Beware!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
towella
Andalucia.com Amigo

Malaga Airport Parking - Beware!

Postby towella » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

I thought I would share our experience of parking at Malaga airport to stop others being ripped off. We used 'Parking Solimar' near Leroy Merlin. When we returned to our car we could tell straight away that our car had been used. It smelled of smoke, was much lower on fuel and the seats had been re-positioned. We found dated receipts from food outlets and paper work for the owner of the parking company from the Junta de Andalucia. They tried to charge us again on collection even though we had already paid. Luckily I had insisted on a receipt at the time (which had said that I paid nothing - but again I insisted that it was stamped 'pagado' - paid). I challenged the men in the office about the use of my car, they simply said that they had to use it to take it to be washed. The car was not clean! Unfortunately I had no proof of the mileage, so I guess there is little I can do except warn others not to use this company. I would in future insist that the parking company record the mileage for the car and stamp it - so there will be no room for doubt!

Dawn - [email protected]

Laslomas
Resident

Re: Malaga Airport Parking - Beware!

Postby Laslomas » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Several years ago I left my car at a long term indoor parking at Malaga Airport. I also booked a wash and valet for my return 3 weeks later. When I got back they gave me the final invoice and it included engine oil. They explained that they had checked the oil levels whilst valeting!!!! Never heard of that before. But the problem was that the car did not need more oil. It is an oil cooled car and had 11.5 litres of oil already in the system. But it is a dry sump system so the oil does not register on the dipstick. It can only be checked on the dials once the engine is running and warm and the car is level. Overfilling can cause the engine to seize. So our idea of returning to a clean car for a leisurely drive home became a nightmare as we needed to sort the excess oil out first. I refused to pay for the oil and gave up on trying to get the company to compensate for their error.

Also, my neighbour had a problem when they parked with a long term parking company at Malaga. Their car had definately been used, seats moved, mirrors adjusted, radio retuned, etc. They had driven to the parking lot and parked the car so there was no need for anyone to be inside the car. The biggest giveaway was that the soft top had been down and not clipped back correctly! They got absolutely nowhere when they challenged the company. Since that experience they prefer to find other solutions, but when they did need to park up for a couple of week they took along a similar sheet of paper to that which the companies use. They noted any marks on the car and noted the mileage, and the trip meter mileage, and asked the rep to sign that they were parking the car only and would not be taking the car outside the perimeter fence. After a bit of a stand off they signed the agreement. Not sure what they intended to do if they were suspicious again though.
Personally I would just love to have the knowledge to enable me to set up a motion activated camera if I left my car at one of these companies again. In fact possibly it could be something available to rent from a technology firm.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm

I've stopped using any parking company that "looks after" the keys for your car for that very reason. Some are reputable but working out which are and which are not is very difficult.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Not exclusive to Spain, saw a progamme on UK parking company, one guy got his Merc back with confetti inside it, another got a speeding ticket when he got back. Others they left a tracker on and no sooner the aircraft had left the ground the cars were removed from the secure parking and dumped on some industrial estate on the side of the road. :thumbdown:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Laslomas wrote: Personally I would just love to have the knowledge to enable me to set up a motion activated camera if I left my car at one of these companies again. In fact possibly it could be something available to rent from a technology firm.

Well,I wouldn't trust that to still be in the car when you returned.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

We have started to use P3 at the airport. You leave your car parked there and take the keys with you!

Last time we used a carpark company our car had done 12kms whilst we were away and they said that it was because their parking facility is some way away from the airport. Goodness only knows where it ended up and we always look at all the cars abandoned on the roadside near to Leroy Merlin and wondered if that's where our car was parked for the days we were away :thumbdown: . It's difficult to know who to trust these days unfortunately.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

I have used these people on a number of occasions:

http://www.parkingnorte.com/

They have always been efficient, they have a covered car park opposite Toys R Us, and, although I checked my cars mileage when I first used them, I know that I dont need to now.
Best of all, they are very competitive !!
Hardworking resident !!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Never had a problem with blue cat parking.
Dave

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Never had a problem with Costa Golf.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm

I've never used them. Why would you give your car keys to someone who ,in all probability ,you wouldn't even give a lift too if he asked ? :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 am

I always use P3 owned by AENA the airport owner and found them very good, pre book and its as cheap as anyone, undercover and very secure. Oh yes and you take your keys with you !! :thumbup:

towella
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby towella » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 am

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I think I will switch to P3 at least you keep your keys and it is owned and operated by the airport.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 am

towella wrote:Thank you all for your advice and comments. I think I will switch to P3 at least you keep your keys and it is owned and operated by the airport.
Actually operated for the airport under contract by Empark. They also operate some of the car parks at Edinburgh and Stansted Airport. You do still keep your keys though.

Book in advance for better rates. http://www.parkandboard.com/ It's in Spanish but fairly straight forward. We have used them several times and never had a problem.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm

We use P3 or Larga Estancia as I call it. :D - oh and OH found an e-mail address so we are sorted for leaving our car there for longer than originally planned (due to us having to stay in England) We got a very nice reply wishing me well after my op. :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Campo Steve wrote: Book in advance for better rates. http://www.parkandboard.com/ It's in Spanish but fairly straight forward. We have used them several times and never had a problem.
I tried every day for about 10 days but couldn't get the parkandboard site to work, so I emailed the head office in Madrid and they told me to use (this is the English version):
https://www.reservasparking.com/carnewb ... px?lang=UK

I have now managed to book my car in OK.

paultaylor
Tourist

Postby paultaylor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am

I use a company called Chips Away, they just changed name to Best Parking I think.

They are all Brits, have an English web site, and their parking is about 5 mins away from the terminal near Churriana.

I go away for around two weeks per month and have been using them for 3 years now and never had any problems. Best thing is that they also have a free VIP service, just book in advance and then they are waiting at the terminal to take the car away. Same thing on return, phone up and pick up outside 10 mins later. I know most of them by name now and trust them to look after my car.

http://www.airportparkingmalaga.com/

Wellington
Tourist

Postby Wellington » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:31 am

I have to say I having been using BlueCat Parking at Malaga....

Apart from snapping my key in the ignition when the gave it a valet !!!
Never had problems with them at all. Car always comes back clean !!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

novaser

Postby novaser » Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 am

I've had a lot more problems than you, with parking Solimar.

- They used the vehicle for a week in very bad conditions (tracks ....)

- The tank was nearly full, and I found it almost empty.

- It feels inside the vehicle cigarette and carries traces of cigarette burn, while me and my wife we do not smoke.

- They stole my pocket pc GPS (Airis), and the money that was in the glove box.

- at the end they gave me the shot flat tires: they deflated a tire and the spare tire. They asked me to bring them for repair. They were swollen in the corner a few minutes and I pay them 25 euro for the so-called repair.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri May 24, 2013 10:51 am

They stole my pocket pc GPS (Airis), and the money that was in the glove box.
Why on earth did you leave that in the car?
Dave

novaser

Postby novaser » Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 am

these things happen but we do realize that after.