Autobus from the airport to Velez Malaga

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Autobus from the airport to Velez Malaga

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 am

Thinking of a change of plan for our trips in future. We're sorted for a lift back to the airport but are now thinking of using the bus to get to Velez, not far from where our car is stored.

I've been on the airport bus site and can see we'd need to get the airport bus to Malaga bus depot. It then says 38 and 39 busses do the Velez and Nerja runs.......but then the trail goes cold.

Anybody know please for sure

1) How often they run to Velez?

2) Is it grief getting an airport bus to Malaga?

3)Are these busses packed or nice and comfy?

4) How long is the trip? I'm assuming an hour or so.

We fancy doing this and not being dependent on people........we used to leave our car at Malaga full time but on a couple of occasions I'm convinced the car was used by others whilst we were away :roll:

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Cheers
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Autobus from the airport to Velez Malaga

Postby frank » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 am

Can you not get one of your friends there to pick you up? A bus is so yesterday daaarling! :lolno: I noticed the taxi to Nerja is around €100 now, can you not get a local to do it and slip him €40-50? Never been on the bus and I hope it stays that way. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 am

Bus or train Airport to City (train station over road from bus station) and

https://www.alsa.es/en

Has all the answers

It is simplicity personified even my wife ...........

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 am

DA

Go to http://tinyurl.com/66srzub and you'll get the times. Key in "origen" and "destino" and tick the box "consulta din fecha".

It's €3.13 for a one-way and €5.68 for a return.

Airport to Malaga is straightforward. The bus is outside terminal 2 on the ground floor.
Buses are comfortable. The journey is around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am

Never done the bus thing Frank. Everyone keeps telling me how cheap they are...........which is true, and also how easy it is to use the services.

The Spanish friend who was picking us up has thankfully now got full employment on a new building scheme :thumbup: I could easily ask other Spanish blokes who'd do it............but I'm not really big on asking for favours, bit independant really. Plus they do so much for me anyway I don't want to take the pee.

The English who used to pick us up were usually dearer than a beeping taxi and also expected the cases to be full of food food for their efforts.

As I say, it's something different. If it's a no goer I'll put the car back with Parking Sur..........no sweat.

Just saw your post Dave..........many thanks for that. I'm going to browse that now.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 am

I noticed the taxi to Nerja is around €100 now
The official cost is €70. Out of hours is around €100.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 am

Dave, again thanks. Only thing is (and it's probably me), is that the linked page seems to be in "airline" format where you put your date in, number of people etc.

I was hoping for an old fashioned timetable sort of thing that just shows the Malaga to Velez run with times and frequency.........it may be on that site and I've missed it so I'm having another look now.

Thanks for your help.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 am

We came back from the airport by public transport yesterday evening. We prefer to get the train from the airport into Malaga Maria Zambrano station , the trip is just under 15 minutes and less chance of being held up by any roadworks, accidents, etc.

If the Alsa ticket windows in the bus station are open, you need to buy your bus ticket there as sometimes the bus drivers are awkward about letting you buy one on the bus - but they've usually been OK if I've explained that there was a long queue and I would have missed the bus if I'd waited. Having said that, yesterday (5.30 pm) there was nobody waiting at all, which was a first!

The bus for Velez leaves from stand 39, right at the far end of the bus station - well it would be, wouldn't it? :)

At times when a lot of people are travelling to or from work it can be full, but if you get on at the bus station you can always get a seat, people wanting to get on at the Port are not always so lucky. The Directo services (they go via the autovia between Rincon and Torre del Mar, whereas the normal services go along the coast road) are a bit quicker but only by about 15 minutes - there are no Directo services on Saturdays or Sundays. The one way fare from Malaga to Velez is €3.13.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:20 am

[email protected] thanks for that in depth summary, appreciated.

Do you know by any chance the frequency of the bus to Velez.........ie could you be faced with a 3 hour wait for it?

We will always be using it midweek at about 1pm.............does that sound like a good time to you?

Finally, you mention the train. Would love more info. on that if poss............are we saying that does the Malaga-Velez run too?

I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl...as I say,something different for us.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 am

OH has done it, says it's easy. He did it when he took our hire car back, just after we'd bought a car. If I wasn't such a wimp about driving, I would have followed him in our new (old lol) car.

He enjoyed the bus journey - you get the bus from the airport to the bus station, then go to the automatic information machine near the cafe, put in where you want to go and it will tell you the bay no and times of busses, also will print off the info. You get the ticket on the bus - OH got the bus all the way to Canillas, it stops in Velez which takes less than an hour. Cost him 4 euros 50 at the time.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 am

So Irene, F@L said you have to pay at a window to be correct. Did your OH just print off the ticket and pay on the Bus......or after printing the ticket did he then take it to a window to pay?

Thanks

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am

FAL, your reply is much more comprehensive and I'm sure correct re. procedure, OH was probably just lucky, no problem buying the ticket on the bus :) He didn't print off the ticket, just the info that came up on the machine. There was an 'official' standing by the machine (like an ATM in the wall) and he helped him but of course he may not be there all the time. (You don't have to print anything off if your memory is OK :D)

Times of busses to Canillas are few and far between, maybe there are more to Velez. Edit: Just had a quick look at the timetable, the busses to Velez Malaga seem very frequent, you should be fine, D.A.
Last edited by IreneD on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:34 am

Devils Advocate wrote:[email protected] thanks for that in depth summary, appreciated.

Do you know by any chance the frequency of the bus to Velez.........ie could you be faced with a 3 hour wait for it?

We will always be using it midweek at about 1pm.............does that sound like a good time to you?

Finally, you mention the train. Would love more info. on that if poss............are we saying that does the Malaga-Velez run too?

I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl...as I say,something different for us.
No, the buses Malaga-Velez are pretty frequent (about every half hour during the day on weekdays, a little less in the evenings and weekends). If you arrive on a weekday, buses from 1.00 pm onwards leave Malaga at:-

13.00, 13.30, 14.00 (Directo), 14.30, 15.00 (Directo), 15.30, 16.00, 16.30

The train from the airport only runs into Malaga - Maria Zambrano station where you need to get off is just across the road from the bus station. As a guide to total timings, yesterday our plane touched down at 4.40 pm, we had to collect a suitcase, go across to the station, wait 10 minutes for a train (they run every 20 minutes), walk across to the bus station, buy our ticket, wait for the bus which left 5 minutes after the scheduled time of 5.45 pm and we arrived in Velez at 7.10pm.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 am

DA

Key in "origen" and "destino" and tick the box "consulta sin fecha". You'll get the times.
Every half hour from 6:30 am to 11:00pm.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 am

Brilliant F@L top info :thumbup:

Purely out of interest. Are both the train and Bus from the airport to Malaga both in similar places of ease to get to from arrivals?

And again,simply out of interest what are the costs of both of those runs aprox?

It seems like quite a run if the train takes 15 minutes to get to the bus station..........as you say it would be longer on bus if traffic was bad. I think I'd use the train now if it's hassle free........and catch a cheeky beer or two in Malaga seeing as the buses run half hourly......perfect!!!

Glad I asked this question now.......many thanks. I thought it would be a big problem.

Dave thanks :thumbup:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:58 am

DA

Is it Sierra Tejada or Sierra Tejeda?
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Mowser wrote:DA

Is it Sierra Tejada or Sierra Tejeda?
Neither by the looks of it on the map in front of me........it seems we're in Sierra Alhama which I'd never even heard of :oops:

Anyhow I'm more interested in the Bus/Train info.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Anyhow I'm more interested in the Bus/Train info.
I asked the question as I was trying to figure out if local buses went your way.
(It's Tejeda btw)
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Mowser wrote: (It's Tejeda btw)
I'll not bite. If you've any more off topic or nit picking comments to make not relating to my question then don't post them here,PM me with them so as to keep any possible bunfight off the thread.

But somehow I know you'll continue it online :roll:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Catch the train €1.40 from the Airport into Malaga centro (last stop) walk down to the bus station near the new port, have a coffee in Franks opposite the bus station and catch the bus to Velez. They run all the time. We used to taxi all the time from the airport to Rincon @ €40 a time. We now use public transport and save €75 return. I think thats sensible if you have plenty of time and its not pi==ing down with rain.

€75 is a couple of nice lunches. Also Franks have very nice Tapas.