GR7 From Granada to Las Alpujarras

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Yasmin

GR7 From Granada to Las Alpujarras

Postby Yasmin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Hello,
I hope that someone can help me plan a nice trip to the Las Alpujarras.

First of all Is it possible to hike through GR7 route from Granada to Las Alpujarras Villages in november?
Also will there be any problem of Accommodation arourd that time? I'm planing to save money as much as I can,are there any youth hostels around that route?

Thanks..

ValL
Resident

Re: GR7 From Granada to Las Alpujarras

Postby ValL » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Which villages are you aiming for ? Granada, Lanjaron, over top to Cañar round to Soportújar ? I have done a small part of that walk, each way from Cañar. Have you looked at the walking Alpujarra websites ? they might help also there is member on here with the name, who may have more suggestions. I am sure there are some hostals in the high villages Bubión and Capileira, Berchules also Orgiva and Lanjaron. There are a campsites, I don't know opening months, Orgiva has 2 I think Pitres for sure. I have contacts in Lanjaron and Cañar and Juviles, if you are aiming for any of them as stops.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Have you got the book? ISBN 9781852845070. The girls who wrote it took 60 days to walk the whole stretch. So I guess you could do a fair bit of it in a month. Whether November would be as good a choice as (say) May I wouldn't like to guess.
The book does detail the places they stayed en route, complete with phone numbers and prices from 2007 - though how many of them are still in business, or open at thay time of year: I couldn't say.

However if you do take the GR7 through Granada, give us a yell and stop by for some refreshments as the GR7 around Benamaurel goes quite close to me.
Last edited by pete_l on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Yasmin,
Welcome to The Forum................

I walk parts of the GR7 daily when I'm in Spain (provincia de Jaén) the sign posting on my sections isn't very good so maybe you will need a good map/route planner for your section, so as not to rely on way markers.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Wikiloc is a good resource for information. This shows an Alpurras hike along the GR7
http://en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3455849
but there will be other routes and some have fantastic pictures.
It may also be good to contact the author of this web site and buy his book ?
http://www.gr7-granada.com/index.html#

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:22 am

Flan_taster! What an excellent site! Thank-you! As a keen walker this looks like a very tempting reason to come and holiday in Andalucia. :D :) :D :D

Ana2013
Tourist

Postby Ana2013 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Yasmin, just to say that the other post are correct, do your research, We stayed in Lanjaron and also in Trevelez last year. The weather in the mountains can be very changeable and some days you might see nothing, but a deep fog this time of year. Up closer to Trevelez the GR7 had been blown away due to a major flood in the past 2011 and the locals up there did not know when it would be fixed, this means a detour, There are lots of treking websites, check them out and as the people that are guides to give you an update. This area is really beautiful, no where in southern spain can match it. Wild and wonderful, super cheap, if you make the journey, post a report, there is a guy who did a walk from Tarifa to Budapest and his name is Johnny Hayes, he has a web page, he might be able to help. As regards places to stay, there are camp sites, also try that AIRBNB, you get people offering rooms, Also try Wikiloc, for route planners related to walking in Spain.