Ryanair easing some restrictions and loweing some charges.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Ryanair easing some restrictions and loweing some charge

Postby bernipops3 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:41 pm

I flew Ryanair Seville to Stansted on Sunday 1st December and back again on the 4th.

Firstly if flying from Seville it is a complete waste of time buying priority boarding as everyone queues to go through passport control and then they usher you directly down the stairs to queue behind a closed door until you are ready to board. No sign of a priority/non priority queuing system. Then you are bused from the terminal to the plane.

Being able to take an extra bag on board is an absolute bonus but even on Day 1 you could see people abusing this and taking on a second bag well in excess of the limits given. The knock on effect is of course that there is less room in the overheads (particularly this time of year with all the heavy coats etc) so all the cases that did not fit had to be put in the hold which took time and delayed take off. All the bags taken off had to have a sticker put on them with information taken from the passengers boarding pass.

When we landed at Stansted the bags taken off the plane were placed at the bottom of the aircraft steps for people to pick up.

As we took off after 9.00 pm we had a "quiet" flight with no announcements and subdued lighting - it was bliss.

On the return journey priority/non priority queues were in place but again the second bag sizing was being abused and the check in staff went down the queues ignoring this but putting stickers on all the cases past the count of the 90 now allowed in the cabin. These were then supposed to be left at the bottom of the aircraft steps for loading in the hold.

As we were sat in the front we observed all the passengers boarding with their bags as some had resourcefully taken the stickers off. About 25 bags then had to be taken off the plane much to the annoyance of the (a) passengers (b) ground staff who had to fill in the stickers and (c) the baggage handler who had to go up and down the steps with the bags.

The plane was late arriving and after all this was delayed even further.

It does make me wonder how long Ryanair will put up with delayed turnarounds because it wont do their on-time percentages any good.

Hope these observations help.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 pm

bernipops3 wrote:SNIP

The plane was late arriving and after all this was delayed even further.

It does make me wonder how long Ryanair will put up with delayed turnarounds because it wont do their on-time percentages any good.

Hope these observations help.
It could also alter their prices.
They rely on quick turnarounds as they don't make any money whilst the plane is on the ground, it probably costs them money to stay on the ground. The more flights they can do during the day means they can keep their prices low.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:02 pm

I love Ryanair; never had complaint against them in nearly 400 flights, but I do believe this decision to allow a second bag will come unstuck.

The number of cabin bags has been increasing over the last few years as their checked baggage prices went up. These prices are now reduced so checked baggage may increase again taking the pressure off cabin bag numbers, but I doubt it.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:39 pm

I agree ajtg1952. More people are going to find their carry on bag ending up in the hold because people are still going to try to abuse the limits. Won't stop them complaining of course.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:28 pm

ajtg1952 wrote: You can change a booking by phoning their help line.
At what cost ajtg? Most of us here in Spain only have a mobile, making charges even higher than the premium rates for the help line.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
ajtg1952 wrote: You can change a booking by phoning their help line.
At what cost ajtg? Most of us here in Spain only have a mobile, making charges even higher than the premium rates for the help line.
All of us on here have computers. Last time I phoned Ryanair I used Voipcheap. Cheaper than using the mobile.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Had my first flight since the new baggage changes from Liverpool late last night.

Very full flight and absolutely no problems with hand baggage. I have a small rucksack that fitted in the small bag box exactly. One Warburtons loaf and sixteen crumpets, Kindle, wallet, phone etc.

At the gate we were asked, politely, if we wanted to put our main bag in the hold free of charge and I was amazed how many people took up this, I think mainly by pax who had hold baggage as well [it would make more sense to ask at check-in].

Though the flight was full there was still room in the overhead bins. I did not see any evidence of "large" second bags.

We also had the dimmed lighting and very few announcements.

Incidentally, it was a Spanish crew wanting to get home for the night. The cabin crew loaded the aircraft faster then I have ever seen, the physically moved the ditherers along the aircraft and made them sit down. If they were last on and wanted to sit together; together, SIT was the cry. Personally I would use cattle prods!!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Interesting. My first flight post-changes will be Thursday night Seville to Stansted so it will be interesting to compare. If offered I might just put my wheelie in the hold as I will have camera and tablet in my man-bag. The walk from plane to baggage hall is usually a very long one from the late flights and passport control is always very crowded at that time so the bag will likely be there before me. So long as I can have the small bag with me I'll be happy - and lighter!

Agree about the cattle prods BTW.
Brian.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm

"Cattle prods"?!!

Why not just gas anyone who takes too long, has too big a bag, doesn't have blond hair or is over 12 stones etc etc? In fact the list could be a lot longer to make plane travel just for perfect folk.

I travelled recently with an elderly relative a bit unsteady on their feet. Booked seats near the front and the lift put us at the back of the plane to struggle against the flow of people loading from the front. Probably the airports fault but by the same token Ryanair now make disabled folk struggle all the way to "special designated rows two thirds of the way back from the front. Probably so placed that in the event of an evacuation they are last to get the best volume off.

As we have become cattle we have become less tolerant.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Tongues in cheeks Olive! Calm down dear.
Brian.

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I have always used Ryanair but always found it a bit stressful. Just used them over christmas and found it alot less stressful with being able to take a handbag. The size of the handbag is quite big and there is no weight restriction on it. As we were queuing to board they asked if you wanted to put your travel case in the hold, which I chose to do as I also had hold luggage. I found this so much easier that I did not have the long walk with a travel case. I also think it will be alot better from 1st Feb with allocated seating. Well done Ryanair.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm

We had the same experience, deb. As we had a bag checked in we had no problem with our hand baggage going to the hold apart from a small hand bag with wallet, ipad and passport etc.On arrival it was in the first lot on the conveyor belt. Being a "quiet flight" the drinks trolley only made one trip (no hassle as it was only a two and a bit hours flight) and no announcements for fake cigarettes or scratch cards. No fanfare on arrival although we were on time.

I don't know if it was part of the cutbacks but the drinks/food trolley ran out of beer halfway down the aircraft and also had no wine or sandwiches. The reason given was that the aircraft had already been to Oslo and back and not restocked at Bournemouth. Some passengers weren't happy and the cabin crew seemed embarrassed about it.

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 am

It´s a long time since I have travelled with RA, I have a flight soon with them and I have noticed that my flight boarding from Malaga to UK has no seat number, but the return flight from UK to Malaga does have a seat number, it that normal now? I did not pay any extra for reserved seat or priority boarding etc.
Is it maybe to avoid the injuries in the UK airport caused by all the elbowing and pushing to get to a seat that we British are so good at ?
Thankyou.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 am

When are you travelling? Seats will be allocated when you check in from 1st February for free, unless you want to choose your seat. This applies to all RYR flight regardless of airport.

http://tinyurl.com/mt85yrg

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 am

thankyou , that explains it, I leave 31st january and return 3rd February, looking forward to boarding the return flight with no bruises.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Recently I have flown many times with Ryanair, always Edinburgh Faro and have never seen a fight for anything by people using them. No pushing shoving elbows or otherwise. The new rule re airport purchases makes a lot of difference although I have not seen many airside bags with so called duty free in them. More a case of using your handbag to give you more space in the hand luggage. Nothing was checked for size or weight, in the queue on my last return trip. All very civilised really. Having free seating has never been a problem for me, mostly board from back of plane and get a seat in the first 6 to 10 rows. Sat in an emergency row seat last time, I had forgotten how much better the leg room really is. I have not read the rules for allocated seats, will you be able to change them when booking and if so at what cost ?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 am

Passengers may now use their personal electronic devices during all stages of the flight so long as they are switched to flight mode.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair- ... ll-flights
Brian.

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 am

I had a very entertaining return flight with RYANAIR from the UK on the 3rd February with the new numbered seat system.
After being packed into the cattle pen in the departure gate, the passengers were finally then let loose to run the few metres from the departure gate to the aircraft, there were steps both front and rear.
Only about half the passengers were aware of the new system and had noticed they had a seat number, the other half rushed for either set of steps and sat at any seat they fancied, jackets off, handluggage in overhead locker, and the usual sound of tin foil as they opened their sandwiches.Then another passenger arrives to tell them they are sitting in his seat, that starts a row.There were about 50 separate arguments going on inside the plane over whose seat was whose.

Eventually the steward tells everyone they have a seat number on the boarding pass.So half the passengers now have to put away the sandwiches, jacket on, handluggage out of overhead locker, and try to make their way to their correct seat.

At this stage half of them are trying to go towards the front of the plane, and the other half trying to get to the back,all in a passage about 50cm wide!

After about 15 minutes of complete standstill , the pilot now says he has to take off, so everyone should immediately sit down in any seat, most passengers did so, but of course a few refused and insisted on having their seat number, a few had even paid extra for a certain seat number and were not going to sit in another seat !

We eventually took off over an hour late due to the seat number chaos ! which was maybe worthwhile as it saved us the fanfare on arrival!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 am

I assume you are not a regular Ryanair passenger as they have not used the Fanfare since the end of last year.
I would expect problems with seating for sometime. The change only happened a few days ago. The gate staff should have made it clear though that everyone now had a seat number. And to be fair, if I paid for a specific seat I would expect to get it !
The main problem is that it is a fact that 90% of pax leave their brains in the car park when it comes to flying.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I have used them a lot recently and never seen anyone open their sandwiches as soon as on a flight. Normally later when at flying altitude. I have also heard the fanfare on at least 3 of my recent flights 2 others were late. Unless you booked your flights fairly close to your travel date you would not know about the changes unless you are someone who looks for changes or keeps up to date with what is happening with airlines. I personally book the flight then forget about it gets to time for printing boarding pass and packing my case. Somewhere in the transit through the airport notification of the new seating should be pointed out to customers for an initial period. I have to fly again end of April and if travelling with them will see if it tells me clearly about numbered seats.