Ryanair easing some restrictions and loweing some charges.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rafiki
Resident

Ryanair easing some restrictions and loweing some charges.

Postby rafiki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:05 am

That tipping point may have been reached. Handbags and airport purchases will soon be allowed in addition to the wheelie, error corrections allowed online FOC (with a time limit) and some other exorbitant fees reduced.
http://tinyurl.com/nrdjqrt
Brian.

carrowcrin
Resident

Re: Ryanair easing some restrictions and loweing some charge

Postby carrowcrin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 am

yeah, also big changes to booking next month, heard micko being interviewed last week and he said a person would have to be daft to try to book on ryanair.com.... that the whole booking thing was a *beep* mess... someone in Ireland probably looking for a job.

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Ryanair easing some restrictions and lowering some charg

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:18 am

The man is getting soft; time he was put out to pasture and take me on.

I would change nothing. His comments at the end of the item are so relevant. The woman who forgot to print off her five boarding cards is an idiot [must remember to print mine today] and the customer is not always right.

Customers try it on, and when it comes to a “small” bag, that will be a handbag to a few, a computer case to many and another case to the selfish individuals I always seem to be flying with.

Personally, I would leave it as it is. Airline pax need discipline and this is one area that Ryanair have been good at. The more options you give people the less control you have and the more chaos created.

I have been flying with Ryanair regularly since January 1987 when I flew from Prestwick to Dublin in a Romanian BAC 1-11 with a crew that did not speak a word of English, but I only paid 1.99 GBP for the one way flight.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree with ajtg1952. I wouldn't change much although the ability to correct a spelling error online would be useful as I often spell my son-in-laws name incorrectly. Most people I have seen complaining about Ryanair at the airport or in newspaper comments complain about things that were their fault in the first place by not following simple rules. I might, perhaps, suck up to the Daily Mail a bit as they seem to have it in for Ryanair.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 am

I think the ladies (and some men) will be happy to be able to carry their handbags on instead of having to stuff them into the wheelie and take them out again once onboard although, as mentioned above, it is open to abuse.
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 am

And from the BBC News website this moning in an article about Ryanair's annual profit fall:

"It has announced a plan to introduce allocated seating from 1 February next year which will allow passengers to select seats on aircraft, as long as they check-in more than 24 hours prior to the date of departure."
Brian.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 am

At the moment these changes, according to the Ryanair web site, only apply until end of March 2014. According to one report I have read it is because the changes are down to a court ruling in Madrid, which Ryanair are going to appeal.

I do hope the new ruling allowing a small handbag in addition to carry on bag stays as it causes delays when people open their cases to take out their handbags to get a book or purse out. Not bothered about the duty free bag as I don't find duty free shops cheap for what I would buy. I'm as well buying it in Spain and sticking it in my suitcase, if I take one.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Why cant they just simplify things and say you can take as much baggage as you want - so long as you and the luggage does not exceed 120Kg , say!

That way the fatties struggle and the skinnies benefit ... that would give an incentive to keep your weight down.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 am

Campo Steve wrote:At the moment these changes, according to the Ryanair web site, only apply until end of March 2014.
Yes, I read that item but thought it a bit ambiguous at the time. I don't think that's what they meant. From the Ryanair website today:

2014 will be the first summer where customers can not only enjoy Ryanair’s low fares, but also its recent service improvements including allocated seating, a small 2nd carry-on bag, an easier website booking platform and quiet flights before 8am and after 9pm, which makes Ryanair the ideal choice for family and friends planning their summer 2014 holiday.
Brian.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 am

including allocated seating, a small 2nd carry-on bag, an easier website booking platform and quiet flights before 8am and after 9pm,

Allocated seating. Sounds fair enough. That might just make boarding quicker and avoid those unpleasant rushes for seats.

quiet flights. ? What are those then? No babies, children and hand held music playing devices? No endless trolley sales, no tannoy announcements or quieter jet engines on those flights?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I am a little confused about the size of the 2nd hand bag. It is detailed on the press release that this will be 35x20x20 cms, suitable for a bottle of wine.

I have just measured the 6 bottle wine box I have brought home from Lidl and it measures 30x25x16. This seems to be quite a big second bag allowance; happy days!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:15 pm

The "quiet flights" could mean they will use low-noise aircraft so airports will permit flights when the normal world is sleeping - or maybe that the trolley-dollies will not constantly harrange the passengers to buy lottery tickets etc"
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 am

Some of the changes come into force this Sunday. It's the second carry on bag change and the reduction in the charge if you forget to print your boarding pass.

http://tinyurl.com/olh22uk

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

Sod's Law - OH flies tomorrow! At least she can avoid stuffing her handbag into the Ryanair-approved cabin bag for the return.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 am

Likewise. My OH flies out today, back on Monday. At least she'll have room for a pressie for me!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 pm

The new baggage guages were rolled out in Edinburgh tonight. As I said earlier the second bag allowance is quite big and does not appear to have a weight allowance.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 am

The Ryanair FAQ on their updated website has what I think is new wording in the Cabin Baggage section:

Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.

On very full flight I have often seen latecomers being unable to find space for their bag in the overheads. The crew take it for carriage in the hold. I have often wondered if the passenger can collect that bag at the foot of the stairs where pushchairs etc. are collected when disembarking or whether it must be collected at the carousel in the baggage hall. I'm guessing the latter but has anyone experienced this?
Brian.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:07 am

I believe it will need collecting at the carousel. We flew Easyjet from Bristol once and had our cabin bag removed because of lack of space. We had to get it at the carousel.

Plus not all airports allow parents to collect pushchairs at the aircraft. Our daughters have had a couple of occasions where they had to collect the pushchair at the carousel but it varies. Twice it has happened at Malaga but on other occasions they have been able to get it at the aircraft.

As for being unable to find space in the overhead locker, I don't fret about it as my carryon case fits under the seat in front of me. Gives me something to put my feet on.

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I have a flight booked for the 23rd Dec which I want to change to another date and airport. In the question and answers it says that I can do this online, but every time I try it comes up saying there is an error. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Probably a bug in their new webpage. It is normally a straightforward procedure. You can change a booking by phoning their help line.