Do You Spain/Malagacar

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Do You Spain/Malagacar

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 pm

We had a Goldcar last April, and despite there being two sets of desks open, we had a 2 hour wait to collect the car :shock: :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 am

I rest my case,m'lud!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 pm

As I've written before I've always used DYs,used to get cars from Record (rent a wreck)
and latterly Firefly who were generally ok.
So on recommendation from members here I used Malagacar on this trip.
Not the cheapest,but not far out on the initial price.
when you take their fuel policy into account...1/2 full at regular price,bring back empty Ireckon they were cheaper than DYS.
So,out of the airport in under 5 minutes with hand luggage...the arrivals hall was absolutely empty...directed to the mini bus stop efficiently by the girl outside.
5 minute wait for the bus and told I had to wait for 2 more passengers.
My thoughts were" this ain't gonna work if they have to wait half an hour for their bags to arrive,I might as well have got the car from Firefly."
Fortunately they turned up 5 minutes later with hand baggage and away we went.
So what does happen,do they wait a few minutes and then shuttle off or do they wait longer and how long.?
The impression i got from the forum is that the transfer is immediate?
Anyway the paperwork was done quickly and efficiently,no hard sell.
The car was immaculate,no dents,clean and tidy and less miles than I'm used to.
So overall a good impression and i'll use them again next time,pretty impressed.

Just an aside,flew Norwegian Air again from Gatwick,under £60.00 return, bargain,and the plane was only 3/4 full and no kids!

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Would strongly advise against using GOLDCAR. Used them last year and spent 7 weeks chasing a refund on insurance charged twice. Only got it in the end when I demanded the name of the Company Director in order to submit a Small Claim through the Scottish Courts. Should not have to go to such lengths!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Just an add on to Zanuck's comment about Helle Hollis. I'm using them at the minute, and was happy with the price I got for 10 days. You do get 15% off with home owners club, but you then have to pay up front, and that includes (in my case) 108 euros for diesel. However, if I take it back full, I get the full amount refunded. I have my own XS insurance, so didn't want theirs, so I also had to pay 350 up front for damage. In total they are sat on 560 euros of my money, although hopefully I will get 470 of that back when I return the car. If you don't take the Home Owners Club discount you don't have to prepay. You can also cancel right up to the last minute without incurring any charges.
AlisonB

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi alisonb

It's been years since I used anyone else than Helle Hollis, but don't all companies take an insurance deposit if you choose not to buy their insurance?

I too have my own UK based insurance for excess insurance policy and my brother who stayed with us a couple of months ago also took it out upon my suggestion.

His HH rental car was keyed in Torre del Mar, (but thankfully only on 3 of the four panels on one side :shock: ), he told me that HH were very courteous and he filled out a couple of forms and claimed when back in the UK and was reimbursed within 10 days.
alisonb wrote: In total they are sat on 560 euros of my money, although hopefully I will get 470 of that back when I return the car.
I've always had the full amount returned to my card, in fact to a card of my choice, not necessarily the one I used to pay with initially.

Not sure how €350 plus €108 = €560?

Obviously depending upon the date of rental and return and the dates of your credit card bill and when you repay it or pay some of it, whilst HH may be making a few cents in interest on your €458 (or€560), you may not have to pay any interest at all to your credit card company, so probably not a concern.

With the Home Owners Club, you only have to pay two weeks ahead of pickup, if you don't have HOC, you have to pay a month ahead of pickup.

Z

PS.
HH will be increasing the insurance deposit charge wef March 2015 by either 50 or 100 Euro depending upon car rental group.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm

I think it was "including 108€ for diesel" rather than the whole cost of hire....

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi chrissiehope

After I posted, I wondered if the €560 was the total cost, if that's the case, then HH are not "sitting on" €560; they have taken alisonb's deposits which they will return when she returns the car undamaged and with a full tank and her rental charge.

Some time ago one of HH's reps told me that they aren't concerned about scuffs to the paintwork that don't penetrate the paint down to the metal and in my experience aren't concerned about "dings" gained by parking next to a less than careful shopper in El Ingenio shopping centre.

Z

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Most of my recent hires have been in UK, and there, they block the XS value on your crd but don't actually take it. I wasn't complaining about Helle Hollis. Their office is spotless, staff very pleasant and the girl I dealt with spoke better English than I did. Yes, the difference up to 560 is the value of the hire.
AlisonB

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:13 pm

I thought I'd just update this as i've always been a DYS customer,using Firefly and on my recent visit used Malagacar for the first time as previously commented on.
My return was 05.00 to take Norwegian air 07.00 flight to Gatwick
If you haven't used Norwegian then do so,I have booked in Feb 2015 2 tickets,total £120.00 return from Gatwick.
Anyway,bowled up at the airport at 05.00 on the dot,the old route was closed so used the new route.
It was absolutely peeing with rain and a nice man from Malagacar came out from the office and drove me to the airport in my hire car.
Very user friendly!
He said although they open officially at 05.00 he is there at 04.30.
That's dedication!
So all in all my first experience with malagacar is exemplary and i have just booked for 3 weeks+ end Feb/end March.
Well pleased and well recommended.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:32 am

Just an update on helle hollis. Took the car back and they processed the full refund there and then. So I'm more than happy with them.
AlisonB

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 pm

HH are obviously a good company so I checked their price for my 25 days Feb/March.
HH 440 e
Malagacar 150 e

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Friends are going to Nerja next Sunday for a week ,they told me the price they were paying Malagacar and I could not believe it , 30 eur for the week ,I have now got Malagacar in my favorites and will defiantly use them rather than Delpasso where I had my card cloned .
kerbut

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Just saw the post for the 30 euro for a week off Malagacar and checkd it as i am driving from Malaga to Almeria on the 12th and this is cheaper than taking the bus :)
When it says the tank is half full. do i take it i return it half full then ? as I will use my own car once i am there I dont want to be paying for a full tank as I have in the past, my flight time is normally perfect for the bus, but it would be a 4 hour wait with this flight, so a no brainer for me to hire the car at the price :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Now I have booked it i can see that you just use the fuel and pay the 30 euro charge for the half tank :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Just another thing which impressed me about Malagacar,I got 3/4 tank of fuel and was only charged for 1/2.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:16 am

Just to add my two penn'orth...

I had a malagacar for 2 weeks, and returned it yesterday. As Nimrod said, they took me to the airport in my hire car (tho' they lost Brownie points for just standing there & watching as I heaved my suitcase out of the back seat :thumbdown: )

The just under 2 weeks hire was 74€ (Toyota Aygo) plus 27.90€ for 1/2 tank fuel (tho' they probably got more back, as I was concerned about running out on my way back from nr Antequera !); and 200€ deposit, which I await the return of...

So on the whole, I was happy, and would use again :D

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:39 am

I and my family have used Malagacar.com for years. Never a problem and always a reasonable price. Once you are on their system it's very speedy and you get a discount. Their main advantage, as far as I am concerned is that they are not an agency, the cars are their own.
Sandramay

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Sandramay wrote:I and my family have used Malagacar.com for years. Once you are on their system it's very speedy and you get a discount. .
I noticed this ,I got a quote as an ordinary punter and then logged on as a previous hirer and got a price.
The price dropped from 166 to 150e

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Just got my credit card statement - on 17th Nov I was debited 290€ by Malagacar - £247.04, and on 3rd Dec I was credited 290€ - £159.56 :wtf:

That's a difference of £87.48 - more than the hire cost in the first place !!!! Somebody somewhere is making a fortune, and it's not me or Malagacar.... :shock: