Do You Spain/Malagacar

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Do You Spain/Malagacar

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:16 pm

gus wrote:Swerve,
I've noticed the "deposits" have increased substantially over the last few years but, since they generally put a "hold" on the funds rather than actually process a charge, I don't have a problem with it.
Always read the t and c's so you don't get a surprise!!
I have also noticed the deposits have increased substantially, two years ago the average amount was about 600 euros, that seems to have risen to as much as 1,500 euros. Personally, i think it is to scare people into taking out their insurance which has also risen from about 8 euros per day up to around 18 euros.

For those of you who arrange your own excess insurance have you ever had to make a claim and was it without hassle?

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:47 pm

I had a flat/damaged tyre and the excess insurance company paid up quickly and without quibble. Just sent the bill from the hire company ad they reimbursed me with the full amount.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 pm

I use insurance4carhire and have done for years. Last year I had to make a claim after I reversed into a large rock ( forgetting the hire car had no parking sensors!). I was charged 800 euros by del paso (excessive!) but it was returned within 2 weeks by my insurer very easily.
The charge made by DYS for excess insurance is still around 8 euros if you take it out with them rather than the supplier.
My next rental is a 5 door Clio with Firefly on 7th May for 3 weeks - cost 37.86 euros total.
Cheaper than a taxi :wave:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Gus, that's a fantastic rate for 3 weeks, have you used Firefly before?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes, this will be my 4th time in the last two years, and I've never had a problem with them. I am on their system (from about 5-6 years ago) so paperwork is pretty quick. No "hard sell" for insurance and I always take pics of the car on pick up AND return.
I always head to their office and leave the other half to collect luggage while I sort out the car - I'm usually sorted and waiting by the time she turns up.
That 3 week rate is one of the best I have had but I have had rates as low as 11 euros for 7 days earlier this year. The fuel rates for a tankful don't worry me with these rates. I always use DYS and usually pick the lowest rates !!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Pamela,
I just did a quick check on DYS for car hire from 7th to 28th may, three weeks.
Firefly come up with 12 euros"......that's right, 12 euros for 21 days hire.
I'm tempted to cancel my booking and start again!!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu May 05, 2016 9:37 am

Used malagacar coming out on the Sunday 24 April 09:00. The problem is they have become a victim of their own success. Demand was such that we had to wait for FOUR minibuses before getting to the office!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:42 pm

gus wrote:Pamela,
I just did a quick check on DYS for car hire from 7th to 28th may, three weeks.
Firefly come up with 12 euros"......that's right, 12 euros for 21 days hire.
I'm tempted to cancel my booking and start again!!
Gus, Did you cancel and start again? i booked 2 cars for the family for July but i've noticed the price has come down ,i will definitely cancel and rebook as there is quite a saving across 2cars.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:50 pm

ashtondav wrote:Used malagacar coming out on the Sunday 24 April 09:00. The problem is they have become a victim of their own success. Demand was such that we had to wait for FOUR minibuses before getting to the office!
Yes, you are quite right about the wait, we waited 30mins before we finally got on the minibus, giving out numbered tickets in the arrivals hall doesn't work either because people were just pushing forward with their ticket and the driver wasn't checking the numbers...

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat May 07, 2016 2:27 pm

I didn't bother Pamela,- couldn't be bothered for the difference involved. Pick up my car tonight and have camera ready ..

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue May 24, 2016 9:54 am

Malagacar.com an update - the good, the bad, the ugly.

We've now had the car just over 3 weeks. Yesterday it perished! This was no surprise as it had 60k on the clock and an engine bay that looked as if it had travelled exclusively through dusty river beds for 5 years. The engine warning light came on, the stability light came on and in slow traffic the engine stalled and sounded horrible when idling. I reckon the catalytic converter had met a nasty death.

To be fair to Malagacar they (within 40 minutes) arranged a Grua for the car and a taxi back to the airport for us to get a "new" car. "New"??? It's got comprehensive scratches on every surface, but at least it works. So far! And no queues at the office, unlike pick up in April.

Malagacar rating? Car quality 4/10. Customer service 10/10. So an average 7/10. I'll definitely use them again simply for that customer service, but PLEASE how about some new(ish) cars.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue May 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Interesting comment from Ashtondav above. My last three rentals from Malagacar were very new Renault Megane. Each time I had asked for a Toyota Aygo but get the biRenault for the same price. Where is the catch ? Is it the half fuel tank charge ?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue May 24, 2016 9:12 pm

:wink:
this has also happened me and I thing I also got a smaller car than I booked one time.
I do not think there is a catch and I did not question... one of the guys told me one time they have 5000 cars so I am guessing they have to tweak things from time to time...
they have worked well for me.....

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:51 am

Gus, how was firefly?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:10 pm

Firefly was fine, thanks.
As always, I take pics of the car and got the lady in the office to come out and note the several scratches and scrapes. There were the usual charges for a tank of fuel, service charge, credit card charge etc totalling 92 euros - I had already prepaid (38.50 for the hire charge) for the 3 week hire. I returned the car with about a 1/4 tank of fuel, which I was happy to lose.
After I returned home I realised they hadn't actually charged the 92 euros to my card, this came through a few days later and included a bit of a refund for fuel. My total cost was about £90 for 3 weeks hire including fuel use - I'm happy.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Not surprised that you are happy....id be at that rate...on here they all seem to be hotel Helios or whatever haha...I'm not afraid to change or use a company I'd never used before...I'm glad it all went ell for you Gus...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:46 pm

So you didn't buy their insurance and didn't face a coercive sales pitch? If so I'll definitely give them a try next time. I've now got malagacarhire.com, Centauro, and Firefly on the buy list.

And the magnificent HelleHollis if they EVER bring their prices into line with the competition.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Well i think you will be waiting along time...i've used everyone but them...never had a prob...touch wood...unless you have money to burn then go for it...i've read so much on here to put me off every car hire company..there is always going to be a bad experience with one company or another...its risk or don't hire a car...

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Just to point out - I book with DoyouSpain.com and I select Firefly, largely because they are on-airport , and, of course, on price.
Also, our flight doesn't land at Malaga till after 11pm and some companies, like delPaso, have started to apply a fee for " out of hours" collection after 11. Firefly is 12 pm so I can usually beat that.
And for ashtondav, I don't take their insurance ( I usually say that I understand the deposit required) and get no hassle. Maybe it's my charm??

daveandfleur

Postby daveandfleur » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Have always used doyouspain, lately almost exclusively del Paso. The cars are a little older than some but we don't really care at around 5 euros a day. Off airport is better than trying to find the car in that car park IMHO. Never had any hard sell on insurance, they just ask if we want deposit or insurance and always return the deposit immediately. Full/full policy so no fuel surcharge either To be honest we have never had any hire company charge for damage we haven't done in 12 years of renting many times a year. We have chipped a couple of windscreens and wrecked a tyre and protect your bubble paid out in 10 days on each occasion.

I may be wrong but my theory is that these companies make little on the rental but make a lot on repairs. They probably carry their own insurance i.e. have an arrangement where they fix their own cars and the insurer only pays out for third party damage. Repairs are charged at full main dealer rates but of course the small dent they will charge a whole new panel for just gets tapped out. You chip a screen and get charged a new one but it goes out to the next punter marked as 'chipped screen' etc. That's all fine by me as it makes for an amazing deal for the customer.