Bilbao to Fuengirola

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
carlos30

Bilbao to Fuengirola

Postby carlos30 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 am

Good morning. My husband and I are travelling to Spain next month for an extended stay. We are getting the ferry to Bilbao and driving down to the coast. Can anyone give any advice on the best route to take please. We are happy to use the toll roads but want to ensure we avoid going through cities eg Madrid. We were not planning on stopping overnight anywhere but if we change our mind can anyone suggest any good safe places to stay. Many thanks.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bilbao to Fuengirola

Postby Julie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 am

If you just pick up the M50 to go aroung mdrid you'll be fine just avoid the 30 or you will go through the centre, but if you do accidently just go over the far right handlane follow signs for cordoba and you will be back on track.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi carlos30,
Welcome to The Forum...............

Following on from Julie's post.........From picking up the M-50 north of Madrid to the first service station on the R-4 is 30 mins, there are two Tolls on the R-4 , work out about 12euro total.

If its a Sunday then you can use the A-4 as it will be fairly quiet (you have to drive past this turning to get to R-4.

For comfort breaks only stop at service stations that you can see from the Motorway, as some are off on industrial estates.

Any valuables , ie Passport carry on you, don't leave in a bag in the car. Don't leave small bags visible in the car keep with you.

Depending on what time you are travelling.....Hotel Alisa at Lerma has secure garage. I always use this one.

http://www.hotelalisa.com/ingles.html

Have a nice trip..............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:34 pm

I think it would be very difficult to avoid travelling through Madrid if you are going to Fuengirola from Bilbao without making sizable a detour.
If you follow Julie or Enrique's advice you can without going too close to the centre because Madrid has an extensive Motorway network.

Avoiding traffic the journey will take between 10-12 hours taking into consideration you will need to stop to fill up, rest, eat and so forth so I would consider stopping overnight.

I usually stay at one of the Travelodges near Madrid, which is just about 40 per cent into the journey, and gives us the opportunity to have a meal and explore Madrid a little.

There are various possible toll sections of motorway, which mostly have alternatives. I live in Bilbao so I can tell you about a new one here, which should be avoided.
Coming from the port you will need to follow Bilbao airport until you see an IKEA , then follow Bilbao, then Burgos. Do not take the airport exit after the IKEA .
The section between Bilbao and Burgos is toll and is unavoidable. Other posters from Andalucia will help regarding motorways there.

carlos30

Postby carlos30 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Thank you all very much for your helpful advice. I will let you know how we get on. :thumbup:

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Well I've cycled it, Bilbao - Malaga direct and never went anywhere near Madrid. It's shame that you intend to use the autovias, central Spain has some wonderful places to see and spectacular and desolate scenery. The N630 is a great road.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:59 pm

When you say you are not intending to stop anywhere overnight do you mean two drivers doing the trip with one sleeping while the other drives?

carlos30

Postby carlos30 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Well, I am taking details of possible hotels, but as we arrive at Bilbao at lunchtime my husband says he would prefer to do the drive with short stops but not stopping overnight, arriving around 9-10pm in the evening. We are very familiar with the Malaga area and have friends down there. We will be making the journey again next year for hopefully a much longer period of time. That is when we will probably do it in a more leisurely manner and take in some of the sights.

Can anyone tell me if when we disembark at Bilbao if there is plenty of clear signs showing how to get onto the correct road?
One other question we want to use the M50 rather than the M30 is it clearly signposted from the A1/AP1? Thank you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi carlos30,
Sort out your route plan with road numbers and you will find clear signs as you leave the port.

No chance of missing the M-50 turn as you come down the A-1, its at 21km junction north of Madrid.

carlos30

Postby carlos30 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:38 am

Thank you Enrique for your help. :D

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:53 am

Hi carlos30,
Also at 15km before the M-50 junction there is a sign reading..... 15km Jun 21 M-50

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:37 pm

carlos30 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when we disembark at Bilbao if there is plenty of clear signs showing how to get onto the correct road?
Coming from the port you will need to follow Bilbao airport until you see an IKEA , then follow Bilbao, then Burgos. Do not take the airport exit after the IKEA nor the Balmaseda exit further down the motorway. Stay on the motorway until you see the next BurgosVitoria Gastiez exit and don't take notice of any other directions.
If you do, you will be travelling in circles and paying for the pleasure