holidays

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

holidays

Postby wollie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 am

I wonder if anyone knows if jan 5th is a holiday, I want to get a bus on this day with bus company los amarillos from Malaga, I was told that jan 6th is a public holiday and that it is possible that these two dates will be tied together. I did send them an email with the help of google translate but got no reply.

thanks in advance

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: holidays

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:15 am

As far as I am aware Jan 6th, King's Day, is a public holiday and most places will be shut.
Jan 5th is a normal working day but some places might shut early as that is when the Three Kings parade.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:50 pm

The 5th technically isn't a holiday but many people may take the day off as a puente, bridging the weekend and the 6th.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for replies.
To mu surprise the company came back to say it is a normal work day.

Christmas wishes.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:54 am

It's a biblical day. According to the bible the three kings arrived in Bethlehem 12 days after the birth of Christ and gave their gifts of golf, frankinsense and myrrh then. The Spanish holiday the The Three Kings is to celebrate the arrival of the kings and is why the Soanish tend to give their gifts then, like the Kings did. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 am

Campo Steve wrote:gave their gifts of golf, frankinsense and myrrh
so they are to blame for all the golf courses???????? :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Sandramay

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:44 am

Well spotted Sandramay.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:50 am

:wave:
Sandramay

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 am

By default I found an answer to my own question.
Arrived at Malaga to discover I had left my only credit card where it had being previously used (I think now cancelled)
Well it was a normal work day so everything was ok as I was going inland and needed public transport.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Alford
Avoiding the subject of GOLF -
As has been said, the Spanish kids get their main presents on the Magical Kings's day (Los Reyes Magos) as that is when Jesus got his presents - the reason why so many people have the 5th off work, and certainly want to finish early if they are working, is because that is when "the Kings" and their retinues, arrive in every village, town and city, in Spain in processions (cabalgatas ... cavalcades in English) with huge floats, marching bands (some more tuneful than others), and all the folk in the cavalcade and on the floats toss toffees (caramelos) into the crowds for the kids (and the not so young too!) to collect - upside down umbrellas have been known to come in handy for that :D . When the fun is over and the children have all gone before the three kings in the townhall square for judgement as to whether they have been good enough :angel: to qualify for a present from the Kings' hands, or a bag of coal :thumbdown: for being naughty ... everyone troops off home and the children get their presents at home. The 6th is a day off to be spent with the family and of course for those inclined, to go to church as it is one of the major feast days - we call it the Epiphany in the UK- and then they have to recover from the festivities of the night before! :thumbup:

kelly_G
Tourist

Postby kelly_G » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I never knew Golf was a gift..... but its good to know.....