tuna

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

tuna

Postby wollie » Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 am

I will be coming over next week and wonder if anyone can offer me any advise.
I am visiting costa de la lux for a few nights, I am wondering if anyone knows of an active fishing port in the region. We am staying in Conil, I do know that there is a tuna festival in Zahara but I think that is just over, also I believe the fish in this area are landed in Beabata but not sure about this.

thanks.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: tuna

Postby Floriana » Thu May 14, 2015 6:13 pm

There is a fishing port in Conil. Have a look at this site: http://www.winterwaves.com/tuna-fishing ... almadraba/ for more info.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Mon May 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Barbate de Franco has a Tuna fishing port and an exhibition. One of the main centres.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu May 21, 2015 11:59 am

You wont see a lot of the tuna since most of it is sent to the factory ship moored in Barbate.
If you book to go to the Tuna Museum (Just just as you enter Barbate) they will arrange for the tour to be in English for you.
They also have the details of the Sea tours out to the Tuna Nets, and If your lucky (or otherwise) you may see the actual harvesting of the Tuna .... A very Barbaric experience.

Barbate is the main Tuna experience town

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 am

I have seen the way they kill Tuna on film. Looks horrendous. Hence I no longer eat Tuna and the nets kill all sorts of other fish including Dolphins and other sea mammals :thumbdown:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 31, 2015 10:54 am

A useful article if you want to see how barbaric the killing of Tuna is and see the other mammals which are also killed along with the Tuna http://www.animalequality.net/node/710 :(
Last edited by patricia on Sun May 31, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 31, 2015 12:01 pm

patricia wrote:I have seen the way they kill Tuna on film. Looks horrendous. Hence I no longer eat Tuna and the nets kill all sorts of other fish including Dolphins and other sea mammals :thumbdown:
Luckily the barbaric killing of tuna in the "Mattanza" is pretty rare now. The only place in the Med that still does it this way is in Sardinia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

In Brittany they still use long line fishing, but sadly the dreaded Purse Seine net is used in most places.

Swordfish are still caught in the traditional way in Italy by chasing them in fast boats and harpooning them.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 31, 2015 12:12 pm

Those nets kill all sorts of other sea mammals, they should be banned. We will have no animals left in the sea soon and many face extinction. There would be such a fuss if humans were killed to such an extent whilst catching and trapping other animals for meat. :thumbdown: Go vegan is the answer :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 31, 2015 1:00 pm

patricia wrote:I have seen the way they kill Tuna on film. Looks horrendous. Hence I no longer eat Tuna and the nets kill all sorts of other fish including Dolphins and other sea mammals :thumbdown:
I was going to mention it but I like a quiet life :think:

There aren't many fish left in the Med now.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Me too, but if no one speaks up for the voiceless how can they be helped at all :(