Flying out of Gibraltar Duty free allowance..

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pilgrim2
Resident

Flying out of Gibraltar Duty free allowance..

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:03 pm

I know there is a restriction on how many cigarettes you can bring into Spain from Gibraltar but what about when flying from Gib airport to UK?
For personal use only of course!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flying out of Gibraltar Duty free allowance..

Postby katy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:35 pm

1 x 200 carton only.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks Katy

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 am

Gibraltar tax free rules are the same as all tax/vat free zones for cigs, booze and jewellery etc.

oblong113

Postby oblong113 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:39 am

Sorry to hijack the original post but I have a related question about duty free cigs but the other way round.
If I went into Gib from Spain with my Wife and 2 sons (over 18) and we each bought a 200 carton of cigs duty free and then I returned back into Spain to leave from Malaga back to the UK a few days later on my own, am I allowed to take the 4 cartons of cigs i.e. 800, without having to pay duty or would the 200 limit still apply?

Oblong.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 am

Since they were legally imported into the EU I can see no reason why you should have a problem.

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:52 am

There's 4 of you with 200 each,can't see the problem with that.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 pm

oblong113 wrote:Sorry to hijack the original post but I have a related question about duty free cigs but the other way round.
If I went into Gib from Spain with my Wife and 2 sons (over 18) and we each bought a 200 carton of cigs duty free and then I returned back into Spain to leave from Malaga back to the UK a few days later on my own, am I allowed to take the 4 cartons of cigs i.e. 800, without having to pay duty or would the 200 limit still apply?

Oblong.
As you are travelling on your own, I would think the individual allowance would apply.
Gerry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:07 pm

If you are travelling wIthin the EU then there is no limit if they are for personal use. The fact that there was a different limit when you entered Spain from Gib is now irrelevant.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:38 am

If they are tax paid in Spain you are ok but I would still expect questions to be asked at the Gib Spanish boarder by the Gaudia Civil. They may still take them off you just to be ars++.
No love lost on the boarder.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:51 am

He's flying to the UK from Malaga so no problem.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:09 am

Just read the post again, 4 people travel to Gib and buy 200 cigs each then go over boarder into Spain. 1 person leaves Malaga for the UK with the 800 Gib fags. Not allowed i am sure. How do you prove on arrival in the UK to customs if asked that your wife and sons purchased these and you are only carrying them.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 am

I just re read it like costakid....I had mistakenly assumed all four were travelling back together.
There's no way you can take up other people's allowance,you're limited to your own.
If you were stopped customs would see that tax wasn't paid in EU and you'd have to pay the duty or have them confiscated.
Upside is that you're unlikely to be stopped by customs.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:45 am

There is no official limit on the number of cigarettes you can bring into the UK from the EU, although guidance is that 800 is never a problem - after that you may have to prove they are for your own use etc.

The other rule is that they must have any applicable duty or tax paid in the country you are bringing them from. In this case they were legally imported into Spain from Gib and any duty and taxes due were paid. In this case, as they were imported under the duty free allowance, then no tax was due, I would argue that they meet that criterion.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:13 am

Only one carton bought in Gibraltar can be brought into the UK irrespective of how many other EU countries you have been in afterwards.I know one expat who was convicted.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:20 am

Of course, there is a very simple solution to the problem - give up smoking!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:33 am

I have :thumbup:

The person we knew who was convicted didn't smoke. Every time anyone went to Gib he asked them to bring him a carton. He stashed them and sold them when visiting the UK. Said it paid his travel costs....it did until he was caught. :lol:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:48 am

My wife was stopped at Birmingham airport with a small case full of Gib imported cigarettes. (We have a smoker in the family back in the UK). They were confiscated on the basis that we couldn't provide receipts of purchase from Gibraltar and therefore they might have been illegal imports. (!) I) know, I know, it ain't fair.
Back here, I objected most strongly by letter, appealed, found some receipts, appealed again against a ruling that didn't really understand the situation here and in the end gave up as I would have then had to go to court....and I couldn't be **sed.
So, if you're going to do it, make sure you've got receipts and they're for personal consumption (not sure about gifts for family).
nil illegitimum carborundum

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Going slightly off topic, but i didn't want to start a new topic just for the sake of one quick Gibraltar related question.

Going to Gib for the day in a couple of weeks time (we fly next Friday), i am told that it is quicker to park in La Linea and walk over the boarder and get the bus in to town.

Haven't been for 10yrs and queued for over an hour to drive in to Gib, our lad was only 7 months old at the time and we needed all the associated stuff with a baby. Now he's 11 we are happy to park in La Linea.

Assuming the Spanish still have their toys out of the pram and queues are still as long........

How close is the car park to the border & how much is the parking please?

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:22 pm

There's plenty of parking in blue-painted bays along the road that fronts the sea/border. Avoid Wednesdays when the market takes up some of that parking. From memory. a euro will buy you something like 2 hours? and there are ticket machines every 100 meters or so. The border is set back about 50 meters from that road, so that's 50 meters plus however near/far away you find a slot.
nil illegitimum carborundum