Travel Insurance - pre-existing conditions

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Travel Insurance - pre-existing conditions

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Just been browsing Martin Lewis's Money saving expert site, and come across an article on Travel Insurance. There is what looks like a particularly helpful section on getting insurance for those with pre-exisiting medical conditions :
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura ... content=27

and one i hadn't come across before :
http://www.ehicplus.com/

Unfortunately I think all of them are for UK residents only, but I know that not everyon on here is Spanish resident, so maybe useful to someone :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Travel Insurance - pre-existing conditions

Postby kerbut » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:26 am

Interesting reading , I have renewed my annual cover this week with Staysure ,68 next birthday ,with very mild COPD (no medicine or oxygen and able to walk 4miles +perday ) for £70.43 pa.
kerbut

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 am

Free spirit insurance covers any age and includes pre-existing conditions.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:42 am

It is useful but I thought it was a bit over positive knowing a lot of stories from other people. The one mentioned who was over 70 and had breast cancer appeared to get worldwide for a reasonable sum but people I know who have had cancer find it impossible to get cover unless it is in the thousands. If just travelling to Europe it is cheaper because the T&Cs state you must have the EHIC card.

My cousin and her husband paid £600 for 2 week cover to Goa last year. No health problems but he is over 70 and had a heart bypass 12 years ago! They did shop around too. People who have had a new hip/knee are charged extra :?

I have been looking to renew. All have a few standard questions on starting the quote process such as have you visited a Doctor in the past twelve months and are you taking prescribed tablets. Another is have you attended outpatients for investigative procedures. If you are awaiting a diagnosis, forget it.

Then there are all the horror stories when people try to claim. An expert on TV said that if you do not declare everything then the whole policy is null and void. Eg. One man did not declare arthritis and when he was taken ill with a lung infection the insurance co. Refused to pay, even though the illness was not related. Another who declared asthma had to have a stay in hospital was refused pay out because she only declared two inhalers she used and over the last few months had used a third brand :crazy: then there is the small print about alcohol. When we go out for dinner we share a bottle of wine. If one of us were to trip on an uneven pavement and crack our skull, forget the insurance, they won't pay. :evil:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:47 am

Mowser wrote:Free spirit insurance covers any age and includes pre-existing conditions.
Most say that but at what price :think:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 am

Got a quote for annual cover for someone who is 91 with HBP. £240. Maximum stay in one trip is 30 days. For a hundred or so more, maximum is 45 days.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:51 am

Is that worldwide?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Have just run through a quote for us as have just insured through aviva but allowed 14 days to change my mind. Identically same benefits and they ask the same questions re. Have you seen a consultant this year etc. we paid £148 with Aviva for 3 weeks, includes pre existing conditions. This is for 3 weeks USA and a cruise. Free spirit quoted £345 :shock: or for a bargain just over £1000 for a year :eh:

Thing is neither of us are ill, I have hiatus hernia for which I take just one omeprazole per day and have no symptoms. I also have a heart murmur, no treatment required, not even check ups. GPs are under so much pressure these days to send everyone for tests I doubt there are many over 55 who haven't had one in the last year. Everyone I know seems to to have had an endoscopy :roll:

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:42 pm

To get travel cover with Aviva you must have been resident in UK for at least six months , be registered with UK GP and be liable to pay tax in UK ,, the quote I received was very competative but if you are a UK resident there are so many options, all the banks offer a very good policy, dont take a chance with pre existing as I know someone who had to be air lifted from a cruise ship and received a bill for over £20,000 plus medical treatment, his cover was void as he had not declared mild High Blood Pressure and had suffered a Heart Attack.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Katy. The link I posted was the only one I could find that would cover someone who'll be 92 next month with a pre-existing condition.
Price seemed OK considering I could find nothing else.
Dave