bus stops

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
morlandg
Resident

bus stops

Postby morlandg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:51 pm

How can I find out where the bus stops are in Velez Malaga and Torre del Mar? I cannot find the answers using Google. I know both the estaciones but need to know the intermediary bus stops.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: bus stops

Postby gavilan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:36 pm

there is one stop on the right almost at the top of the one-way road which goes up from the main post office in Vlz ... I dont think the bus stop sign is obvious but I often see people waiting there ... ?so maybe walk back along the route and keep an eye open for people waiting?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:05 pm

For the urbano buses which go between Velez-Malaga and Torre del Mar, Lines 1, 2, 3 and 4, the stops in Velez en route to Torre del Mar are towards the top of Calle del Rio as Gavilan describes, then there is one past Mercadona but on the opposite site of the road on Camino Viejo de Malaga, then the next one is opposite the new indoor market, next to where the tram stop used to be. There is another one about half way down Av. Vivar Tellez and one just next to the roundabout at the start of Av. Juan Carlos.

On the route from Torre del Mar to Velez-Malaga there is a stop just opposite the library on Av. Vivar Tellez and one outside the Ayuntamiento in Plaza de Las Carmelitas. Line 4 from Torre to Velez doesn't come into the centre of Velez, it serves the Casco Historico and you can get off outside the La Gloria School, at the end of Calle Lope de Vega and in the Plaza de la Constitución.

There are posters up at most of the bus stops showing the times and routes.

The Alsa buses going to Malaga, Nerja or Torrox don't use all those stops. They don't come up Calle del Rio so you are best getting on those either at the Estación or at the stop opposite the indoor market. On the way into Velez you can get off at the ones on Av Juan Carlos, Av Vivar Tellez and the indoor market, and in Plaza de las Carmelitas but not the one opposite the library.

And just in case you weren't aware, you can't catch an Alsa bus to go to Torre del Mar, even though the bus goes through there and stops at the bus station! It's not allowed as the local Travelsa bus company has the monopoly on urbano services. Years ago they used to turn a blind eye and just sell you a ticket to Valle Niza which was the same price, but once the tranvia started running (and even after it stopped) the rule has been strictly enforced and even applies late in the evening after the urbano buses have stopped running.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks G and FAL for the comprehensive review. I think perhaps the most important tip for us (apart from Alsa not stopping at TDM) is to look at the timetable at one of the bus stops.
Graham

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 pm

By the way, the urbano buses charge a flat fare of €1.30 whether you travel for just one stop or the full length of the journey from Velez to Torre. If you have a Seiscentaycinco card (for anyone aged 65 or over) the fare is reduced to €0.60.

If you don't qualify for an over 65 card, you can obtain a Bono 10 card which gives you 10 journeys for €10.40, or €1.04 per journey. It can be used to pay for more than one person, if a couple is travelling together, for instance. The initial card costs about €3 more to cover the cost of the card, but after that you just pay the driver on the bus to recharge it. Each recharge lasts for 30 days, can be worth getting one if you make regular journeys.