DSLR camera and travel in Andalucia

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
alaskadiver
Tourist

DSLR camera and travel in Andalucia

Postby alaskadiver » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Hello!

I'm headed to Spain next May. I keep reading about the pickpocket problem and muggings. I plan to bring my DSLR camera and I was thinking about carrying it in a cross-body purse when not actively using it. Normally I just put it on a cross-body sling strap and have it out. But apparently if I try this in Spain I will be inviting muggers. How true are these stories? Should I stick with my plan to carry it in my bag or is it safe to carry it on a strap?
I'm going to Madrid for a couple days and then by train to Sevilla for a few days. Driving to Nerja and staying there for a few and then driving to Granada for another 3 days. Dropping off the car there. Then Granada to Cordoba by bus for the last few days and then by train back to Madrid for the last night.

Thanks!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: DSLR camera and travel in Andalucia

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm

unless your walking around a very dodgy area late at night you will be fine with it on a strap. Don’t fall asleep on the bus with it on the seat and keep out of the red light district and you should be fine.Pick pockets are that and not muggers.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 pm

All tourist cities seem to have hotspots for clever thieves. We experienced it in Granada at the xmas market. Handbag unzipped and purse removed and handbag zipped up again.

My advice would be have insurance, copies of anything important , hang onto your camera and avoid close up contact with unknowns Rosemary sellers etc. Do travel but be vigilant.

WomBatt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby WomBatt » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:06 am

To repeat mentioned above - muggers are muggers and extremely rarely do muggings happen in Spain compared to the U.S. and other parts of the western world. Pickpockets are a different animal.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19 am

As a woman, I always get very nervous with a handbag. Normally when in a crowded place I sling it across my shoulders under a jacket, making it difficult to get at. Just be aware.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:21 pm

I saw some "laydeeMan" bags in Torre Market recently :thumbup: George has one :D

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:33 pm

First Tango, not a laughing matter.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Man bags ? Why not a laughing matter ?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:21 pm

I didn't think firsttango was trying to be funny.
I use a manbag when in spain because I don't want to be dipped by some Romanian scrote.
To my mind he was suggesting the lady equivalent of a manbag which to my mind is very sensible.

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Back in May I had my Canon neck strapped and when not in use in a knap sack carried to the front in Barcelona for a week with no worries.
To my mind those smart phones on selfie sticks are more of an option for the opportunist thief!

alaskadiver
Tourist

Postby alaskadiver » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 am

Thank you all!