Rental.Where to advertise?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
SlimTim
Tourist

Rental.Where to advertise?

Postby SlimTim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:35 am

Can anyone please recommend a website on which to advertise my holiday home in Torrox Pueblo for rental please.
The obvious choice WAS Owners Direct but a company takeover has left a host of negative reviews and bad press.
Any suggestions and cost would be gratefully appreciated .Thank you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rental.Where to advertise?

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Are you aware of the new rules that were introduced for Landlords? Big fines for illegal renting now and as its a cash cow I would think it will be enforced.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Both Owners Direct and Holidaylettings websites are now swallowed up by Homeaway.com and Tripadvisor respectively. They seem to have realised that they were missing a trick by not charging commission on bookings so now they offer "free" advertising ( ie no upfront annual fee) but add an exorbitant commission to the renter and a smaller fee to the property owner.
As well as the cost hike to the renter, it makes for a very complex booking procedure for both parties as both websites " hide" the renter's contact details until they have actually made the reservation and paid a large deposit. They then release the contact details to all parties. If the property owner tries to include any contact details in the dialogue through the website, the message is intercepted and the contact details removed.
Negotiations on price etc involve editing the quotes generated automatically by the websites and are made more difficult because it is unclear ( deliberately?!) how much commission they are going to charge. I have now started quoting my price " plus website commission" on my messages and then, if I receive a positive response, I work out a an edited quote on a trial and error basis until it works out correctly.
Altogether a most unsatisfactory development.
I would love to find a Company with a website using the original advertising system but I have yet to discover one which has the traffic to generate enquiries.
Any ideas anyone?

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Stevemul wrote:
Altogether a most unsatisfactory development.
....and I agree wholeheartedly with all the sentiments they've highlighted as I've gone/am going through all this at the moment. Having said this, I still get a significant response from Owners Direct (and I have avoided all requests to channel payments via them) . The more i deal with Holiday Lettings/Trip advisor, the more frustrated and annoyed I become!
nil illegitimum carborundum

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi there,

You don't need to look any further than Andalucia.com website where you can have links to your property on both the Torox and the inland rentals pages.

Prices are for the link with no commissions.
Fill in the form here if you are interested in more information on price and traffic.

http://www.andalucia.com/adv_details.htm

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:25 pm

You don't need to look any further than Andalucia.com website
Blimey! they're all sounding the same now in their sales pitches :lolno: :lolno:
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm

However we had our best results - bar none - with Holiday lettings. Just saying as we are out, sold it :clap: :clap:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Hay Guys/Gals.........support The Sponsor........... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

SlimTim
Tourist

Postby SlimTim » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Many thanks to all your responses.Much appreciaited

wisden
Tourist

Postby wisden » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:04 pm

I am in total agreement with the critics of OD, Holiday Lettings & Holiday Rentals (as they were known). These companies are difficult to work with and are totally impersonal, which defeats the whole personal approach that many private rental providers try to achieve.
I have been giving this a great deal of thought and after the completion of my current contract with these companies I will be dealing solely with 'Spain-Holiday.com'. There prices are more realistic and all contact with the renter is done directly through the property owner.

I have been using them for some years, they offer the traditional service that we have enjoyed in the past with OD and HA and they have always been very helpful and attentive, maybe they don't provide as many enquiries, but the enquiries received are better.

It needs more owners to advertise with Spain-Holiday.com
so that they can get better search rankings - all it is is a money game.

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:39 pm

I use the Spanish website, Rentalia.com. They have a section for advertising in other languages, including English. They charge an annual fee, but their service is very good. They also have (in Spanish) and owners' forum, where they give advice rental issues and news, such as the tax laws in various regions.
http://www.rentalia.com/

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 am

Has anyone tried Airbnb? I was looking for a month long summer rental yesterday and they had a better selection than some of the traditional sites, although I suppose you don't really know who you are dealing with.

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, I also use Airbnb. Their website is easy to use, but, when setting your price, bear in mind that they deduct a commission from your set price, and they charge a commission to the customer.

NeilS
Tourist

Postby NeilS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 pm

We've used homeaway for some time and not had any problem - you just advertise (an annual fee only) and deal direct, no commission etc. Avoid all the pressure to use their "services" and it's fine......
But also do note the earlier warning about the new laws on renting property in Andalucia. We've withdrawn from the rental market altogether because the new laws are just too restrictive and unfair.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 pm

I have used Airbnb and Spain-holiday to rent accommodation, both good mixture of choices