EHIC cards expiring between now and Brexit

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

EHIC cards expiring between now and Brexit

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 am

This little article may be important:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 35086.html

My card expires in 2020. In any event perhaps we should look at the expiry date of our cards and get them renewed, if we can, or take out comprehensive insurance every time we go on holiday, including to the UK? I always do that anyway — just because I always do.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: EHIC cards expiring between now and Brexit

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:07 am

I'm surprised to see that they do not have to be renewed every two years like in Spain.
This is one of the agreements we are hoping to be renegotiated. Let's see.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 am

Will they allow you to renew before time. They must be expecting an influx of cards to be renewed which dont need to be.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:28 am

Why would you want to "renew" your card early.........if its valid for your "holiday" period.

As for the long term.....please remember we are still in the EU..............until we actually say goodbye and close the door.

Unless you're a Government Negotiator , the rest of us have no say , so get on with the challenges that you can change, enjoy your day , for tomorrow might not be yours................. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 am

Exactly Enrique, I just can't grasp why people cannot understand that nothing at all is going to change for 2 years at the very earliest. (If ever imo). These Knee jerk reactions just spread "misinformation" and just make people worry totally uneccasarily

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Well, I agree that nothing will change for two years from the date that Article 50 is 'triggered'. However, my understanding is that two years is the MAXIMUM period in which to start and finish all the negotiating. It may be done and dusted in fewer. Posting a link to a very obvious thing like the expiry date on your EHIC is not misinformation. It is information. Make use of it as you will and as appropriate to you. It may concern travellers to and from Spain and that's why I posted in this topic and not in General or the Amigos Lounge. It was meant to be helpful — you know, like wot we Gurus are supposed to be on here.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Lavanda,
No one was say it was not a helpful reminder............... :thumbup:

"I'm going on holiday , check my Passport is valid for holiday date, EHIC valid too, Driving license........ OK ...now book Holiday."

It just so happens a lot of Folk's EHICs run out this Year............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm

They should never have mentioned Brexit in the article, as it is completely irrelevant.

The point they are actually making is that over 7 million cards expire this year, a considerable increase from previous years. Of that 7 million, a very significant number will not check the expiry date and end up with an expensive foreign medical bill.

It's rather like the situation that occurred when the first batch of photo driving licences expired - lots of fines there!

As Enrique said, it should be a normal thing to check as part of preparations for a trip.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 am

Bumping an old thread. New update re EHICS after brexit. They will continue to be valid and on expiry uk residents will get a GHIC

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... e-44850972

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:51 pm

I must admit I'm a little puzzled by the lack of coverage of this particular issue in the UK media. For some older travelers or anyone with pre-exisintg medical conditions, the loss of the EHIC could be a serious blow. And the fact that "an estimated 3.7 million EU nationals...making up 5.6% of the UK population" will continue to be entitled to a UK issued EHIC whilst British citizens won't, must surely stick in the craw for Brexit supporters? The foriners will literally have more rights than the natives.
Thanks for posting this though Elusive, this is the first I've heard about the GHIC; let's hope it's formerly announced as soon as, and replicates everything the EHIC offered and more.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:40 pm

It is rather odd seeing this as even upto a few days before the deal the gov was still saying EHICS would be non existent for the majority and at the last min they had agreed a deal for those with ongoing treatment to keep using them.. on a personal note i was glad that they were going as it would have stopped all the illegals from using them as "tourists" while living in spain. But it wouldnt have been good for real tourists and even more so for those with pre existing conditions. I guess time will tell if it gets reported on more. I'd expect comments from simon calder etc

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Received our new EHICs the other day, having registered with UK govt for them, as S1-holding pensioners resident in Spain.
Of course these are not needed for the UK, but does give us cover in the whole of Europe except Spain. on the same terms as the residents of that country.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Help needed please.

1) My friend who is a Spanish Non-Resident & who has a home in Scotland applied for a replacement EHIC card before Christmas. It has not been received at her UK address yet. How does she query non-receipt or is it too early yet to enquire.
What website gives the details to follow up on this application.

2) Will she be able to use this Card in Spain in 2021.

3) Does she have to apply or a GHIC card at some time in the future.

Many Thanks

David

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:23 pm

I would go to the same webpage she applied for it from. Or search on gov.uk for a t.phone number.theres been a backlog due to O.A.Ps in spain applying

Yes she can use it in spain.

When her new one comes she uses that until it expires then you apply for the GHIC

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Taken from confirmation of my application:-
"If you have not received your new EHIC by 31 December 2020, you can contact us on +44 (0)191 218 1999 and speak to Overseas Healthcare Services for further advice."
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I will tell my friend not to worry and put her mind at rest. We can not seem to find the original link where she applied for this card. Do you think that this link has been taken down because it is 2021 already

Thank You

David