Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

It can be swings and roundabouts, we have used around 7-8 different carhire companies & the best so far for all round service including quality of cars has been a company called "Ok"..not the cheapest we have had but i guess you get what you pay for..Used to like malagacar until we were pulled over by the police because the ITV on the car had expired by a month...My son drove the car back to the airport which was a 2hr journey & they wouldn't exchange the car..Never ever will we hire from them again..

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Must be a small company. Just tried to get a quote for 28/5/19 to 16/6/19 and got this message
"There is no available cars for this location, dates or times
Please change date-time or location and try again. We remind you that in certain locations rentals of more than one month are not allowed, but you can always make a shorter reservation and request an extension." :crazy:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm

You might be right about it being a small company, i didn't hire with them out of Malaga airport but i know they do have carhire available from there...however it seems you have been unsuccessful so i probably should have mentioned that we hired with them out of Granada airport where there are few carhire companies operating. Still, should anyone flying into Granada with intentions of arranging car hire then all i can say is you wouldn't go far wrong booking with them, the car we got was a brand spanking new Megane and we were driving out of the airport 15mins after picking up our luggage. :thumbup:

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:01 pm

just got back from using RecordGo for the umpteenth time. again no problems. friends went with OKrental off airport and they were also happy with their experience... maybe things are improving generally

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:11 am

ashtondav wrote:Well this should be a screaming laugh and a half!

I’ve just booked a 7 day hire with interrent through doyouspain at €1.69 FOR THE WEEK!!! You really can’t believe these idiots, can you.

Can’t wait to tell ‘em I’ve got excess insurance, but I bet they don’t let me have a car unless I take their insurance.

What an argument it will be as I will certainly ask for the complaints book. Watch this space, i’ll Report back end March....
Oh no I thought as I approached the desk. Interrent is nothing more than another brand of the dreaded, horrendous GOLDCAR, subject of many a Daily Mail Sunday Times article. The ultimate poisoned brand.

Loud gulping sounds and elevated blood pressure as I approach the agent. But no she was very pleasant, just a slight twinge of the mouth when I declined insurance. The walk from desk to car was a bit of a trek down stairs and the other end of the terminal, but hey ho.

When eventually we reached it, it was a nice, powerful Astra actually able to accelerate up hills. All mod cons including an amber illumination in the door mirror when an overtaking car was in the blind spot. It also had WiFi and sat nav and a warning chime if you got too close to the car in front - and I’d only ordered a basic pocket rocket model.

It had loads of scratches so I was prepared for a full on scratch argument and a €600 claim on insurance4carhire, at drop off. BUT NO! Efficient polite staff briefly inspected the car and the fuel level (full/full) refunded the €90 fuel charge, and wished us a happy journey. TOP MARKS GOLDCAR!

The only cost, in addition to the €1.69, was an additional driver for €67, because I belatedly realised the wife would need the car for one day. I don’t begrudge them that, although a taxi would have been cheaper for that one day!

So well done Goldcar for turning a corner in customer service. Now on my recommended list along with Helle Hollis and Centauro. I’ll have to try Firefly next and see if they’ve had lessons in service....

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm

thanks for the report back ashtondav. interesting and reassuring stuff. I've been loyal to recordGo lately as I've had no major problems and their drop off is dead easy but their pick up is becoming a bit protracted

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Hmmmm, I would imagine the queue for goldcar/interrent would get quite long in busy times. Our pick up was a quiet afternoon on March 20th and we took a numbered ticket and waited our turn, about 20 minutes for us, but as i say it was a very quiet day.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Just completed a successful car hire with OK rent a car from Granada airport, no problems whatsoever..Booked a compact car and we got a Peugeot 2008 with 10 kms on the clock, best we have had in 6 yrs of hiring cars.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun May 05, 2019 11:32 am

I picked up a car from Malagacar.com 17th. April. I go for the cheapest option as I have a seperate policy. Their fuel policy used to be collect half full (and pay for it), return empty. Now you return the car with the amount that was in on collection. I can see for and against. For - not paying their higher fuel prices, if hiring car for short period not paying for fuel not used. Against - the possibility of having to stop in the middle of the night to put some fuel in. I had a brand new Panda and was told it was quarter full which, as it turns out, it was. Lovely car but the instrument panel is awful and I wasn't sure which was the fuel gauge!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Which magazine have just done their annual survey. Goldcar bottom on a basket of criteria. Five times out of the last six years apparently.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu May 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Yes I read that, Olive. I can only say that when I used them in March they were charming, no problems and the car cost €1.80 for the week.

Maybe the new guy has been giving customer service lessons - at least in Malaga airport!