Ryanair luggage change

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ashtondav
Resident

Ryanair luggage change

Postby ashtondav » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am

Thank goodness. Sick and tired of seeing people drag oversized cases on board when there clearly isn't room. Also good to see checked baggage prices reduce and weight increased.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ryanair-b ... fee-2017-9

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair luggage change

Postby Miro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 am

Just surprised it took them so long to realise they'd cocked up. O'Leary did say they'd become victims of their own niceness. They should stick to being horrible. :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm

As long as they police the new system. Presumably if you pay to have your hand luggage in the cabin their 2 bag rule still exists, so you can take a handbag/laptop bag plus cabin bag.

That's what I hate about Easyjet is that I've been told to squish my handbag into my case but then they allow an additional duty free bag which is sometimes huge. Either allow one additional small bag or don't, rather than this two tier system of allowing some but not others! Our cabin bags are the prescribed size but other people's look huge in comparison sometimes.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Well said costakid.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Gone are the days when airline tickets for each passenger included their luggage yet people can still travel by Train or Bus and not be charged for luggage, i guess in time that might change too.
IMO the airlines have no one but themselves to blame, the cost of my daughters 15kg bag with Ryanair last week was £35 each way which simply encourages some people to ram what they can into a carry on bag.If airlines were not so greedy then more people would book their bags into the hold. All Ryanair had to do was change their rules and allow only one bag to be carried onto the plane if they thought they had a serious problem and that would be the end of it...instead they have narrowed it down to those who have paid for extras like priority boarding to carry on 2 bags..just another ploy to get people to spend more money!! nothing to do with the problem of overhead lockers bursting at the seams or the number of bags under seats.. Money will always come first..

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

truebrit.

Don't take it too personally, only a gibe.

Pamela1.

Agree to a point with you, but it's just that today some businesses operate differently to older businesses. So Ryanair charge very little for a 'seat only' trip from A to B. But so called 'legacy' airlines like BA, Air France charge you a lot more for each sector, but allow you 'free' baggage, food, drinks etc. Ryanair adopted much more modern methods (as trialled successfully by Southern in the USA) and in fairness to them (Ryanair, easyJet, Jet2, Norwegian etc etc) they have made an enormous success of it.
At the end of the day you pay for what you get - whether you are a Lufthansa or a BA passenger. If you don't like Ryanair (or other loco's) don't buy a ticket off them. Simple.

Personally, I think Ryanair have made a great job of it and have helped to bring airline travel to a greater public and not just the privileged few. As was the case only a few years ago.

By the way, I do not work for Ryanair!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 pm

What puzzles me is that there was never enough space for everyone anyway in the overhead lockers, so it was usually the first 150 bags that were allowed , after that hand luggage was put in the hold for free.
Therefore if you were early in the queue your bag was in the locker.
This was before you were allowed an extra small bag

Now they are saying if you pay for priority boarding you will be allowed your 2 bags,what happens if over 150 people pay, they can't conjure up more lockers?

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Costakid could you remove the quote please

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 pm

costakid wrote:
truebrit wrote:Wicksey, travelling with Easyjet I always take an empty duty free bag with me for all those things that I want onboard. They never query it, just pop handbag in it!
They will now you have announced it to half of Andalucia.
Fingers crossed they aren't all travelling on the same Easyjet flight :D
I So Bella tis you

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Could you please remove quote. Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Cid has done it already. He never even asked my permission.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

What puzzles me is that this system is allegedly to reduce delays by people bringing wheelies onto the plane but the article states that the wheelies will be collected 'at the gate'. That can't be right surely? They must mean on the tarmac otherwise staff would be required to hump all the wheelies to the aircraft causing more delays. Anyway, applying a baggage tag and receipt to all these wheelies either at the gate or on the tarmac is going to take time. I shall view this new system with interest!
Brian.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:38 pm

To me this is seems a very clever move. The cabin bag size was/is 55x30x20, there is no stated size for what is now said small bag which is the additional bag if we were flying today. Personally i will work with whatever there but prefer clarity on bag size/weight.
Airlines usually do not usually make changes that cost 50m annually in revenue, some people will opt for priority and some will take advantage of the cheap hold baggage creating more revenue, i doubt if Ryanair will go broke...

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:22 am

wollie wrote:The cabin bag size was/is 55x30x20, there is no stated size for what is now said small bag which is the additional bag if we were flying today.
This was in El Pais:
... a larger item is limited to dimensions of 55cm by 40cm by 20cm. The smaller item comes in at 35cm by 20cm by 20cm.
Brian.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for that, on the basis of the said info it seems the cabin bag will be the smaller one.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:35 am

Alcala Barry wrote: So Ryanair charge very little for a 'seat only' trip from A to B. But so called 'legacy' airlines like BA, Air France charge you a lot more for each sector, but allow you 'free' baggage, food, drinks etc.
At the end of the day you pay for what you get - whether you are a Lufthansa or a BA passenger. If you don't like Ryanair (or other loco's) don't buy a ticket off them. Simple.
Short haul flights with BA do not include hold luggage or free food. Their basic fair, which isn't cheap, only includes a cabin bag and a seat will be randomly allocated unless you want to pay for a specific one. Economy Plus give you a hold luggage allowance. You also have to and pay for food and drinks if you want them, so no different to Ryanair or Easyjet, apart from being more expensive. I also read a few months back that BA will be fitting an extra row of seats into their short haul planes, giving less legroom than Ryanair when it's been done.

My last trip to the UK on Ryanair was in new planes with a different style of overhead lockers and 'mood lighting' in pink and blue, and at 30€ each way (plus I splashed out 6€ on an allocated seat) I'm not complaining (plus the flights were on time, which is the most important thing for me).

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am

I have had flights on Ryanair for 9.99 euros but also paid 250 when i needed to get somewhere quick. Ryanair have a great business model and I am not complaining. I don’t think they will lose 50mil a year. I acually think the priority queue is going to get a lot longer.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am

I agree with you Costakid it is a very solid business model, but also what the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet etc give the flying public is CHOICE. I remember the days when if you wanted to travel to Malaga (just using as an example...other destinations were available) you rang a "bucket shop" to see what the best prices were and when they could take you.....if you wanted to go on a monday and return on a wednesday....wow good luck...not happening unless you paid a massive premium. So to me having a huge CHOICE is a luxury. Anyone get a flight from Stanstead to Malaga for 9.99 in the 1980's or 90's ...thought not.
I So Bella tis you

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm

What I don't understand is why anyone needs more than a very small carry on bag, Book, reading glasses (if you need them) passport and travel documents etc, what else do you need for a short flight ??

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 pm

A lot of people like to carry their electronic items (& chargers) in case their luggage 'disappears' ;-); if you or someone who has a medical condition, their medication etc; if with children, toys snacks etc - to name but a few :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)