Where to next

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Where to next

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 am

Where would you go?.Soon we will be planning our next city visit..so far we have done Madrid,Barca,Seville,Cordoba,Cadiz.. we know both Malaga and Granada well...Where next is the question!..We like traditional and dont mind modern thrown in to the mix..Id like to go somewhere id want to go back to again!..Any ideas are most welcome..

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Where to next

Postby country boy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am

Jerez,. and the Tryp Hotel. Good for a couple or three days.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 am

Yeah jerez. Gorgeous place one of my favs.like a mini seville. You could drive around the coast stop at tarifa we did that when staying in cadiz and stayed overnight at vejer de la frontera before driving onto cadiz.vejer is beautiful aswell. also took a day trip to arcos de la frontera.Tbh theres not been many places we have visited that werent lovely

We have just been on a day trip to lucena and zuheros. Certainly worth a visit.zuheros was gorgeous.the countryside in inland andalucia cant be beaten imo. Could do with the weather picking up as ive got a long bucket list to get through this year! Cartagena, carmona and the towns around it.valencia, merida alicante city looks nice aswell

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Zuheros and it’s surrounds are certainly attractive.
We have visited and stayed at Hacienda Minerva close by - a beautifully restored mill with some eclectic decor features. The roof terrace is a great spot for a gin and tonic while you try to spot the eagles soaring.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Agree with Elusive although I prefer Puerto de la Santa Maria to Jerez, seems less touristy and the tour of the Osborne bodega is great, not to mention the free tastings at the end...if you are not driving.

Merida is good, Segovia too. I know this is A.com but it is sometimes good to get out of Andalucia and see differences in landscape and people.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Agree..it is good to get out of Andalucia now and again even if it does make me appreciate Andalucia even more..i forgot to mention that ive been to Jerez...it was different and lovely although i didn't visit everywhere around the area...maybe another time!..Hubby has a hankering for Galicia and the north....Living way out in the countryside is putting me off....I don't know if id appreciate more hills/fields and stone buildings...Don't get me wrong..prefer scenic to roofs and more roofs but now and again they let me out for a change! :lol: ..Anyway thanks foe the feed back, good to read.. :thumbup:
Last edited by Pamela1 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Yeah we visited segovia and toledo when we went to madrid. Segovia i really liked and would visit again felt very french and the viaduct is something to see!. Only went to puerto santa m to get the boat over to cadiz. Never made it all the way around bar driving in the car when we got abit lost. Seemed quite run down

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Ps...daughter in Rome at moment..she said "lovely but they rip your eyes out! " oh dear i guess thats how it is in some cities!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Agree with Valencia, lovely city and you can get the tram to other villages

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Alicante. Very under estimated city. Small enough to do in a long weekend.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

If your husband would like to visit somewhere in Northern Spain, I would recommend San Sebastián (but only in the warmer months, we went in June and it was lovely then). It's the nicest city by the sea we have visited in Spain. Can easily be combined with a stay in Bilbao, which we did (flew to Bilbao from Málaga then took the bus, which only takes just over an hour, to San Sebastián).

Also agree with the recommendations for Valencia, it is a lovely city and very walkable to get around.

Ávila and Aranjuez, both close to Madrid, are also well worth visiting, although a couple of days in each would be plenty.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

One more vote for Jerez, especially the tour of Gonzalez Byass (including tapas and tasting!).
Chris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks all, Valencia sounds tempting as does San Sabastian...Think it will be San Sabastian for his 60th next year which im sure he will love now ive googled it..looks lovely..Valencia could be an Easter or Autumn break..Would also love to go to the inland places mentioned plus Toledo etc..All in good time!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

When you go to Valencia, don't miss the Fallas Museum - it's about the most enjoyable small museum I've ever visited. It's very close to the City of Arts and Sciences.

http://www.valenciavalencia.com/sights- ... museum.htm

The shops around the city which sell the traditional fallera costumes are stunning, too.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Bilbao and San Sebastian are great places to visit.
It could be combined with a visit slightly inland either to the Rioja region or Pamplona.
Bilbao has great food and is a pleasant city to roam around you can visit the Guggenheim museum.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 am

Extremadura is worth a trip and not too far out of Andalucia to easily drive it. We had a wonderful week there one April when the spring flowers were out and you can easily do all the 3 main cities Trujillo, Casares and Merida. Merida in particular has very good Roman ruins (having never been to Italy they were the best I've seen anywhere).

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 pm

The flowers are wonderful this Spring as well, Wicksey, after all the rain we have had since March. Anyone interested in the cities Wicksey has mentioned you can look here: http://www.walkingextremadura.com/city-walks.html Go to the top menu bar: The Walks, then City Walks, then the individual walks.

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 pm

Ronda .. 'the city of dreams'

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 am

There are certainly a great number of very interesting places to visit. We used to drive back to Santander and return every year taking our car back to UK. As Mark suggested San Sebastian is good for a visit.
His comments reminded me of my first visit many many years ago. My parents and I where on the promenade and Franco was passing in his big black Rolls Royce, in a motorcade, having got off his yacht which was moored in the bay. My father was filming Franco as he went passed. He was tapped on the shoulder by two men who preceded to take the movie camera from him, remove the film, and return the camera.That was my very first visit to Spain and it was a long time ago. Memories...........neither my parents, nor Franco are still around!