Travel Insurance

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Travel Insurance

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Just wondered if anyone can recommend travel insurance companies (presumably cover as an expat will require a different policy to one for a UK resident?)

Having lost a fair amount of money getting back home after the ATC strike in May, then almost missing my AVE train to Madrid after having a burst tyre, I feel I may be more relaxed for my upcoming trips if I was insured :think: .

However, I do not really trust insurance companies very much to actually pay out when needed, so a recommendation from anyone who has had their claim settled successfully would be useful. I see a company called Globelink has a lot of good reviews, but when you read them they are really just about the setting up procedure and not claiming from them. They do seem reasonably priced and cover everything.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby costakid » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:04 pm

That is the problem with insurance, you never know how good it is until its too late. We have travel insurance but don't know how good it is because we have never claimed. I did pay 26 years for house insurance in the uk and tried to have a small claim and was informed that the item wasn't covered. No customer service offer. Just I am sorry sir but thats not covered. I think insurance is a massive con.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Yes I agree Costakid although we've had good experience with trouble-free claims here with Liberty Seguros.

Trouble is I've booked to go on a cruise next year and travel insurance is obligatory. I thought that if I had to get it I could get a year's policy which often isn't much more than a short stay policy. I may be covered for any future disasters as I have a few trips away between now and the cruise.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:47 pm

You should always get travel insurance if travelling outside of spain. Cant say ive seen many advertised.theres globelink G.P.S and ive used essential who are a travel agent aswell. Think they are based in torre.are there any comparasion sites but then unless your spanish is top notch you need one who do it in english.not like the uk where you get a huge choice and cheap prices

Do any of the box standard normal insurers like linea etc do travel.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 pm

I haven't taken travel insurance for over 20 years! I suppose I could ask Liberty Seguros as their policies are in English.
Globelink are one that advertises that they deal with expats which is why I looked at them. Lineadirecta doesn't seem to do it, just vehicle and home.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Check out Which reviews. Travel Insurance companies having bad press just now due to 'pre-diagnosed conditions' ambiguity

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Ibex does do travel insurance at what I thought was a reasonable rate - we have not had to claim from them for that but their car cover was immediately reimbursed when we had a claim on that, and their house insurance is fairly comprehensive too - also advertise pet cover but we have not bothered with that.

With all these insurances, you need to know the exclusions inside out before you sign up - for instance, I believe that strike action is generally NOT covered and you have to claim direct from the company suffering the strike ... eg the airline company concerned. Ibex do insurance to cover the time you are abroad, and the travel involved etc, but I do not think they do a full year effort. They are based in Gibraltar but have offices now across the south of Spain and several in Portugal - all in English with English speaking staff available at all times, and backed up by Lloyds of London.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:51 pm

You wont be able to use the standard U.K Insurers as they only cover uk residents. Theres quite a few uk based expat companies if you google but i have no idea how decent they are. Ontop of been very careful about delcaring pre excisting. Some even say you have to be registared with a dr to be covered. No good if you have no healthcare due to inss discrimination. I asked abbeygate about this once they never replied!

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 am

www.staysure.co.uk

They will provide cover for non uk residents. We used them last December for a trip to New York, and cannot sing their praises loudly enough.

My wife was tripped up ( accidently ) in Times Square and broke her nose in the fall. Staysure's response was fantastic, one phone call and they gave me the address of a clinic and by the time we arrived the staff were expecting us and ready for us. Treatment was quick, effective and sympathetic and they even arranged a cab to get us back to the hotel afterwards.

Parilla

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 am

We use Globelink as they cover people with a wide range of medical conditions provided they are declared, with no loading on the premium.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks for your responses. I have come across Staysure and Globelink in my searches as they cover expats. I think it is Staysure that say you have to be registered with a Dr, which luckily I am. I see I would have to declare my high cholesterol ... I've never had insurance where I have had to do a health declaration before!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am

I would bet that buried in the small print on any insurance involving a person there will be a clause on the lines of “I declare that I have no existing health conditions...etc” that you sign on acceptance.
Failure to disclose is one of the main reasons for claims being turned down, meaning one has wasted the premium - bit like not declaring traffic offences on motor insurance. I am type2 diabetic with COPD, and years ago was hospitalised for a few days for checks on my heart - with Globelink I told them the lot, so am comfortable that they know my risk factor and have accepted it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 am

Parilla wrote:http://www.staysure.co.uk

They will provide cover for non uk residents. We used them last December for a trip to New York, and cannot sing their praises loudly enough.

My wife was tripped up ( accidently ) in Times Square and broke her nose in the fall. Staysure's response was fantastic, one phone call and they gave me the address of a clinic and by the time we arrived the staff were expecting us and ready for us. Treatment was quick, effective and sympathetic and they even arranged a cab to get us back to the hotel afterwards.

Parilla
Good to hear recommendations as all we usually hear are cases where companies haven't paid out. I saw one recently where a woman said her insurance wouldn't pay out because she hadn't declared she sometimes took sleeping pills. Perhaps some stories are one sided. Best to read all the small print. Last few years we have had yearly insurance from Aviva and I claimed in December after calling out a Doctor in Antigua, was a bank holiday there and the Doctor charged double plus high medication costs. The money was in my account within a few days after submitting the claim, they just asked for the bill to be scanned and copy of flight booking.
Some years ago I took out travel insurance with a Spanish company, was only later that I found out that a fitness to travel was needed from GP!
Most companies won't cover if you are on a hospital waiting list or awaiting diagnosis.

Peter, did they add anything to the basi premium?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am

“Peter, did they add anything to the basic premium?”
No.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 am

Staysure added 10GBP to the annual quote for my high cholesterol and hypothyroidism.

I am aware that they will try to get out of paying if they can. I think one of the questions is whether you have been tested for anything, but my regular blood tests check for all sorts of things, including the sugar levels, but I do not have any symptoms or any problems in that area, they are just routine tests.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Is there anyone who isnt on tabs for blood pressure of high choles... certainly in the uk you seem to get a prescription for them on your 50th birthday regardless :crazy: .of course they have to be declared but i wouldnt see it as a major issue.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:56 pm

I thought I'd better declare the high cholesterol as mine is often very high (but inherited and not caused by my diet), and can also be made worse by my underactive thyroid. I have low blood pressure which is something but my declaration hasn't added much to the overall price. I would rather declare it .... just in case!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes we take statins but on many companies there is no online declaration for them, only do you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. We have neither just put on them after health checks.

Peter,thanks for the info' re. Globalink. Just got a quote and it is easy and competitive. Will probably use it in a couple of months when ours runs out.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Why would you take them if you dont have high choles.theres been enough mixed publicity about them to question their use even more so when u dont actually need them. A pre emptive strike i guess like the dementia drugs that only the middle class who have nothing wrong with them get prescribed cause they are scared to death of not living to 100

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm

I am no medical expert but OH was put on them about 5 years ago because his blood pressure was high. His blood pressure is now normal and has been for some years. I was put on a different statin because my cholesterol was borderline and because I am quite thin the Doctor did not think a change of diet would benefit me. Also there is a family history which they take into account, my Father died at 53 from what they then said was hardening of the arteries. I think Doctors are now afraid of getting sued as I am often wary of going for minor complaints as last year I had a painful ear which led to hospital visits, a head scan, all for nothing as it went away on it's own.

PS there are no drugs that cure dementia.