Tourism

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Tourism

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:52 am

Ive been reading several news items that tourism is down by 25% to Spain for 2019.Some have been put off by the news media protests where there have been demonstrations by Spanish people saying that tourists are not welcome..I know the reason of these protests but you can always rely on the British twisted media to spin a horror story..What an arrogant country i live in.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tourism

Postby masterob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:17 am

I guess that’s a prediction as we are still in 2018!

Can’t say I’ve read or heard about such a prediction but if true there could be a number of reasons not least the implications (if any) of Brexit on travel to EU countries. Also, why would one go on holiday to somewhere where the locals don’t want tourists!

What’s arrogant about that?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 pm

That must be forecasts as it hasn't actually happened yet.

Could be a lot of factors.

Turkey is apparently good value and "safe"

UK has just had a great summer maybe Brits are expecting another or liked their staycation.

The dreaded B word may be a factor though I cannot see that for most normal folk.

Maybe further flung destinations are more accessible/affordable?

Spain? been there, done that.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 pm

I am sure Spain will welcome the millions of £s that the brits bring to there economy every year. They would be snookered with out the brits.

Football fan are probably not so welcome after the trouble before the England Spain game in Seville.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

masterob wrote:I guess that’s a prediction as we are still in 2018!

Can’t say I’ve read or heard about such a prediction but if true there could be a number of reasons not least the implications (if any) of Brexit on travel to EU countries. Also, why would one go on holiday to somewhere where the locals don’t want tourists!

Arrogant because they read the news headlines and beleive the spiin.Are you in Spain, do you know about the headlines and do you know about the residencial.areas that are doomod by noise ever single night? Apparently brits think they all should be thankful they are spending their money there.. LOL

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm

olive wrote:That must be forecasts as it hasn't actually happened yet.

Could be a lot of factors.

Turkey is apparently good value and "safe"

UK has just had a great summer maybe Brits are expecting another or liked their staycation.

The dreaded B word may be a factor though I cannot see that for most normal folk.

Maybe further flung destinations are more accessible/affordable?

Spain? been there, done that.
Well thats what people are saying..Spain is old hat...Infact one person said Spain is only for the poor holiday makers..Those on housing schemes...everyone pays but them!...I say dream on
.people need money to holiday in Spain..

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 pm

masterob wrote:I guess that’s a prediction as we are still in 2018!

Those with animals may be hesitant to to book ferries quite yet. The Brits always wanted stiffer requirements than pets passports. I just hope sanity prevails, but when you have two sides, nether of which is prepared to “negotiate” on any “important issue” then it seems it will be a vicious divorce. I just hope all those German industrialists who stand to lose an important export market stick the knife into Angie.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Didn't take long for this to turn into another Brexit thread :crazy:
Looking at the original report of tourism down, German tourism is down too. Probably some have gone back to Turkey where the lira has crashed. Some crazy people going back to Tunisia too. Let's not miss a chance to have a go at the arrogant Brits though, does that go for everyone on here too!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 pm

[quote="katy"]Didn't take long for this to turn into another Brexit thread :crazy:
Looking at the original report of tourism down, German tourism is down too. Probably some have gone back to Turkey where the lira has crashed. Some crazy people going back to Tunisia too. Let's not miss a chance to have a go at the arrogant Brits though, does that go for everyone on here too![/quote

There ia always someone ready to make a little bit more of another persons words..Yes british people are generally arrogant and they are well known for it..m not saying everyone is but if you wish to add spin to my words then go ahead..

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Sorry, it looks like i haven't uploaded the last post correctly..

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Are the German tourists arrogant too? From El Pais.

The INE has not yet published its results on tourist arrivals and spending in July. But according to the report from the first quarter of 2018, German tourist visits fell by 5.1% to 5.1 million and spent €5.2 billion – a drop of 3.15% less.

In the first quarter of 2018, German tourists fell by 5.1% to 5.1 million

Also this.
https://www.thelocal.es/20180830/spain- ... ed-in-july

Also prices have gone up a lot in tourist areas on the CDS. We ate out cheaper and better in Nice, France in May than we did on the CDS in late June.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Katy i didn't even mention the word Brexit ...you did....This had nothing to do with Brexit..It is about Tourism in Spain

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm

No you didn't Pamela but a couple of other posts did.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Lots of factors. People are going back to turkey and tunisa and maybe back to the greek islands that according to the reports at the time were awash with syrians etc. Also those who like togo further afield and whether those types of holidays are cheaper than they used to be. People always like to try something new everything goes around in circles interms of popularity.spain is far more than the sterotypical costas something people need to explore. Does make me laugh though when some act as if british people are the only non spanish taking holidays and living in spain. Like the entire country will crumble if the brits dont come.southern spain is awash with scandies and their money the dutch germans etc.that is typical british arrogance.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm

katy wrote:No you didn't Pamela but a couple of other posts did.
Acknowledged Katy...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:11 am

That link had a weird opening paragraph, katy:
This statistic shows the number of international tourists visiting Spain in 2017, by country of residence. Around 18.8 billion tourists arrived in Spain from the United Kingdom, ranking it as the most important travel market for the Spanish tourism industry.

Around 2.5x the entire world's population arrived from the UK alone? I didn't delve further because I didn't have the time to deal with the cookie policy but that seems a bit big, even allowing for multiple visits. Was it just a simple typo (although 18.8 mill seems high, even for multiple visits)?
I think the Telegraph pretty much covered what I was going to put forward:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... rs-fallen/
with the proviso that, whenever numbers decline, Tourism PR types always (always) go down that, "we're attracting the more discriminating traveller" line - although spending hasn't gone down as much as the headcount, tbf.

For Telegraph allergy sufferers (I took one for the team):
The "Never had it so good" couple of years where alternatives like Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt and Greece were out, are largely over
The Airbnb backlash in some cities
[My personal theory] The Spanish Hotel and Accommodation authority, CEHAT, is an all-too-easy anagram that is subliminally off-putting.

But, mostly, I'd say it's reason (1)

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 am

1bassleft wrote:That link had a weird opening paragraph, katy:
This statistic shows the number of international tourists visiting Spain in 2017, by country of residence. Around 18.8 billion tourists arrived in Spain from the United Kingdom, ranking it as the most important travel market for the Spanish tourism industry.

Around 2.5x the entire world's population arrived from the UK alone? I didn't delve further because I didn't have the time to deal with the cookie policy but that seems a bit big, even allowing for multiple visits. Was it just a simple typo (although 18.8 mill seems high, even for multiple visits)?
I thought it was busy in Mercadona :lol:
I So Bella tis you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am

Yes obviously a typo. I have read before that about 18 million Brits visit Spain every year but maybe they just count bums on seats. Agree with ibassleft about Airbnb re. drop in hotel stays. I think the ones that have gone to Turkey etc. are mainly families that want sun, sand and all inclusive. They go for the cheapest.

Cruising for families is becoming more popular too.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am

2016 a record number of Britons visited Spain at 9.6 million, well short of that articles 18.8 Billion and still well short of typo allowed 18 million......in all I'd say not a very accurate or trustworthy article
I So Bella tis you