Advice on Alora for potential holiday home forcretirement

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Jolly
Tourist

Advice on Alora for potential holiday home forcretirement

Postby Jolly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi all, i retire at 55 in Sept 2020. We ( my partner and an 8 year old ) love Andalucia and are seriously looking at a holiday home ( perhaps long term rental to start) with a view to a permanent move some years later.
Alora seems to suit our needs in terms of location, access to rail services, distance to coast, being between malaga, granada, seville and cordoba.
I wonder if any fellow forum members have any advice/ experience of Alora they could share please?
My partner speaks good spanish, daughter picking it up well and i intend to use the time between now and retirement to get myself more fluent.
We’re open to researching other areas (on advice)but on first glance we liked the look of Alora.
Any advice is welcome
Regards
Jolly

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Advice on Alora for potential holiday home forcretirement

Postby probe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi Jolly,

Welcome to the Forum.

We bought our place between Alora and Pizarra 12 years ago for exactly the reasons that you indicate and haven't been disappointed. Alora is a beautiful white town that has plenty of amenities including a broad range of restaurants, shops etc. It has a small British ex-pat community. Pizarra is nearby and has a very different feel to it - perhaps more industrial but still with a range of different restaurants and shops. The proximity to El Chorro and the lakes is a real bonus as well. Equally access to the main road up to Antequera allows rapid access to Granada, Ronda and Seville.

We bought our place as a holiday home with a view to retirement and this is still very much our plan having holidayed there now for 12 years.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other views on the area to come from Forum members.

Probe

Jolly
Tourist

Re: Advice on Alora for potential holiday home forcretirement

Postby Jolly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your views. I look forward hearing more.