Passport control post Brexit

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Passport control post Brexit

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

I've just come back from the UK and on going through a quiet passport control in Seville I asked what the plans were post-Brexit. The passport officer told me they have been instructed to accept normal British passports but to stamp them on every entry and exit.

That should sort out the non-residents from the residents, then.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Passport control post Brexit

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Goodbye to the 'long term non-resident', non tax paying gin and Jag set then, and good riddance!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Exactly!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 pm

But will it? Us law abiding rule following citizens quake at being embarrassed in a queue of folk. Anyone with the brass neck to disregard rules would just shrug. Have they got the manpower to process folk? , create inevitable bad will and bad press ( I can just see the headlines " ill Grandmother refused ……. wasn't able to attend granddaughters wedding"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm

They won't refuse entry and I doubt the passport control people will enforce much but the information (scanned passports) will go to a department that WILL look at the movement of that passport and events will follow ...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

They would need a lot of resources and technology. Not just Brits, what about all the Moroccans, Russians etc that live in the shadows. Passport numbers change too. They have never been able to implement the GB car rules.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Of course with all the new eye-readers at passport control it won't be long before 'they' will know where everyone is all the time. Ha! Ha!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 am

This only matters if the cliff-edgest of No Deals goes through. An agreed extension leaves things as-is and an agreed exit incorporates a transition period into 2020. By 2021, the ETIAS kicks in and UK residents can (indeed, must) apply online for an ETIAS visa waiver, allowing unlimited entries through its 3yr validity. Apart from a few euros, 20 mins online and another document for the passport section of the suitcase, hitching the Sprite Commode up to the Dacia to clog the roads of Europe could be much as before.

If, however, Breaking Point v2.0 gains traction and the UK starts requiring visas of visiting EU nationals then a reciprocal metric tonne of bricks could ensue.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 am

Lavanda wrote:They won't refuse entry and I doubt the passport control people will enforce much...
By 2021, without an ETIAS, that's exactly what will happen, as far as I read.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am

I can't see what changes there can be apart from the possible stamp. Travelling between a Schengen country and the UK and Ireland already means going through passport control when leaving and entering Spain as well as when entering the UK.

It is a different process when travelling within Schengen because there is hardly ever passport control (I have only experienced it once while entering Paris at Christmas last year) and it often takes no more than a couple of minutes from the plane to being outside the terminal.

At both Bilbao and Santander Airports it's easy to predict the gates because it must be the ones with the control booths

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Agree Mark, we already have passport control. When I used to fly regularly from Malaga to Amsterdam or Rotterdam it was just a matter of wandering to the baggage area.

There will probably be ETIAS if the UK Brexits or not. Won't make the queue any longer unless they follow the USA with the eye recognition and fingerprinting. Long queues in Miami if a few transatlantic flights have landed at the same time.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am

Was it Mark Twain that said

If voting made a difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.

Maybe it is for the best that pesky expats might not be able to vote.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am

Expats are allowed to vote. Not sure what your point has got to do with this thread.
At the moment all anyone can offer is opinion because nobody knows. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all changed due to chipped passports. Maybe at UK airports UK passport holders will have our own smaller lanes or maybe the UK will introduce a visa system similar to the one the EU has and the lanes will stay the same.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

markwilding wrote: Maybe at UK airports UK passport holders will have our own smaller lanes or maybe the UK will introduce a visa system similar to the one the EU has and the lanes will stay the same.
USA international airports have a couple of lanes for residents and they move very quickly. TM did say this but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since :mrgreen:

PRIME MINISTER Theresa May has overruled her own Home Secretary to say UK passport holders must get their own lanes at British airports after Brexit, amid fears of extended queues.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm

markwilding wrote:Expats are allowed to vote. Not sure what your point has got to do with this thread.
At the moment all anyone can offer is opinion because nobody knows. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all changed due to chipped passports. Maybe at UK airports UK passport holders will have our own smaller lanes or maybe the UK will introduce a visa system similar to the one the EU has and the lanes will stay the same.
Oops, wrong thread! Should have been the one in amigos lounge as to whether we can vote in May.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Ha! Ha! Olive. I guessed that as soon as I read your post.