Taking cigars to the UK

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Parilla
Resident

Taking cigars to the UK

Postby Parilla » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 am

Having a trip northwards later this month, partly for an old pal's 70th birthday bash. I've bought some of his favourite cigars to take (a third of the cost in the UK !!), from an Estanco so they are legit, tax/duty paid etc, but I cannot see any indications on the packaging to confirm this.

It's many years since I last took any tobacco products back to the UK but I seem to remember that the packaging used to have a kind of label stuck on to confirm taxes/duty had been paid on the goods, which was adequate for proof to Customs if needed.

If I were stopped at UK Customs, I can't see how I could prove EU tax/duty had been paid on these - have I missed some changes in the approach to tobacco imports ?

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Taking cigars to the UK

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 am

Have you got the receipt from the shop? The receipt would be enough. If not take a chance because unless its 100s that you are bringing through customs will be ok. They know who the regular travellers are and have a record of anyone who has previous for over allowance. Cant beat a nice cigar.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:50 am

If they are for personal use, you will be fine if you are travelling within the EU. The problems arise when this type of goods is being imported to sell on.
Either the customs union or single Market rules allow this. Even If you fill up a van with booze and cigs and can prove they are for personal use, you are not breaking the law. People head to France if they have a celebration or party to save money, all legit.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:02 pm

As costakid has said the receipt should be good enough, if you are travelling from mainland Spain no problem, Canary islands is a different ball game !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm

markwilding wrote:If they are for personal use, you will be fine if you are travelling within the EU. The problems arise when this type of goods is being imported to sell on.
Either the customs union or single Market rules allow this. Even If you fill up a van with booze and cigs and can prove they are for personal use, you are not breaking the law. People head to France if they have a celebration or party to save money, all legit.
Booze is treated differently to cigs and cigars. You can fill up will wine and beer and say your having a party, you can’t do this this cigarettes. They have to be for personal use and a reasonable amount is allowed. Try and bring in multiple 1000s and you will for sure have some explaining to do. No one pre buys enough fags for a year.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:03 pm

From gov.uk site. Keeping the reciept should cover you.

Although there are no limits to the alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, you’re more likely to be asked questions if you have more than the amounts below.

Type of goods Amount
Cigarettes 800
Cigars 200
Cigarillos 400
Tobacco 1kg
Beer 110 litres
Wine 90 litres
Spirits 10 litres
Fortified wine (for example sherry, port) 20 litre

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:12 am

I cannot give any advise as to your question but about 5 years ago at Malaga Airport the security were checking the bag of a passenger.
It was completely full of cigarettes, they did not take the bag from him but i expect they could not as not a security risk.
I wonder at what point are we breaking the rules with this one? is it possible likely the problem is when we entering at destination.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments. Unfortunately I didn't keep the receipt ( which makes me cannon fodder for my wife ! ) so I'll just have to wing it.

Parilla