Pet friendly Bordeaux hotel?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Pet friendly Bordeaux hotel?

Postby olive » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 am

We are planning our annual trip to the UK.

As usual we will use Lerma and the Hermitage ,Northern France. Tried and tested. Pet friendly hotels near or in Bordeaux always seem to be a bit hit and miss. We used Galerie Taty last time. No dining in the evening and car park didn’t look that safe.

Anyone got a favourite in or around that area please?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pet friendly Bordeaux hotel?

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 am

Hi olive,
I put this list together From Members recommendations some Posts back...............see my Post

https://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ly#p331155

I always use Lerma and the Ferry from Santander, skip France.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:55 am

Enrique. Excellent. I did do a search but not that far back.

I am not a fan of long distance ferries and certainly not the Bay of Biscay. We enjoy the driving and pulling off somewhere unusual for a break in France.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 am

I tend to grit my teeth and get past Bordeaux. Only stayed there once, without a pet. I like Chatellerault, but that's a hefty 7+hr run from Lerma (assuming you're not gridlocked in Bordeaux, which I almost always am). Nearer, about 6hrs, but more of a detour from what I suspect is your route, is a nice place to stay in Chancelade, on the outskirts of Perigeux. L'Etang des Reynats is inexpensive (unlike the Chateau de Reynats) with nice grounds and the onsite restaurant was excellent. That was in 2008-9 but, according to Tripadvisor it still is and a reviewer said their dog was very welcome. My satnav had trouble finding it but that was back then; I'm sure more modern iterations have no trouble. Onsite parking ample and not the sort of place to worry about randoms noseying. Very unstressed environs, actually.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:54 am

I like that suggestion to get past Bordeaux. Thanks for the hotel details.

It would be nice to take a different route to Northern France. Might even go via Paris.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am

Forgot to say, Chatellerault was the scene of our car breakdown back in the early 90’s. Car engine died 100 yards from an Opel dealer. What good fortune? Walked up and it was 5 minutes to closing time on the Saturday. Sorry cannot help we are closed. Green Flag recovered us to a nearby hotel and the Opel garage fixed the fault on the Monday morning. Failed crank sensor. From then on carried one for each of our VX’s. Naturally never had another failure despite them almost being consumables.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Vx/Opel are notorious (I have a Combo Tour for my Eurotreks) for not liking cheaper, aftermarket sensors so carrying your own is good insurance. Countless times on the forum people have problems and it's the sensor they got off ebay or the discount parts store. I'm considering carrying a used but working MAF and cps next time, although it has never skipped a beat. This summer, I did toy with taking a spare alternator in my garage but, nah. Of course, it punked out while here in Malaga and I had to get a new one.

If you're interested in ambling off the direct route, then I have done that a few times in the past. The Peripherique was a breeze compared to the Bordeaux chaos but I'm finding the bigger French cities (parking, esp with a roofbox, and my unwelcome Euro3 diesel) more of a chore for overnights. Apart from Chancelade/Perigeux, I've lunched in Ruffec and that area in general is a pleasant, semi-rural part of France. Agen (yes, strange route, I know) was a blast. We stayed in late August and it was their annual Prune Festival; a woman in a Basque marching band yoinked me out of the bystanders and gave me one of her drumsticks. Youtube probably still has "overweight English bloke in typically bad clothes drums horribly" somewhere. Orleans was a bit underwhelming, tbh, and I failed to spot a good eaterie.

Chatellerault was our most recent run back, and the outskirts Ibis Budget was near to an all-you-can-eat Cantonese buffet but with French postres rather than a few lychees and ice-cream. Mrs 1BL is making it conditional on joining me in the car in future.