An hour or two stop between seville and caceres

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

An hour or two stop between seville and caceres

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:35 pm

Any recommendations for somewhere to stop for an hour or so inbetwen seville and caceres. Will visit merida on a day trip so not there. Cheers.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: An hour or two stop between seville and caceres

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Zafra?

When we drove to Extremadura we stopped for lunch at Casa Lopez in Las Pajanosas just north of Seville. I can remember having very garlicky boar in red wine as part of a menu del dia!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:46 am

And maybe Aracena ?
It's a little bit further off the main road, but nice place, good restaurants and places to visit.

I first visited it in the early 1960's when I did my solo walk from Gibraltar to Lisbon...

Went back recently, much bigger now !

Regards,
Gordon

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:28 am

Finally going to caceres tomorrow after heck knows how many years of thinking we should go there! A 4 nighter over the puente with trips to merida and trujillo thrown in. Weathers looking beautiful and we have a last minute booking at what looks like a stunning old palacio courtesy of booking.com. seems to be alot booked up there although a couple of weeks ago quite a few came back on the site so i guess cancellations from the Madrid folks! Will look at stopping as zafra on the way up depending on how we do time wise.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 am

I don’t think you will be disappointed. Look forward to hearing how you got on.

We are finally, after waiting many years ( last flying visit was 1983) staying in Ubeda and doing Ubeda, Baeza and Sabiote. Excellent for anyone who enjoys Renaissance Architecture.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am

Lovely. We stayed in ubeda a few years back,amazing place and had a day in baeza. Have to look Sabiote up. So many beautiful places i had never heard of until we came here.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Just back from 4 nights in caceres. We drove up via seville with a couple of comfort breaks. Got stuck in abit of traffic for 30 mins or so outside of the city so decided to keep driving and not stop. Stayed a couple of mins walk from the main square in caceres. The old town is beautiful everything we had hoped for from seeing the pictures. The main sq is abit run down in places and could do with abit of T.L.C. it was pretty busy due to the puente holiday. Heard a few uk voices which was surprising.

We took day trips to merida. Wow at the roman theatro. Even more amazing in real life.the roman museum was free as we went on the 12th and is a very impressive building. The temple of diana was an amazing site as you wander down a randon side street and we saw the roman viaducts via a long walk as the tourist train wasnt running till later. The city was reasonably busy as it was a holiday but probably nothing compaired to what it should have been.. yesterday we went to trujillo which i loved. Beautiful main square and old part. Loved the old stone buildings which gave it a french feeling. So medieval and full of history some of the old palacio stone works were quite something. We visted the castle and the churches and pizzaros house which is now a museum. The only thing is they use the main sq as a carpark in the afternoon so get there early like we did for the best pictures!

The weather was perfect. Blue skies but you notice the colder mornings compaired to the south. It was worth the wait and if you like your culture and history i would heartily recommend a trip there. Photo ops at every turn . I only took about 300 over the 4 days!! Now i just need a holiday to recover. Lots of walking and along drive!

Next valencia..