Ryanair.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair.

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Just had a 2 hour wait on chatbot with Ryanair reference my refund. Told by operator that Ryanair are short staffed so they are not issuing and cash refunds until the virus crisis is over but vouchers are being issued. My argument was that when I rebooked a flight last week for June and paid on my card they took the money immediately but it takes months to get a refund. I paid for 2nd flights as I had already accepted a refund when original flight was cancelled, in original mail they said refund within 10 days. I am sure an indefinite delay on refund is not legal under EU law.

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Ryanair.

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:01 pm

One has to ask the question, how come they don't have enough staff to issue refunds but they have enough to offer vouchers ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:13 pm

exactly. I asked all the questions and when they couldn’t answer they copied and pasted a link from customer services. They will not answer the phone so you have to use the chat bot.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Costakid, you mention a refund for June flights, did you get notification that they were cancelling your flight? Just interested to know as i have a flight booked for early June and i have heard nothing from their regarding cancellations, however i already assumed the flight will not be happening.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:10 pm

The flights I am referring to are our April flights. June still on as yet but not sure if they will happen.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Sorry costakid, i was reading through too fast. I'm thinking they won't happen in June, mine are for early June so I've already resigned myself that i won't get to travel. I'm going to end up with a backlog of trying to get back refunds, we had flights booked right through till the end of Oct,a fair sum has been paid out between family members. Like you say they are quick to take the money...I think they are all as bad as one another but Ryanair have a cheek telling you that they won't be paying out till the virus is over... they won't be refusing payment for any new bookings. :thumbdown:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:02 am

It won't help your bank balance but one way to look at it is that you are all giving the airlines an interest free loan to help keep them afloat until things get back to a semblance of normality. It isn't just airlines making it hard to get your cash back.

It could also be that fares go back to 70's prices and so the "£60" might be used to buy a £300 flight with no extra money changing hands.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:35 am

An interest free loan! so who pays the interest for those who have paid for their flights by credit card and have either lost their job or have been furloughed? Not only that there is no guarantee that they will get back to normality, some may go bust so people like myself are doing what many are trying to do and get back what we have paid in case that does happen...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:53 am

Well it was a bit tongue in cheek. I guess we will all pay one way or the other for these airlines etc when they are bailed out. All this money sloshing around will come from the ordinary people not the rich.

Good luck with trying to get your monies back.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:53 am

My late March and mid April flights were cancelled. I followed the emailed links to request refunds which were acknowledged. The first two requests were given a seven working days turnaround and subsequent requests 20 days. Apparently I'm in a queue to have my refund requests processed so I'll wait for 20 working days assuming that this is now the default then contact my credit card company to instruct a chargeback given that Ryanair must be in breach of EU airline refund regulations for cancellations - seven days. I have no intention to claim compensation under the 14 day rule even though the initial flights were cancelled ten days beforehand. Would be grateful to know if anybody has been successful in this regard i.e. chargebacks

As an aside I received my car hire refund in full the next day after cancellation from DoYouSpain. In fact as GBP had plummeted I ended up a couple of quid in the money. Just goes to show it can be done!

Saludos

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:39 pm

My May Ryanair flight has just been cancelled. As Screagle wrote, they send you a link in the email which you only have to put your email address in and name and off it goes. Sounds a lot easier than Easyjet that wants you to phone for a refund, unless they have changed that. Easyjet aren't cancelling until 7 days before the flight apparently, so I'll see what happens when that is eventually cancelled.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 pm

I saw an article today which said that Oleary will not be doing social distancing on his planes, he has said that he will be flying his planes to full capacity where he can or he won't be flying them at all. The same article said what most people already know, that Easyjet intend to leave the middle seat empty.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 pm

I read that. An American airline said prices will have to go up.

I think that is a given. The cattle principle was exploited to the full in recent years to drive down prices. Maybe instead of 30 euros it will be 300. How soon will people actually want to fly? When everyone is vaccinated? When everyone is tested before boarding?

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:08 pm

So I messaged my card issuer and they only course of action they advised, other than contacting Ryanair for a refund (as if!), was to submit a section 75 (Consumer Credit Act 1974) claim for flight bookings over £100. I've not clicked on any email links to accept unsolicited refunds and think I will wait this out until the refunds start flowing. As GBP remains at a lower level than when I paid for a couple of inbound flights in euros I might even make a turn on these refunds! Well that depends of course that I don't get sh*fted on the exchange rate when converted to back GBP.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Email from Ryanair tonight saying if i dont use voucher within 12 months they will give a cash refund. Jokers.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:17 pm

I see Ryanair are selling flights from UK to Spain starting 15th May. According to this link: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... andemic_en -

"On 8 April, the Commission invited Member States and non-EU Schengen countries to extend the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel to the EU until 15 May." Note use of word invited. I can't help wondering how much of a punt are Ryanair taking here. Perhaps it's just rinse and repeat for them.

Anyway, back on the ground there how likely is Spain to permit non-essential flights landing on this date? I would imagine tourism is probably considered essential travel for Andalucía!

Saludos

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:48 pm

According to the de-escalation plans we are not supposed to be travelling to another province before the end of June
"No travel will be permitted to other provinces, without justification (such as to work), at least until the end of June.", so I guess flights to the UK would be out!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Is that defo?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Costakid, have a look at the link elusive provided yesterday from el pais page 41 of the coronasvirus thread, it provides all the info so far on what is happening regarding the Spanish governments de escalation plans.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:11 pm

To Pamela1 - thank you, that's a useful reference and I can see that inter province travel is pertinent. However, what I don't get is whether you can fly from the UK to a province, such as Cadiz, to stay there for the duration of a visit from 15th May onwards. Having skimmed the article I'm none the wiser. What have I missed?

Saludos