Ryanair.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair.

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Don't think you have missed anything Screagle because international travel was not mentioned.As far as i'm aware they are just concentrating on what is happening within Spain for the time being, it is a kind of walk through process and they will be monitoring progress as they move forward.When they eventually allow flights in and out of the country is so far not known but i doubt that will happen until they are satisfied that they are able to do so..I think you will have to look a lot further beyond May..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 am

I cant imagine they are going to allow international flights before jully when they wont even allow inter provence travel until then

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 am

You can only enter Spain if you are returning to your habitual abode.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 am

Let's be perfectly honest about this. No government official from any of the traditional european travel destinations is suddenly going to appear on a tv screen and say, "right everyone" corona's done now, on monday we can all go back to work, tourists from all over europe are welcome, all the beaches and bars can be reopened" as if by magic ! As El cid has ponted out you can only travel to Spain (for example) if it's your habitual home.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow but I think we need to accept that international travel will be well nigh impossible for the foreseeable future and we need to face that and live with it.

The fortunes of the major travel and airline companie's will be met by supply and demand, anyone who's willing to pay a premium for a flight will probably find that fares will be at least double what they were previously.

I have a friend who works for a major airline who tells me that one of the strategies being planned is to charge a premium for the window seat in the event that the C A A demands a one seat gap between passengers, if that happens then of course when booking, all the aisle seats will be taken first leaving only the window seats available----------------------------------------at a premium. Flights will never again be cheap !!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:29 am

We will see. I would counter that and say that low cost airlines has been a very successful business model allowing people to travel much more.
In the near future I'm sure things will take time to get back to normal but once a vaccine has been found?
I would say a greater problem for airlines will be the state of the economy and whether people will be able to afford to travel.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Rest assured the powers that be will be working on it. Tourism accounts for about 10% of the EU economy.

"Germany has taken cautious steps to ease its coronavirus lockdown, allowing small shops to reopen last week.
But in a blow to its tourism sector, its warning against worldwide travel has now been extended until 14 June." (From BBC)

"Calls for airline voucher system
Airlines have been severely hit by the grounding of planes, and 12 EU states want travel rules to be changed so that airlines can compensate passengers with vouchers rather than cash for cancelled flights." (from BBC)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Posted yesterday and lifted from Facebook Brits in Spain. So things are moving.

We know that some of you are wanting to return to the UK from Tenerife the Canary Islands, so we are pleased to advise that Wizz Air has announced its flight schedule for May. Starting on 2 May, Wizz Air plans to fly twice weekly (on Tuesdays and Saturdays) from Tenerife Sur to London Luton. This is subject to Luton airport resuming passenger operations on 1 May as currently planned. You should book direct with https://wizzair.com/. We cannot guarantee the operation of any co...
See more

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm

I would have to be desperate to use WizzAir. Don't know their schedule now but a lot of their flights begin in the Gambia, pick up in canaries before termination in UK. I know someone who does business in the Gambia and has used them. Even in Normal times he has had to endure Gambia to Tenerife-Malaga-UK

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:36 pm

O’leary will soon fill his planes up when this is over. His business model is to fly 96% full. Believe me there will be a price war with easyJet etc and flights will soon be back to 2019 prices. The first few weeks when everyone needs to get over and check their properties it may be expensive.

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm

When this is over which is a long way off there will be a great many people who will give flying a miss. The days of mass tourism are a very long way off imo.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm

I am with you KL Tupper. I cannot see people rushing to foreign climes cramped on a plane, testing or no testing. People have had the bejabbers frit out of them. Time will tell.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:08 pm

olive wrote:Posted yesterday and lifted from Facebook Brits in Spain. So things are moving.

We know that some of you are wanting to return to the UK from Tenerife the Canary Islands, so we are pleased to advise that Wizz Air has announced its flight schedule for May. Starting on 2 May, Wizz Air plans to fly twice weekly (on Tuesdays and Saturdays) from Tenerife Sur to London Luton. This is subject to Luton airport resuming passenger operations on 1 May as currently planned. You should book direct with https://wizzair.com/. We cannot guarantee the operation of any co...
See more

And anyone who belives this should be sectioned :-) !

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 pm

It isn't some fake news but actually an official post by HMA Hugh Elliott form British Embassy in Madrid. This is how stuff is communicated these days rather than go to a dull you gov.uk website. having said that, it may be there too if you have a few hours to spare.

I have just been reading more on what a mess the flying world is in. I wonder who is actually co ordinating getting it back to normality? You cannot just say you are going to run flights from say Gatwick to Malaga from say June 15th. Lot to do at both ends, pilots to be recertified as necessary. Enough air traffic controllers in France. It is an enormous list .

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 01, 2020 8:48 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52498691

Some interesting stuff here from Ryanair and Heathrow bosses. A bit worrying was the suggestion on TV about vulnerable people not being able to travel. Trains, planes don't lend themselves to social distancing. Maybe that is the new norm. Campervans are looking more and more attractive for anyone with an underlying health problem.

O'Leary cast some light on the scale of the refund situation. Anyone wanting a refund will get one but it will take months otherwise you can have a voucher. What he said about the scale of refunds made sense. He gave the normal figures and the millions of refunds that they are now coping with.

How can aviation be a level playing field when some European countries have bailed out or nationalised their airlines whilst others have not? Ryanair has 4billion cash pile ( see above!) so has a cushion. O'Leary's view was prices will be competitive and not hiked. You may well be right Costakid. He also thought that Spanish hotels will reduce their prices to get custom back.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:38 am

O'Leary isn't happy, he has hit out at the state bailout of his competitors,Luflansa/Airfrance . He has also announced 3,000 job losses.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am

I see O'leary's at it again promising all refunds will be paid within six months, look forward to seeing the first flying pig in history :-) !

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm

I hate myself for defending the man but his explanation seemed quite reasonable to me. Any airline has a standard process for giving refunds and maybe these number ten thousand a month. (He did give a figure) . Along comes Corona Virus and external forces cancel millions of airline people trips. There process isn't designed for that. It is unreasonable to expect him to hire extra staff. He did make the commitment that if you requested a refund you would get it but it would take time. I would be the first to agree that the delay helps his balance sheet.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Ryanair usually refund 10,000 a month, they are now refunding 10k a week but he has 25 million to refund. It will take a year I guess. You cant blame the airline for this. Scary times but i would rather Ryanair owe me than any other airline.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm

As long as O'leary runs Ryanair it will stay put..When restrictions are lifted he will be the first out of the block into the air, he won't hang about..

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat May 16, 2020 11:22 am

This morning i received an email advising that flights I had booked for Italy on the 21st of June had been cancelled & if I wanted a full refund click on the link below.
The link opened & all the information needed was my name,email address & booking reference. It stated that it could be up to 20 days for the monies to be returned to my account.
Look out for the pig!