Travel Covid requirements

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Gagafarah

Travel Covid requirements

Postby Gagafarah » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm

As we know a PCR certificate is required to travel to most EU countries and internationally, which is being issued in the US free of charge to all US travelers! While it’s so expensive in here.. Where can I get the best price for PCR certificate for traveling abroad ?..
Any response to my inquiry please?..
Last edited by Gagafarah on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travel requirements

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:39 pm

What countries need a PCR certificate? Not many that I know of.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Travel Covid requirements

Postby ebyard » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:46 pm

As I am sure you are all aware, from 23rd Nov a valid (certified) PCR test is needed for all arrivals by sea or air into Spain. This includes Gibraltar.
Tests are available privately and cost between £100 and £200, and must be from within 72 hrs at the time you arrive in Spain.

I assume this is done to dissuade other nationalities from travelling into Spain for Christmas.

Let us hope this passes soon - it will decimate the already ailing tourism industry.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 am

That is going to be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of bars and restaurants. I have been looking online to get a price for a PCR and the best I have found is £150.00

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am

If i have read it correctly you can drive from the UK to Spain without a PCR.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 am

Boots are doing it at selected shops for £120

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 am

That is correct; which I find quite incredible, but there we are.

We have to hope the covid numbers drop everywhere for them to re-open air travel. I really feel for people whose livelihoods are being destroyed by this pandemic.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:39 am

The chances of going back to the UK for a visit are nil for the foreseeable future. You need to quarantine there for 2 weeks but have to have a PCR test to fly back home to Spain 72 hours before doing so. The cheaper quick antigen test is not acceptable, so quite an extra cost (and hassle) to anyone thinking of coming here from the affected countries (which is most I think, about 60).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm

According to Trip advisor forums many companies are falling to return tests within the 72 hours. Then there is the possibility of cancelled flights. A days delay and the test is out of date. We are all grounded.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:40 pm

We were booked to go to the Canaries next week but cancelled because of the travel restrictions here. Due to the need to present a negative test on arrival at our holiday rental (from Nov 14) it would have been a bit of a hassle to organise between 72 and 48 hours before travelling (flying on a Tuesday that meant having the test over the weekend). It could have been the quicker and cheaper antigen test, but I think that is at least 30€ each from what I'd been told.

If the Canaries will be covered by the new rules from the 23rd then I wonder if they'll still also require the test for those arriving from the mainland. It has put us off rebooking to go there for the moment until it's clear what is required.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Costakid, out of interest does train travel from say France or Portugal into Spain require a PCR as well if car travel does not?

Saludos

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Wiksey, We should have flown to Caribbean at the weekend but I cancelled. Trip to Nice cancelled April, flights to Malaga June cancelled as hotels closed. Travelled Eurostar to stay with Daughter in Paris late August. Had a great time but not like a proper holiday.

Tests are meaningless anyway as we could have caught the virus after the test. I think Germany requires a rest too.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Screagle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 pm Costakid, out of interest does train travel from say France or Portugal into Spain require a PCR as well if car travel does not?

Saludos
Not 100% sure but it says air and sea arrivals. I guess it depends on how and when you got to Portugal or France because the health form declaration asks for all countries visited in the previous 14 days.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

I suppose that is why Gibralter is on the list.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:24 pm

katy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 pm Wiksey, We should have flown to Caribbean at the weekend but I cancelled. Trip to Nice cancelled April, flights to Malaga June cancelled as hotels closed. Travelled Eurostar to stay with Daughter in Paris late August. Had a great time but not like a proper holiday.

Tests are meaningless anyway as we could have caught the virus after the test. I think Germany requires a rest too.
We've had a number of other trips cancelled too .... UK twice, Porto, lost my cruise I booked for next year. We did go to the Canaries a few weeks back but booked at the very last minute as we guessed that the forthcoming one would not go ahead. That's what we'll do in future, just book last minute depending on the test requirements. Everyone has had their travel plans scuppered this year :thumbdown:

We were saying the same about the test. Test negative 3 days before travelling then catch it and spread it around thinking you're OK. Of course if the test is positive then you lose your holiday so a slight risk there too, it could be expensive as insurance won't cover you.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Friends of ours flew to Antigua just before the latest UK lockdown was announced. 14 days with BA. all went well until their 3rd day when they were contacted by BA to say return flights were cancelled and would have to leave 2 days later. So they had 5 days including 2 8 hour flights.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 pm

So, given that PCR -ve test certifications are required on arrival at ports and airports in Spain, then surely that leaves open the possibility of flying to an airport in Portugal and cross the land border by bus or train without the need for a PCR test? Having said that I'm struggling to find any means of timetabled transport other than prohibitive airport transfers from Faro to Huelva and beyond...

Saludos

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am

But, the problem of now travelling overland through Spain is that lockdowns are in force at local level. So u can't go in our out of defined areas without a state of alarm reason.
Police are issuing fines like smarties, its become so normal for them.

Also, the hatred towards foreigners is increasing daily. A good example, the discussion my Spanish partner had with his Spanish colleagues yesterday....the guiris have loads of money, so what if its costing them extra, they should all be tested at their own expense, etc.

Add on top of that the fact that Spaniards are blaming foreigners for the virus. Little do they know that the current strain prevalent in Europe started in NE Spain!!

So, my esteemed advice, stay away from Spain until they've learnt their lesson and start showing us respect and appreciation for spending our money here. Long may covid continue (2025 is the end date, according to 80 year cycle).

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 am

Screagle wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 pm So, given that PCR -ve test certifications are required on arrival at ports and airports in Spain, then surely that leaves open the possibility of flying to an airport in Portugal and cross the land border by bus or train without the need for a PCR test? Having said that I'm struggling to find any means of timetabled transport other than prohibitive airport transfers from Faro to Huelva and beyond...

Saludos
The current travel restrictions will need to be lifted before anyone can easily come over land. Although the borders are not usually manned, at the moment you cannot leave your municipality. Prior to that you could not leave or enter Andalucia so coming in from Portugal wouldn't have been allowed, if you are caught! (plus Portugal has its own restrictions I believe). An exception seem to be travelling to your habitual home but not sure the extra hassle and expense is going to offset the cost of having the test. At the moment it looks pretty difficult to be able to travel anywhere in the near future.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:11 am

Interesting insights, anyway shortly after posting I received notification from Ryanair that my SVQ-STN flight was cancelled so that's pretty much game over for me for this year. Refunds are now taking less than five days :thumbup:.

Having said that 'm still surprised how little reliable information there appears to be on public transport from Faro to Huelva which should have been a red flag and probably bears out what you've said. Buses from Huelva to Sevilla are still being timetabled and assumed to be running. It makes you wonder if it is just motorists that are being checked and fined - not other modes of transport.

Saludos