Travel Covid requirements

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travel Covid requirements

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 pm

If brits have to take a test to return home that will be the end of tourism this year. A family of four on holiday in say Benidorm trying to get 4 tests before they can fly back is not going to happen.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:10 pm

And 4 tests coming out. It will cost more than the holiday!! The other half will be ok and just pay up

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:24 pm

I think you can also anticipate holidays and flights NOT being discounted when( if?) we are able to holiday again.

Operators will be wanting to claw back money lost and there will be such a pent up demand they will be able to charge. If a few airlines have gone bust or mothballed parts of their fleet , there will be less capacity so another reason to charge top dollar.

Motorhomes are still looking very attractive.

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Ryanair is offering discounts for Easter and summer, for anyone brave enough to book.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 am

I booked a trip in June....fully changeable so the worst that can happen is I rebook to another date. Although not with Ryanair. They are up to their usual dirty tricks.

A friend travelling back to the UK last week changed their flight. Fully changeable no change fee etc, just pay the differential in the fare. So went to change it and was asked for the fare differential of GBP43. Then they went to look to see how much was the same flight if they bought the ticket as a completely new booking....answer EUR 25!

I booked with Vueling. I have had a few flights cancelled with them last year and it was all above board and switched flights for free or the fare difference as they promised. Although one booking the new flight was cheaper...but they didn't refund the difference!

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks Paddy Pumpkin :wave: ! I didn't realise that Vueling had flights to Dublin. Just checked their website now.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Neither did I! Barcelona to Dublin direct ....no use to me but maybe it's the start or something

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm

olive wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:24 pm Motorhomes are still looking very attractive.
Until you look at your permiso de conducir and see that you lost the entitlement to drive the bigger ones that you never thought you would need....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:29 am

Restrictions for non residents/nationals extended until feb 2nd

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 am

Think until april may at least. Any other members have thoughts on this

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:23 am

Not sure. COVID like other flu’s always dies out in the spring so Easter could see a change in policy and tourism open up.
UK could be left off the list though, just because they can. Everyone hates us now, depends how strong the tourism sector is in lobbying their governments.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Just heard that Italy will keep it's "state of emergency" until April 30th.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 pm

You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Depends on the uk figures but jet 2 and others have cancelled hols/flights for the next two months. I cant see much changing until the spring. I cant see getting to many places in spain before the summer the way things seem at the moment either. All pretty depressing
Last edited by elusive on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 pm

Agree. We will just be on another three weeks of lockdown ad infinitum. Italy are brave saying end of April. They must have assessed the risk of civil disobedience.

A friend ( who is an accountant) says once everyone is vaccinated things will be back to normal! So some folk will believe
they are invincible once vaccinated. You couldnt make it up.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 pm

I don't think it's about people thinking they will be invincible, most people will know that they can still get the virus but if the vaccine will do what it says and that is to protect people from becoming very sick then why shouldn't people expect their lives to go back to as near as normal as possible. Surely we all have to have a positive outlook or what is the point.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 pm

I agree, I think we need to get back to some sort of normality as soon as possible. I think the UK has handled the whole thing really badly but having said that, they do seem to be getting on well with the vaccine part much better than Spain, which is moving along way too slowly.

I was at the dentist last week and the guy told me that they were trying to get on board, which I though would be a good idea, but when I mentioned this to my niece ,a nurse, she threw a wobbly, telling me that only nurses should do it, which I thought was unbelievable. It looks like this government is going to have a hard time convincing interested parties that we are in unusual times and they have the make decisions that will benefit everyone.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 pm

There are many people who have the skills and qualifications to administer the vaccine (particularly the less-twitcy ones that don't need to be kept at low temperatures and must not be shaken). Tatooists, beauty therapists, dental nurses etc all have most if not all that is needed, maybe after a short check. There are loads of empty churches that could be used after disinfecting - a bit of thinking outside the box?
Last edited by peteroldracer on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 pm

30 million people in a day vote, its obviousley quicker to vote but surely 10% of that is not unreasonable if you get the army involved with transport etc. Mass vaccination is the way out of this fingers crossed.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am

I think it would have been smoother if the process had been run like normal flu jabs at GP surgeries and some pharmacies etc. Now seems to be centralised and government controlled with these mass centres. Having said that most other countries haven’t done any better.

Said on a local forum here that a sperm bank at a local stud farm has been used for their superior freezing equipment. Don’t know if it’s true. Most of those over 75 have been vaccinated now.