Travel Covid requirements

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travel Covid requirements

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 am

An interesting account of a family travelling back to the UK for a short break:
https://english.elpais.com/trans_iberia ... -cost.html

Certainly looks like a logistical nightmare of tests, expense and paperwork at the moment.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Yes it does Wicksey, i read it last night, i'm a bit puzzled though but that is only because i don't know what the rules of travel are when leaving Spain. Does Spain allow residents to travel to other countries in order to visit family members?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 am An interesting account of a family travelling back to the UK for a short break:
https://english.elpais.com/trans_iberia ... -cost.html

Certainly looks like a logistical nightmare of tests, expense and paperwork at the moment.
It is just as he writes. Daughter was called everyday too. Don't know why he was surprised about armed Police at Gatwick. been like that for many years. Tests at Gatwick cost £60 for return journey. Doubt if the average family will bother paying all that to take 2 weeks in the sun.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:04 pm Yes it does Wicksey, i read it last night, i'm a bit puzzled though but that is only because i don't know what the rules of travel are when leaving Spain. Does Spain allow residents to travel to other countries in order to visit family members?
I didn't think Spain allows travel for a holiday, only for justified reasons. My neighbours have gone back a week ago but that was due to a family medical emergency. We cancelled our trip to the Canaries last November after restrictions came in and we couldn't leave the province or region.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm

There is chatter on a local forum that a couple have travelled from Spain and staying with relatives as they came solely to UK get the vaccination. Probably valid as real names and locations forum.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm

It seems that he works on the English version of el pais although he resides in Spain. Maybe he has been able to use some kind of work related reason to get round restrictions, who knows..He didn't mention that he was travelling for an emergency, just that he hadn't seen his parents in such a long time and neither had they seen their grandchildren.. It's just that i was puzzled as to how he could travel when there will be many people in Spain who haven't seen their parents or families for months, not just those who have family in another country but those with families in Spain who live in other provinces.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Katy how are they managing to travel if there are restrictions. Do they not have to have some kind of documentation proof? or is that just for people entering Spain?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Maybe he wrangled it as essential worker if he is a Journalist? The exemptions are as long as your arm.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:41 pm

I haven't seen anything to suggest theres rules about leaving spain the borders arent closed hence all the arrivals from the EU.. Its the crossing of internal borders thats the issue. Its easy for him if hes getting a flight out of the same province he lives in ala madrid.. The reporter is british so nothing stopping him from flying to the U.k and then back with his residents permit

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Well no wonder people are so miffed off about not being able to leave their province when people living close to an airport can fly into another country.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:11 pm

The problems tend to arise during public holidays when people want to go there second houses or have family get togethers where each part of the family live in completely different cities from each other. I’m not sure people are so bothered about people being able to travel from another country. That’s a oddity the non Spanish tend to pick up on.

It is possible to move around from anywhere to anywhere for work reasons and not all regions follow the same rules.
My brother in law lives in The Basque Country, his office is in Cantabria but most of his clients are here in the Basque Country. No problem for him and that’s different province and region.
Many people live in Cantabria and work in Bilbao.
Here we are restricted to region not province and Madrid have some of the most relaxed restrictions. Bars and shops are can stay open until 11:00 and can stay open later for takeaways. Work is allowed during the curfew so the food can be delivered. Most regions don’t allow this.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Doesn’t those regions have some of the highest rises in Covid cases? According to El Pais. Pais Vasco +47%.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm Well no wonder people are so miffed off about not being able to leave their province when people living close to an airport can fly into another country.
Maybe that is the case at the moment Pamela.

When I cancelled I didn't think we were supposed to leave the province and as I was going to another Spanish province maybe I was correct in not going. However, if it didn't stop me from going to the local airport and going abroad, maybe in theory I could have done that, although it doesn't seem right if we are supposed to be in lockdown. It does seem ridiculous that I cannot go 10 minutes along the road into Granada but could fly back to the UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Even in the same Province or Region, It depends where you live. It might be the case that certain municipals will have to impose restrictions but they allow life to carry on. You just hang out close to where you live. Not like the UK where everything closed. No pubs no shops no schools..... but in both countries people carried on working.

Even international travel is different depending on where your are. The rules imposed by the UK are not the same as those imposed in Spain.

I read yesterday it is Andalucia which is showing the greatest increase at the moment.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021 ... spain.html

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Yes that is true Mark but we are opening up tomorrow and fingers crossed it will stay that way. :D I'd hate to think we were just going into another lockdown during the spring and summer months.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:50 pm

I’m not sure people are so bothered about people being able to travel from another country. That’s a oddity the non Spanish tend to pick up
----------------
The juntas f.book page was/is full of comments from spaniards not happy about all the foreigners coming in for hols when they cant leave their province to see family etc.

In theory i very much doubt theres any legal way of stopping a brit or any other national from leaving the country if you want to return to your native one. You see enough back and forth questions on F.B groups about tests etc etc.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 pm

I have received many jokes along these lines
IMG-20210317-WA0022.jpg
My neighbours are well aware that people can travel from abroad but there are restrictions of movement within Spain.

The restrictions have so many exemptions though that unless you are travelling with the family and kids on a Friday or Sunday then you have nothing to worry about. I have driven Madrid to the coast 4 times each way since January and only seen one checkpoint.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Crikey four times in four months.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am

To be pedantic it's 8 times in 3 months. Every 10 days roughly.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Can you be a bit more specific, dates and times etc. :wink: :lol: