UK to EU ban

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

UK to EU ban

Postby costakid » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Now we have this new strain that is no more infectious than the original one the EU are started banning UK flights. 5 countries so far and rising. I wonder if the EU are flexing there Brexit muscles and saying this is what we can do to you.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK to EU ban

Postby olive » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Don't think so. I am more inclined it is self preservation on behalf of the countries involved. Britain did the same for flights from Denmark when it was discovered that Covid had been transmitted to many of the mink on their mink farms and could make the leap from humans to animals and back. They slaughtered millions of farmed mink. Back in October the EU had bans on travellers from a number of countries of non-EU countries: Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Uruguay and China.

There is quite a lot of debate on forums in the Uk as to where this new virulent strain came from. Many suggest (with some justification) that it came from Spanish farm workers!. Could well be true. Seems odd it is in the South East on the routes from Europe.There is a strong argument for closing borders to unnecessary travel though Australia did and they are having problems.

One thing is for certain Covid isn't leaving the news any time soon.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 pm

But still direct flights from Italy to Wuhan.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Well its well and truely fecked up a family members plan for xmas with us. They only had their PCR test yesterday and within hrs he was put into tier 4. It would be better If they ban flights as at least it would take the decision out of his hands (presuming his test came back on time anyway)

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 am

costakid wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 pm But still direct flights from Italy to Wuhan.
Yes very strange given that Wuhan has the virus under control and life is almost back to normal. Maybe they test and quarantine all the arrivals from Italy

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:27 am

E.U is having a meeting this morning @ 11.00 to announce coordinated measures. For some reason spain refuses to take things into its own hands unlike other countries so for the min flights are still allowed. Family member got their negative pcr result back at 1am . £120 quid for a useless piece of paper! Dont think hes gonna take the risk of trying to get here. Thanks to the incompetant "etonian" boys. p$%@ up and brewery as always.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:46 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 am
costakid wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 pm But still direct flights from Italy to Wuhan.
Yes very strange given that Wuhan has the virus under control and life is almost back to normal. Maybe they test and quarantine all the arrivals from Italy
And you believe the Chinese goverments figures?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 am

Don’t forget to extend thanks to the Chinese. They are the real culprits. Getting a taste for meat, especially pork which priced out meat for the poor who ate dubious meat products like bats. That is assuming you dont buy in to the virus escaping from a Chinese weapons lab!

All governments are in a damned if they do and damned if they don’t position with most members of society using whatever restrictions are announced as “ targets” for what they can get away with.

You are not alone in having arrangements screwed up by not being able to travel be it here or longer distance.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 pm

costakid wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:08 pm I wonder if the EU are flexing there Brexit muscles and saying this is what we can do to you.
As it's individual countries, including Canada and Hong Kong, I don't think so
Ironic really, We were told that countries can't control their own border and the fact the Farage and Redwood are complaining is a little much.
I already knew that because I had to pass through passport control in Paris two yeas ago just after one of the terrorist attacks

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Spain along with portugal has suspended flights with the uk except for nationals and residents. And border control strengthened at Gib.
Last edited by elusive on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:19 pm

The EU called a meeting in Brussels today to discuss a united front from members. We may hear about it in a few days :wink: The Boris plan to scare everyone and justify the lockdown with little evidence has hugely backfired.

My relatives arrived before the ban (I nearly keyed in "Unfortunately"" :lolno:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:20 pm

elusive wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:17 pm Spain along with portugal has suspended flights with the uk except for nationals and residents. And border control strengthened at Gib. Source rtve
If flights are suspended residents will find it difficult to fly too.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Only Spanish citizens and residents can fly from the UK to Spain from tomorrow.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:33 pm

I suppose this time next week we will all learn that the new strain is all over the EU and further. Impossible that only a few cases in Belgium and Holland when we are so close and linked with freight daily.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Already a case in Gib

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:00 pm

The strain has been around Europe for months but it served the purpose for Boris and his loony sidekicks. A German Scientist has said so and says it is impossible for them to have their evidence right now. I wonder if some countries actually have the facility to differentiate the mutation.

Can't see airlines flying half empty planes, especially if many are one way only. Most are already consolidating flights.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Most countries will have it but either they are hiding it or haven’t got the the technoligy to differentiate between strains. I am starting to believe we just need to get on with our lives and because this could be here for years. The world will run out of money before this ends.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm

EU regulator said there is no evidence that the vaccine won't work with the new strain. So unless he is wrong then nothing has changed in terms of the end date being when enough at risk people are vaccinated. Fingers crossed the experts know what they are doing!

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Well said

Davexf

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 pm

katy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:00 pm Most (airlines) already consolidating flights.
I can confirm this - we´ve had cancellations today for tomorrow, and one client was "bumped" and is in amsterdam shipol airport for the next 22 hours till the next flight. With 2 little kids. Nightmare.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.