Don't bring meat sandwiches into Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
zanuck
Resident

Don't bring meat sandwiches into Spain

Postby zanuck » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Just received a UK Government email update this evening, on "Spain Travel Advice".

This one is a reminder that when travelling from the UK, one can no longer bring meat, milk or products containing them into any EU country, just got to make sure that all cheese and pickle sandwiches have been eaten en route :lolno:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... nd-customs

Not sure whether to post it here or the "You and the Law" part of the forum?

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Don't bring meat sandwiches into Spain

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Good old Brexit.

But we wont have wonky bananas so thats good.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Same as Travelling to Australia then.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Back to the "good old days" of the 1970s :thumbdown: :crazy:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 am

A bit ironic as most of the cooked meats will have come from Europe. Boiled ham from Holland, slimy chicken from Poland. Etc. I think most travellers can manage without a pack up as they used to call it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:55 am

For the early flyers who do not want to pay extortionate airline and and airport prices just make sure you have eaten them before you land. Personally I cant be bothered to take a pack up, I always go in Pret for a beef sandwich.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 am

Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Beginning to think the hamgate story was stage managed after seeing the hordes of cameras and TV stations in the background. Maybe a bit more propaganda in the realm of "you cannot have your cake and eat it". :lolno: They had confiscated oranges too.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:43 pm

For those who absolutely need their ham sarni, take it in the packet. I looked at the cheap ham packs this morning, they still have the EC codes on them (ok I am bored) some from Holland others from Dun Laoghaire, Dublin.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Can't bring ham...maybe Boris was telling Porkies

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 pm

I wonder how this will effect prices in the brit shops in the coming months? Hmmm
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Ham is not a problem because it is easy to find it here. What I might find difficult will be to bring over sausages, which I could pick up in the mini M&S supermarkets based at the airport just before flying back.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 pm

This only effects personal imports. Because the customs cannot be sure of the source of personal imports they just stop them. This happens at multitudes of borders worldwide.

There is an increased administration burden which costs money and that has to be paid for somehow. However that is true of all goods but food products have an extra burden so it will effect them even more. It may effect t availability of low volume producers who say only sell a few thousand items a year in Spain, the burden and cost for them will be a larger percentage so they may figure it is not profitable and stop.

I am looking forwards to coming through customs next time with some mince pies....Si Senor son Mince Pies...pero no lleva carne!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:49 pm

It’s worth remembering that one of causes of the Foot and Mouth Disease epidemic in 2001 was attributed to “Infected meat or meat products imported as personal imports”.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 pm

The guy was Polish, was he coming or going. Perhaps the UK should reciprocate and stop all the Eastern European carp food coming in.

I had a pair of golf shoes confiscated arriving in Australia. We had been playing golf in Singapore and there was just a few small particles of soil left on the soles. America is very strict too, people lose lots of purchases coming off cruises.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 pm

He was leaving the UK, given that it was the EU customs that stopped him. Anyway as said above this is an issue related to personal food importation. There were controls on personal food importation when the UK was in the EU and the UK are free to legislate to prevent personal food importation from the EU as they wish.

I doubt the UK will try to restrict commercial imports given the UK imports 26% of it's food from the EU. Unless Boris wants to eat tomatoes and strawberries only in June.
Anyway the UK signed a trade deal with the EU which allows quota and tariff free imports of EU goods, including food. I mean we can trust the UK when they sign an international agreement can't we? Oh wait....the EU withdrawal agreement they went back on that one.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Very nice tomatoes from Morocco right now thanks. Strawberries from Egypt, I wash them well. Do your homework about the rest.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm

I wonder, will I still be able to bring a spicy Chorizo back from Spain in my hand luggage.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Of course. The UK lets anything in

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 pm

katy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm Very nice tomatoes from Morocco right now thanks. Strawberries from Egypt, I wash them well. Do your homework about the rest.
You must be able to pay the increased price from the 350 million that Boris put on the side of the bus. Nevermind the environmental impact of flying the strawberries from Egypt or the fact that the Moroccan tomatoes have to pass through the EU.