No tourists until after summer

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: No tourists until after summer

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:25 am

And the vaccine doesn't stop transmission anyway. It may help alleviate the symptoms of the virus in some people. It is all based on a house of cards and the sooner in comes tumbling down the better.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 am

El Cid wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 pm But what happens if UK vaccine passes are deemed invalid because the vaccine was not given in 2 doses at the timescale on which the authorisation for the vaccine was authorised.

Sid
Good question. It might get political like the B word did or pragmatism might prevail. As Beachcomber says about what does the vaccine actually do. Tourists want to get being tourists again and Southern Europe wants tourists to come again. So win win. The big unknown of course is what transmission rates would be and crucially what the poorlyness factor would be.

Forgot to say, the rest of the world wont be desperately keen to have travellers bring “ the British virus” anymore than they will want travellers bring the South African variant.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 am

If on return you have to quarantine in a hotel at your own expense we can all forget about travelling. This has been discussed too many times for the government not to be considering it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Some countries have been doing this for a while. We cancelled our Barbados trip because it meant being confined to the room for 4 or 5 days until second test! £350 per night to sit on a balcony using expensive room service.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Bit by bit and inch by inch the control only deepens. :wtf:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 pm But what happens if UK vaccine passes are deemed invalid because the vaccine was not given in 2 doses at the timescale on which the authorisation for the vaccine was authorised.

Sid
Too late Sid, those vaccinated 12 weeks apart can't go back and undo what has already been done, so there is no quick fix and if there is a fall out over it then they will have to chose...it's either accept British people who have been vaccinated all be it 12 weeks apart or do without their money.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Is it really 12 weeks everywhere though. Some surgeries are still doing 3 weeks here and others 6 weeks. Strange vaccine if two are needed.

Latest news from Spain, Tourist Minister says Spain could open up in May. I shall have to cancel the holiday to Butlins then. ( :wink: Joke)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:45 pm

My daughter in law had her first jab yesterday, she's a dentist and had the Oxford Jab, she was told her next one would be April. My mother had her first vaccine on 30th Dec, they canceled her 2nd one and told her they would contact her to tell her when it was being rescheduled, but it won't be until March. Obviously different in other areas Katy.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:59 pm

katy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:04 pm Is it really 12 weeks everywhere though. Some surgeries are still doing 3 weeks here and others 6 weeks. Strange vaccine if two are needed.

Latest news from Spain, Tourist Minister says Spain could open up in May. I shall have to cancel the holiday to Butlins then. ( :wink: Joke)
Not strange at all to have multiple shots for a vaccine to protect you properly.
MMR, Hepatitis A, Polio, Hepatitis B& Diptheria are vaccines that all require at least 2 shots for immunity.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Our surgery says they will be doing the over 65s in February. Whichever sequence countries are doing the second jab it remains to be seen if the supplies holdup. Doesn’t sound very certain at the moment in any country.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm

BoJo considering the Oz option of traveller returning from a foreign country isolates in a hotel for ten days at their own expense.

So Spain faces suicide by Pedro or murder by Boris.

Wave bye bye to summer tourist destinations.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:25 pm

I think a lot of British residents wish Boris had done this much earlier. I bet they cannot wait for more variants that may or may not be resistant to the current vaccines. Brazil , South Africa , Denmark etc etc.

People could still travel 10 days isolation on arrival and ten on return ......

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Are we saying that when Australia and New Zealand did it it was a good thing but not when the UK does it.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:51 pm

ashtondav wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm BoJo considering the Oz option of traveller returning from a foreign country isolates in a hotel for ten days at their own expense.

So Spain faces suicide by Pedro or murder by Boris.

Wave bye bye to summer tourist destinations.
At the height of the pandemic last year people had written off travel for the rest of the entire year, i didn't subscribe to that idea and i travelled as did many who thought they never would. I won't follow the doom and gloom and subscribe to it this year either, who knows what next month will bring, or the month after. Wait and see.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:30 pm

. Had to test if I could post first!!

Yes indeed, I've had a fantastic year of travel, starting in March 2020. All of it, within peninsula and Canary Islands, on ferries, planes, buses, cars,etc multiple journeys.
It's been so pleasant that it has restored my faith in travel after years of hating it. No more pushing and shoving, no arguing. Very few people, lol. Just be a sheep and do as instructed by the police, security, etc. No hand luggage on planes, which I hope is the future!
I'm still not sick and I've mingled with lots of the great unwashed.

My dilemna now , is that I have to get a PCR to go to the Canaries - which has put a spanner in the works. I could easily be positive or even get a false positive. I'll know next week!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Hey you might even be asymptomatic and a super spreader! :lolno:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:34 pm

We were lucky enough to get to the Canaries in October just before the test requirement came in. It was lovely and quiet which was good for us, not so good for all the businesses that rely on tourists. The plane was full but very well organised and civilised. We paid extra to take our hand luggage on board with us which is an option. Well worth the extra to get on first and be off and first in the queue for our car hire without needing to go to the carousel.

We were due to go again November but were in lockdown so had to cancel. As the country is now again in lockdown we can't travel again for the moment and our municipality is being closed tonight, so back to square one again.

Jhonie99 how are you managing to travel next week in the current restrictions? From 17 January BOJA :*Summary of measures*
1. The Andalusian perimeter closure is maintained. You can only enter or leave with just cause.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:16 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-ton ... inApp=true

More on vaccine travel passports.

Still waiting for the EU definition of the travel passport by the end of January.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 pm

I feel sorry for those that have second homes there. Perhaps the UK should add them to essential travel list. Some I know have problems with house damage they need to sort out. A little problem can become a big one.

Not sure if Europe will be on the UK list this year, vaccine or not. Maybe Florida or Caribbean will be possible.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:07 pm

olive wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:16 pm https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-ton ... inApp=true

More on vaccine travel passports.

Still waiting for the EU definition of the travel passport by the end of January.
Since when did the vaccine give full immunity though?