No tourists until after summer

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: No tourists until after summer

Postby pepe jose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 pm Covid is a communicable disease just like the others that the guideline apply to. So why would it be treated differently? Additionally if seats didn't make any difference to who was contacted then why bother recording seat numbers?
Because it is Covid and the world has never seen anything like this before. Rules have been invented solely for C19.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi pepe jose,

"Because it is Covid and the world has never seen anything like this before......... some light History reading required.

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-ages/black-death

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... at-Plague/

And more recently............

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... -h1n1.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:48 pm

In addition
SARS and Hong Kong Flu

Covid 19 is not the first and won't be the last. The only difference is we travel more widely and more quickly

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Enrique wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 pm Hi pepe jose,

"Because it is Covid and the world has never seen anything like this before......... some light History reading required.

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-ages/black-death

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... at-Plague/

And more recently............

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... -h1n1.html
Well your both wrong because not only has covid killed a few million it has also brought the world to its knees financially. No other plaque did that. I think if you do your homework you will find there was no such thing as furlough, erte etc when the Spanish flu and black death plague were causing mass deaths. So for those reasons the world has never seen or wants to see anything like covid again.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm

And how is furlough relevant to an airplane?

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm And how is furlough relevant to an airplane?
My original statement was: Because it is Covid and the world has never seen anything like this before. Rules have been invented solely for C19.

Furlough was brought in due to covid and the devastation it caused in the UK. Not sure if you know that but its true. Honest

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:40 pm

Germany warns new Delta variant is spreading on the continent. We are all doomed

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57594954

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:37 pm

pepe jose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm
Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm And how is furlough relevant to an airplane?
My original statement was: Because it is Covid and the world has never seen anything like this before. Rules have been invented solely for C19.

Furlough was brought in due to covid and the devastation it caused in the UK. Not sure if you know that but its true. Honest
Please explain how the fact that their is or isn't furlough (or Erte or PUP or Kurzarbeit or Anti crisis shield, pick your country) makes a difference to who gets contacted in the event of a Covid case on a plane?

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:00 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:37 pm
pepe jose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm

Please explain how the fact that their is or isn't furlough (or Erte or PUP or Kurzarbeit or Anti crisis shield, pick your country) makes a difference to who gets contacted in the event of a Covid case on a plane?
Go back to the beginning, you said 2 rows would be contacted I said the whole plane in my opinion. Its COVID19, thing are not normal. Normal rules have gone out of the window. If the government decide all airport staff have to be quarantined and all the staff on a flight that 1 person was positive thats what will happen.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:06 am

Because all these measures, furlough etc are costing billions and have to be paid for somehow. And because many people are dying all over the world

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Well Spain have rejected Merkels ( and Macron’s) suggestion for an EU wide requirement for visitors from the uk to isolate for a few days. Greece rejected it too. Italy and Poland are introducing a fortnights isolation I believe.

Who knows what is the right approach anymore.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:00 pm

What we need now is for Boris to accept that UK Nationals (or EU citizens) who have had both jabs, don't need to quarantine for 10 days upon returning to the UK.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:14 pm

olive wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:56 pm Well Spain have rejected Merkels ( and Macron’s) suggestion for an EU wide requirement for visitors from the uk to isolate for a few days. Greece rejected it too. Italy and Poland are introducing a fortnights isolation I believe.

Who knows what is the right approach anymore.
No idea Olive, we arrived late in Malaga last Friday so we stayed in Torremolinos overnight before commencing our journey to the house, the place was dead even though they say things have picked up a bit The hotel looked like it was less than a quarter full..Perhaps things will pick up when the vaccinated start to arrive..The taxi driver who took us to our carhire office said the economy is nothing without the brits, he said they are badly needed.I do hope the arlines and hotels don't go raising prices to unafordable levels when brits do get the green light, that will be no good to anyone, they could cut off their noses and those of the many businesses who desperatley need tourists.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:42 pm

It would be something at least if spain made brits have a negative test before arriving. Currently the indian strain is around 10% of cases in Spain. We all know what will happen by the end of the summer

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:14 pm I do hope the arlines and hotels don't go raising prices to unafordable levels when brits do get the green light, that will be no good to anyone, they could cut off their noses and those of the many businesses who desperatley need tourists.
We are coming to Santander on Brittany Ferries on Tuesday, unless the Spanish Govt changes its mind; that's the third ticket we've had this month - BF cancelled our sailings to Bilbao twice in June (that's not counting the previous two sailings which were cancelled earlier in the year) and each time we've had to rebook, the price has increased from what it was the time before.
It would be something at least if spain made brits have a negative test before arriving. Currently the indian strain is around 10% of cases in Spain. We all know what will happen by the end of the summer
We've been double jabbed and are taking lateral flow tests at home weekly and are bringing tests with us to check that we're still negative whilst we're in Spain. The cost of private tests in the UK is horrendous when compared to quotes that we've had from clinics in the Torre del Mar to Nerja area, someone's either making a large profit, or the Spanish clinics are making a loss, I couldn't say which of those could be true.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Zanuck..hope all goes well for you and your travel..My booking was also cancelled 3 times since last Oct..
I think the private Uk test companies are more than likely making a killing rather than the Spanish running at a loss.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I have seen the Brittany ferries boat leave on at least a couple of Sundays this month. There was one around 1-2 pm last Sunday.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:31 pm

The british clinics are making a killing. Wait until it comes out that several ministers have shares in testing companies.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:59 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:46 pm I have seen the Brittany ferries boat leave on at least a couple of Sundays this month. There was one around 1-2 pm last Sunday.
The last Sunday sailing did not show on their timetable and they have cancelled all Bilbao sailings up to and including 19 July (as per their website and updates from their CEO).

I can only tell you what BF told me - this is first paragraph of their email of 17 June cancelling our Portsmouth-Bilbao sailing on 28 June; it was an identical one that they sent on 27 May cancelling our sailing on 7 June (re-booked only four days earlier).

"I am writing today with the news that your upcoming sailing has unfortunately been cancelled. Ongoing uncertainty over international travel has forced us to further consolidate our sailing timetables and I am sorry to confirm that you are among our customers who will be impacted".

I challenged them by email on several points in their email to me, not least the "ongoing uncertainty over international travel" statement, given that they had proudly announced the resumption of sailings from Plymouth (300 miles from us, as opposed to Portsmouth 150 miles away), a day or so beforehand. I believe, but they ignored, my suggestion that there were insufficient passengers booked to Bilbao which was the reason for both cancellations.

In October 2020, we were driving four hours north of Caleta towards Bilbao, when I received a text message telling me that our sailing was cancelled due to industrial action at the port - I could understand that one, but not the "uncertainty over international travel" statement.

I suspect that BF treat Bilbao as a secondary destination/departure point - I hope that our return from there on 30 July goes ahead.

There was no offer of consolidation onto other ferries on either the 7 June nor 28 June departures from Portsmouth, despite what it shows in their email.

We have further trips booked as a result of other cancelled crossings (I accept the Covid situation was the reason), both of those, in September and February 2022 are via Santander and will be our last ferry crossings.

Pamela1 - Thank you very much indeed, it will be nice to drive on the right for a change!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:53 am

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021 ... nated.html

Spain will require a pcr test or for the traveller to be fully vaccinated from Thursday