Tourists

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Tourists

Postby Lyric » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Where I live in the Campo near Torrox within about 1km radius there are three permanent residents, several Spanish second homes, all locals, and quite a few holiday homes of various nationalities. These have been unoccupied for quite a while.
Suddenly, within the last two weeks I am surrounded by visitors, German (2) Belgian (2) French (1) and a few more unidentified in hire cars.
How is this possible ?
answers on a postcard please.
L

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tourists

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:11 am

Theres nothing to stop people from other E.U countries from coming here as long as they have a P.C.R. hence all the foreign campervans that have been around here for months. Only non E.U bar a few countries are banned from coming in unless residents etc etc

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:25 am

However those new arrivals will most likely have broken the Andalucia law that you cannot enter Andalucia or travel between provinces without a valid reason.

I have driven Madrid to the coast 4 times and never saw a checkpoint on the journey. Speaking to someone who drives Malaga to Jaen 3 times a week for work and he tells me he has never seen a motorway checkpoint. Both of us have only seen checkpoints on entrances to coastal towns on weekends. I got stopped at 1 on a local journey and showed my ID with Madrid address. I presumed I was going to get grilled and have to get the documents showing why I was in Andalucia......but I just got waved through.

So in short there aren't really any checks within Spain, and as elusive said it is totally legal to drive in to Spain

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:27 am

I do find it annoying that they are able to cross Provinces and Regions, whilst as residents we are can't.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am

The rules say that if you enter Andalucia you have to stay in the province where your accommodation is located. I guess the campervans just ignore this as they are not located in a specific place.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:33 am

There's been a lot of German, French and Dutch registered cars around in the past month or two I've noticed. I agree it is 'funny' that we cannot leave our province but then foreigners are allowed in by road. I think it was only by air that it was restricted to Spanish residents/citizens being allowed in. I'm not sure that you even needed a PCR test to drive into Spain.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm

However those new arrivals will most likely have broken the Andalucia law that you cannot enter Andalucia or travel between provinces without a valid reason
------------
Moreno spoke about this a while back when the schengen residents were arriving. You can cross borders to your final destination but then must stay in that province. Not easy to police as if you are going north you will just say you are driving home.

E.U have pretty much,bar the first lockdown have always been allowed into the country by air and sea.Its just third country ala brits who arent allowed in unless resident etc.remember the germans flying into mallorca for easter. Its only recently they required a PCR by road but i dont know how that works with no borders?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:23 pm

People driving into France were stopped at the Spanish/French border and asked for their PCR tests, but then there must have been other quieter routes through the Pyrenees that weren't manned. The border with Portugal has been shut a long time but not sure if that is open now. Again, it must be impossible to man all the border crossings between the two countries.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Same in many parts of Europe. Many streets in Lille France run into Belgium without borders, parts of France into Switzerland etc.. The virus doesn't know to differentiate between EU citizens and other countries :mrgreen: German cases have now reached 166 per 100,000 yet they are allowed to travel. UK cannot travel at 25 cases per 100.000.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:18 pm

It’s not illegal to cross into Andalucia from another country so long as they are not on the banned list.

This has upset many Spaniards as they can’t even cross the provincial borders let alone go to Mallorca for a holiday.

I think it’s something also to do with the principal of free movement in the Schengen area. Individual regions can restrict free movement internally but the Schengen rules seem to override that.

Strange times, strange rules!

Sid