Portugal

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Portugal

Postby elusive » Fri May 14, 2021 8:52 am

So by inference that means regular holiday makers won't be allowed in at that point? If so where exactly can anyone go on holidays from the UK from May 17th
---------------
Gibraltar!! Lucky people :silent: :lol: NOT!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 am

Well, a few of them could - Gibraltar has fewer than 1,000 hotel beds which will not go very far amongst all the would-be British holidaymakers.

I wonder what the FCO advice says about travelling to Israel at the moment, although it's on the green list?
Last edited by Free at Last on Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 am

Lavanda wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 am Thanks for the moral support Pamela and Katy. I know I am not alone but it's really frustrating and I wonder when the new 'normal' will arrive or whether this is it. My OH asked if I would be better off driving but there are no ferries (yet) and the other way I would have to cross France. Not a good idea. If it were not for my parents I wouldn't ever bother going back to the UK. Extremadura suits me fine.
Motorhome is looking more and more attractive! You could do your own testing and have somewhere to self isolate whenever you crossed a country border.you could even declare your own rules - curfew times, how many inside or outside at a table, social distancing minimum distances, disinfection stations.

Being serious though, I have often wondered if I will ever see my Dad again. You must have the same thoughts re your parents.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 am

I always thought that Boris's roadmap out of lockdown was a bit iffy! He kept saying data not dates, but then went ahead and set dates which of course made people book holidays. Now it come down to a few countries on the green list, the majority of which you cannot visit for one reason or another.

There was a report from the Algarve on the News at 10 last night that made it look like it was open for visitors from next week, but I cannot see that is the case from today's papers. The reporter was standing by the beach and pointed out that you have to wear masks everywhere unless you are in the sea or on your towel. So I guess it's like here? That's one thing that the Brits are always moaning about in the DT's comments section, how they won't go anywhere where you have to where masks. That's not been publicised as much as it has for Spain.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 14, 2021 10:19 am

elusive wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:52 am So by inference that means regular holiday makers won't be allowed in at that point? If so where exactly can anyone go on holidays from the UK from May 17th
---------------
Gibraltar!! Lucky people :silent: :lol: NOT!
I knew someone would come up with that after I said we were going! :mrgreen: What it has got at the moment is NORMALITY. People who run down Gib are the ones who wander around Main St and go to Morrison’s. We are staying at the Rock Hotel, amazing views, good rooms, afternoon tea and next door to the Botanical gardens.
We won’t do much, basically sun sea and sand break. We may visit Trafalgar cemetery and the network of tunnels, the Roman baths. Some days we may go Spanish and have Churros. Another day a full English laid out under silver tureens in the hotel. Friends from Spain are coming in and we are eating at a place in one of the 3 marinas. Only there 6 days but enough to keep us occupied.
Maybe have a look before you knock it.

https://gibraltar.com/en/travel/see-and-do/

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 am

Sounds really nice Katy. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Portugal is back on the menu according to DM. If we can believe what anyone says anymore,

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 14, 2021 1:49 pm

Hang on. Boris having a press conference at 5pm. About the “Indian” virus. All being blown out of proportion. I think the government would prefer all the green list countries to ban us and keep us in lockdown without being blamed.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pm

The Daily Mail headline is hysteria gone mad..
:crazy:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 pm

BBC News - British tourists allowed into Portugal from Monday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57117918

Allowed in from monday now. Well until they change their mind again!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 14, 2021 3:38 pm

I wonder how many people have cancelled their Portuguese holiday for next week!