Portugal

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Portugal

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Portugal is now THE place to go on holiday. As easyjet keeps cancelling my flights from Madrid to Bristol, is there anything to stop me (Covid wise) getting on the bus to Lisbon and flying to the UK from there?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Portugal

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun May 09, 2021 5:34 pm

You will need to spend 10 days in Portugal first before flying to the UK otherwise you by law should be treated/act like you have arrived from Spain.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 pm

Not much use then.

Let's hope Spain gets on Boris' list soon. Maybe he has not been bribed enough yet and is holding out for five rolls of new wallpaper.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 09, 2021 6:00 pm

Wouldn’t make any difference what Boris does as Spain is closed for UK residents. You could come to UK and ignore quarantine unless you will be close to any curtain twitchers. Most stay at home a couple if days and then ignore it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 pm

I am all organised with my PCR test 72 hours before, my quarantine, my tests on Day 2 and Day 8 and I will be legal with no problems at all. All I need is a plane.

PS I also have my International Driving Permit and my TIE.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 am

katy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:00 pm Wouldn’t make any difference what Boris does as Spain is closed for UK residents. You could come to UK and ignore quarantine unless you will be close to any curtain twitchers. Most stay at home a couple if days and then ignore it.
My neighbours have come back last weekend from a month's visit to the UK. They were rung every day by the NHS to check that they were quarantining there. After 10 days their 2nd test results had not yet been returned and they were told to stay in for another 4 days :shock:

I know you are some distance away Lavanda, but you cannot get flights from another main airport here? Perhaps it's the Bristol end as well that's a problem as there are still some flights going to Gatwick and Heathrow but very few compared to normal.
Last edited by Wicksey on Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am

Just read this in the DT:
However, mainland Portugal remains off-limits to tourism, with no indication of when holidays may resume. As the UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office warns, 'If you are travelling from the UK, you can only enter [Portugal] for essential purposes, such as to live with immediate family members, or for professional, educational, health or humanitarian reasons.'

I wasn't aware of that. It says that Jet2 aren't resuming holidays until 24 June although Ryanair are flying from 17 May, but then they are prone to then cancelling them again.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 am

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am Just read this in the DT:
However, mainland Portugal remains off-limits to tourism, with no indication of when holidays may resume. As the UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office warns, 'If you are travelling from the UK, you can only enter [Portugal] for essential purposes, such as to live with immediate family members, or for professional, educational, health or humanitarian reasons.'

I wasn't aware of that. It says that Jet2 aren't resuming holidays until 24 June although Ryanair are flying from 17 May, but then they are prone to then cancelling them again.
The media kept that quiet didn’t they. Lots of restrictions when/if you get there too.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am

It's confusion all over again. Why do the media leap on some information and spin it so the the public think one thing when the government has said another. Portugal looked like an answer to me travelling to the UK but, apparently it is not. Or is it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... trips.html

Just think, last Summer I went to the UK for two months, used all manner of public transport, visited a few friends and places and all with only the mask-hand-distance rules. What has changed??? It's the same virus.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 am

Presumably no restriction on hiring a car in Portugal and driving it to Spain, France or Italy then?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 am

Exactly what I thought from the article.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon May 10, 2021 6:32 pm

So of the countries on the green list which ones will actually allow travellers from the UK to enter for a holiday..

As far as I can see it's only Gibraltar

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 pm

So curiosity got the better of me and I went digging to see what is what

SCOTLAND WALES AND NI...Still no holidays allowed
ENGLAND the list is below

Portugal...Will alow tourists from the Uk but not confirmed if you need vaccine and/or PCR test
Israel...PCR and vaccine confirmation
Singapore...no entry
Australia...no entry
New Zealand..no entry
Brunei...isolate or quarantine
Iceland...vaccinated
Gibraltar....free to enter
Falkland Islands...isolate
Faroe Islands...isolate
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands....you cannot visit without a permit and nobody lives there
St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island...isolate

Basically don't get out the bucket and spade yet as the minimum needed is fully vaccinated and or PCR test.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Easyjet just cancelled my 4th June flight. Now booked for 11th June. At this rate I may be in the UK for Christmas.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu May 13, 2021 7:50 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57106803

So Portugal is on the UK green list, but football fans who will travel there on May 29th will have to fly in and fly out on the day. They will also have to stay in a bubble and won't be permitted to mix with the public in general.

So by inference that means regular holiday makers won't be allowed in at that point? If so where exactly can anyone go on holidays from the UK from May 17th?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu May 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:50 pm https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57106803

So Portugal is on the UK green list, but football fans who will travel there on May 29th will have to fly in and fly out on the day. They will also have to stay in a bubble and won't be permitted to mix with the public in general.

So by inference that means regular holiday makers won't be allowed in at that point? If so where exactly can anyone go on holidays from the UK from May 17th?
Nowhere fast, as they'll probably all be well and truly in the grip of Lockdown 4 if the current Indian Variant hysteria in the MSM is anything to go by.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:32 pm Easyjet just cancelled my 4th June flight. Now booked for 11th June. At this rate I may be in the UK for Christmas.
Lavanda, i went online to book a flight for my sister, the plane had 3 passengers, this was for late August, it doesn't reflect the so called boom in holiday bookings, i think that is just a propaganda stunt to get people to book.. i think we will see more and more flights cancelled, the fuel to take off probably costs more than the seats they sold on some flights.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 13, 2021 11:12 pm

News tonight that Portugal is definitely off the agenda. (Telegraph). Not what their government has been saying previously. It seems Brussels is twisting their arm.
I have been looking at flights and hotels for Miami in January, more than double the price from last year, we’ll see.

We have changed the dates of our Malaga flight (now Gibraltar) 6 times now since last year. At least BA are making it easier to change on line up to 24 hours before departure.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 am

Thanks for the moral support Pamela and Katy. I know I am not alone but it's really frustrating and I wonder when the new 'normal' will arrive or whether this is it. My OH asked if I would be better off driving but there are no ferries (yet) and the other way I would have to cross France. Not a good idea. If it were not for my parents I wouldn't ever bother going back to the UK. Extremadura suits me fine.