Out on UK passport back on Irish to Northern Ireland

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
fyfin
Resident

Out on UK passport back on Irish to Northern Ireland

Postby fyfin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm

My mum is very ill and not likely to survive long. I need to get over to support my Dad who is 93 and will be very upset. They've been married 70 years and life has been difficult with mum's dementia.
I'm trying to plan a route and it looks like I'll be flying from Alicante to Belfast City airport. I don't know how long I'll be there so it's a single journey and I was going to use my British passport as I'm flying into UK.
However, flying back it will be easier to get a bus to Dublin and fly from Dublin airport to Almeria so my wife an pick me up. What I'm wondering is whether there is an advantage in using my Irish passport to get back as essentially that would mean EU and would make it easier at border control or is my thinking skewed.
It's bad enough trying to organise covid tests, here and there and isolating for 10 days and the UK location form and I haven't really checked what I need to do before I come back. I am resident for 8 years but have not changed to Tie as advice originally was that it wasn't necessary but I suppose from an EU country with an EU passport then I don't need it.
Any help appreciated.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Out on UK passport back on Irish to Northern Ireland

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Very sorry to hear about your mum, i know it's not easy having parents living in another country and especially very difficult when they are not well.
I don't think your thinking is skewered, if returning with your Irish passport avoids any hassle and confusion then that is probably a good idea.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 pm

If you have an EU passport, your situation hasn't changed due to Brexit. You do not need a TIE as you have the right to freedom of movement within the EU. I would definitely use the British one to enter the UK and The Irish one to enter the EU to avoid delays at the airport..

There are hardly any restrictions when Coming to Spain from the UK because of Covid so that is not a problem either.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Thank you. I don't like travelling at the best of times but this covid thing just makes it worse.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:49 pm

You have my support entirely, fyfin, and I hope your trip goes well.

I agree completely with Mark (for a change). I fly out to Heathrow on Friday having done all the Covid stuff and I, too, have no return booked. However, I do have the TIE and international Driving Permit because of Brexit. If you return on your Irish passport you should not need the TIE but if you plan to drive on a Spanish licence in N. Ireland you may need the IDP. The good news is that they are instantly prepared and given out once you have made an appointment at Trafico. If you still have a UK licence then you won't need the IDP.

Good luck with everything.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:27 pm

One thought did occurr to me. If you registered as a resident using a British passport, would it be necessary to update those details using the Irish one?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Do i now need to have an IDP to drive in Spain?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:14 pm

Yes you would have to change your paperwork to a an irish national,spanish resident. A poster did it in the last year or so. Wasnt to complicated from what i remember.

The only postitive re using the irish passport to get back in is if some sort of restrictions are put in place by spain re uk nationals entering and you then get questioned about not having a TIE only a green card. But if you enter on a uk passport you wont need a negative test before hand. Where E.U nationals do.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm

Not if you have Spanish licence, Pamela.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 pm Do i now need to have an IDP to drive in Spain?
No

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter ... ing-permit

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi,
Good find elusive.............. :D

"Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) None You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months."
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm

elusive wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:14 pm Yes you would have to change your paperwork to a an irish national,spanish resident. A poster did it in the last year or so. Wasnt to complicated from what i remember.

The only postitive re using the irish passport to get back in is if some sort of restrictions are put in place by spain re uk nationals entering and you then get questioned about not having a TIE only a green card. But if you enter on a uk passport you wont need a negative test before hand. Where E.U nationals do.
No the tests or vaccine certs etc are based on where you travel from not what passport you hold.

https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Thanks Elusive. :)
I have a Uk licence Lavanda so it looks like i don't need to get a IDP, not quite so sure about OTH though as he still has a UK paper licence. :lol:
How are your parents Lavanda?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:18 am

They are fine, Pamela, and looking forward to my visit on Friday ... onwards ...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 pm

I imagine they will be excited to see you Lavanda, i hope your journey goes without too much hassle. We were supposed to be in Spain on the 1st of June but it was put off to make way for a Wedding which was moved from Feb 2020. Now travelling the week after next if Spain lets us in, hoping our plans won't be unsettled but judging by the cases going up here anything could happen. Who knows, Spain could even pull the plug and stop flights from the Uk coming in if the variant continues to spread. :( FIL not doing so good since he fell earlier in the year and BIL's daughter has just had a brain tumour removed in Granada, she's only 31yrs old and not out of the woods yet..Worrying times but it sounds like she's in good hands. :thumbup:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 pm

So many worries, Pamela. I don't know which is worse; being in Devon with my parents and worrying abut my OH here or being with my OH here and worrying about my parents in Devon ...