Brexit and Travel

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Brexit and Travel

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 am

On Friday I did my first post-Brexit trip to the UK from Spain.

At the Spanish passport control in Madrid and before getting to my Gate to fly to the UK, I had to show my Passport AND my TIE.
My passport was stamped with the date. My TIE was scanned.

I'll report back as to what happens when I travel in the other direction. Although one lone experience is nothing on which to build any definite patterns, it looks as though Spain now have the means to clock in and out foreign travellers with residency and, presumably, without. 90-day rule, anyone?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Brexit and Travel

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am

Although they should not have stamped it, I don't think it really matters. They are not supposed to stamp residents passports, but if the situation arises that you subsequently get stopped for overstaying and show your TIE they would not stamp it with the dreaded "overstay" stamp.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 pm

I thought of that but they only way I will overstay my absence from Spain is if the Covid restrictions dictate that and I have no alternative.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Assuming you have a permanent residents TIE, nobody could care less if you stay away unless its for more than 5 years!

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: My OH might care (might)!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 am On Friday I did my first post-Brexit trip to the UK from Spain.

At the Spanish passport control in Madrid and before getting to my Gate to fly to the UK, I had to show my Passport AND my TIE.
My passport was stamped with the date. My TIE was scanned.

I'll report back as to what happens when I travel in the other direction. Although one lone experience is nothing on which to build any definite patterns, it looks as though Spain now have the means to clock in and out foreign travellers with residency and, presumably, without. 90-day rule, anyone?
Spain (and the Schengen area) always had the means to clock in and out people who are non EU citizens (both residents and non residents). It is just that the UK joined that group in January. That is why that queue for non EU citizens always moved so slowly compared to the EU citizens queue as that clock in and checking process took longer than simply showing an EU passport.

Interestingly though Spanish rules say you lose permanent residency if you are absent from Spain for 2 years where as the withdrawal agreement says 5 years.

If the withdrawal agreement overrides does that mean EU citizens with permanent residency in Spain have less rights than UK citizens with permanent residency in Spain? Can anyone clear up what is correct?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:30 pm

I think It makes sense that a non-EU citizen has longer because a Eu one could renew theirs much easier.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:15 am

Yes true but the withdrawal agreement only applies to UK citizens, so USA or Australian passport holder is still caught by the 2 year rule and would have to re apply.